Dickel No. 8 Shortage

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Dickel No. 8 Shortage

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:06 am

Last Sunday, the Associated Press released a story about the Dickel No. 8 shortage.

What's interesting is that they have introduced a "Cascade Hollow Recipe" three year old substitute in an almost identical package. Apparently they intend to have it both ways, be upfront to people who are paying attention while slipping one past the people who aren't.

The misleading part of the whole exercise is that there is no such thing as Dickel No. 8. There is an inventory of Dickel whiskey, sold in different expressions, yet there is no shortage of the more expensive No. 12 and Barrel Select.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:18 am

Good point Chuck. The shortage is in aged Dickel period and they are using that to support No. 12 at No. 8's expense. Even so, when I saw that article, I was tempted to go out and get some of the 3yo just to see how it tasted. I am curious how much Diageo changed things when they brought the distillery back on line.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:45 pm

Yes, there has been a fair amount of discussion about the new Dickel, here and on SB - but no taste notes! If someone has the new one or both I know many here would be interested to read taste notes.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mark » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56 am

Ever since I can remember the military bases down in VA have always carried Dickel, both 8 and 12 in all sizes but on this last trip not a single bottle was to be found on the shelves...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey