A vatting in Wonderland

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

A vatting in Wonderland

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 pm

65% Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, 35% XO Cognac.

The WT sharp nose lives on. The floral elements of the Cgnac barely survive but have not given up completely.

'Tis in the taste that the Cognac prospers, taking a chunk from the rye bite and softening it considerably.

By my lights, this makes a formidable Whisnac or Cogniskey. Each stands alone on its own merits but neither suffers too much from the marriage.

Now, I will reverse the percentages, 65% Cognac and 35% WTKS.

The nose yields, as expected, to the floral Cognac elements. But the WT rye fights for its rightful place and does retake some of the middle ground. The nose is a battleground, with first the Cognac, then the WT taking the high ground. In the end the softness of the Cognac gives the ground over to the WT spicy rye...........although never completely.

The taste again favors the Cognac slightly, but the famous WT bite fights on and cannot be subdued. It has its final say in the finish, which, while retaining a touch of grapeness, has way more bite than Cognac ever has.

I like both vattings but would lean to the 65% WT, 35% Cognac combination. I like bourbon better than Cognac day in and day out but on some occasions, it is Cognac that I crave.

Although both vattings have merit, it is probably better not to play these games and take from each what it does best.............be itself.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:58 pm

Mike said "Whisnac"! :lol:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Not a name for the ages but nice blending work, Mike.

Many of the traditional recipes for the Sazerac cocktail call for a combination of brandy and whiskey. So you might try your blends in that way, i.e., add just a hint of anise (Anisette, Pernod, Arak, Absinthe, etc.) and some bitters. Maybe a little sugar if it needs it. The ones I've done come out very well.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:32 pm

I point out to store customers occasionally that brandy/cognac is to wine what whisk(e)y is to beer. So, obviously, I see them as corollaries, albeit with an obvious difference of fruit vs. grain.
Still, I find nothing at all unnatural or offensive, Mike, by the pairing. Though I can't call to mind a specific occasion, I'm reasonably sure I've done it myself. Heck -- doing 'stuff' is how we learn about 'stuff'.
Fact is, you've planted a thought in my mind... (uh oh!)
TNbourbon

Unread postby Bucc58 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:45 pm

I am going to try it this weekend. Tell you monday how it turns out.
Joe Young
Bucc58

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey