Rye Whiskey, I Cry..........Handy and 21 YO Rittenhouse

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Rye Whiskey, I Cry..........Handy and 21 YO Rittenhouse

Unread postby Mike » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:06 pm

Having had my first sip of Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye today and done a review, I must say it is a world class whiskey.

HOWEVER, I gave a very good review to the 21 YO Rittenhouse Rye from Heaven Hill. And, while it is undoubtly overpriced, and doesn't have the same forceful appeal of the Handy, it is still, in my judgement, a 'great' whiskey.

I am not experienced enough, nor silver tongued enough, and do not possess a store of whiskey memories, to tell you exactly why the 21 YO Rittenhouse Rye is more or less the equal of the Thomas Handy Rye.

Yet, here I stand to do just that. In terms of its explosive aromas and boisterous flavors, it is no equal to Handy. But, its strength does not lie there. I will use the overworked word 'mellow' here because I can think of no better.

The 21 years in the wood has mellowed the Rittenhouse so that its appeal is in its softness and subtly.

Handy comes at you directly and appeals to your senses by way of a burst of aroma and flavor. It is just marvelously short of assaultive in its approach.

Rittenhouse, on the other hand, approaches you obliquely. It does not 'grab' your senses, it tugs them into nodding agreement.

In place of a perfect overwhelming 'imbalance' of aromas and flavors that stimulates both you senses and your mind, waking them all to complete attentiveness, Rittenhouse 21 YO Rye offers a perfect 'balance' of aromas and flavors that calms both your senses and your mind, leading to and offering repose.

Humans thrive in, and need, both the 'attentive' environment with all senses alert, and a 'reposing' environment, with all senses quiet......but alert in another way..........open to what may come without judgement.

Handy and Rittenhouse represent, to your foolish reporter, wonderfully opposing traits of the human character that are the 'ying' and 'yang' that make us whole.

I really cannot explain why I think Rittenhouse Rye is indeed the equal of Thomas Handy Rye other than the feeble analysis of an addled brain offered above.

Nevertheless, I assert that I know full well that on certain days, I will swear that Handy is the best Rye on the planet and on other days I will claim that the title belongs to Rittenhouse.

I have no discomfort with this. If you call me daft, I will readily agree.........but there you have it, in its full foolishness.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey