21 YO Rittenhouse Rye and 'The Meaning of Life'

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

21 YO Rittenhouse Rye and 'The Meaning of Life'

Unread postby Mike » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, hard as I try, I can find no meaningful connection 'twixt' 21 YO Rittenhouse Rye and 'The Meaning of Life'. That is not to say that such a connection does not exist, braver and sharper minds than mine can no doubt find it.

Howsomever, let me quickly assert that of the two (21 YO Rittenhouse Rye and 'The Meaning of Life'), I would much druther speak on the merits of RR 21 YO. RR 21 YO provides some immediate sensory feedback and while it cannot be quantified, the universe of discourse about same is limited, especially when compared to 'TMOL'.

I find the 21 YO RR to be greatly overpriced, especially since I paid the exorbitant price of $159 (not Monopoly money). Still, I don't want my money back, cause 21 YO RR is a first rate whiskey.............in fact, I have been considering buying another bottle (I am and have always been a foolish fellow in many ways).

It has the characteristics (in my tasting experience) that the best rye whiskies have. These include the assertive, bold, and biting spiciness that is moderated by a fruitiness that softens and add flavors.

It took me a while to warm up to rye whiskies, but I have done so now. They stand independently among the world's best whiskies, giving nothing away to any of them. The 21 years that the RR spent in the barrel were productive.

Whiskey aging is a controverial subject. Marketing would lead one to believe that the older the whiskey, the better, therefore, the more expensive. Such a formula does not stand up to experience. Some whiskies grow old because there is no demand for them as they mature and they may be lousy. Yet, marketers, being who they are, still seem to believe that can get a premium price because they are old. Wrong!

There are other old whiskies that have a special quality that I think only comes with age. That, of course, depends to a good degree upon your personal taste and palate. I like whiskies that are properly aged. The Van Winkles seem to have a special skill in finding such whiskies.

I submit that the 21 YO Rittenhouse Rye is among these whiskies. It has the boldness, bite, and spice of the best ryes and also a quality that I like to deem as 'subtlety'. 'Subtlety', to me, means a combination of balance and smoothness (a much maligned word that to me still carries meaning) whose opposite is probably 'rawness' or 'coarseness'.

RR 21 YO challenges you, not in a confrontational way, but in a positive way. It is like a wonderful piece of music, or a great story, or a picture or photograph, one that brings your senses to attention in a very rewarding way.

Without making an announcement of its qualities (and possibly its greatness), it gets your attention by NOT emphasizing those things that normally are judged to be the essential qualities of greatness. It can as easily be judged as not having this desirable quality, or that desirable quality, as it can by not saying it has this or it has that quality.

Undoubtedly, greatness in bourbon or rye is an illusive qualtiy. Still, to deny that it exists is even more ridiculous than to make the assertation that it must be consitituted by this or that quality.

The desire to 'define' greatness in rye (or bourbon) is certainly of a piece with the desire to define 'TMOL'.

Mayhap there is a connection 'twixt RR 21 YO and 'TMOL' after all, but you will never hear it from my lips. Because, in complete candor, I am not a wise man, having squandered so much of my time here on earth.

Still, that men invented whiskey (and bourbon and rye in particular), on balance is not a bad thing. Given human propensities, were it not whiskey that challenged us, it would have surely been something else. Judged against God (any God) of course we are lacking, judged against human standards, we fit the bill nicely. And I, like you, am only human!

I love whiskey, and in the scale of things, that it's abuse can bring great grief is insufficient reason to disavow it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:35 am

Ah, ye of overabundant faith. I, too, fell for the high priced "diluted" Rittenhouse Rye. Do yourself a favor Mike. Before you run out and buy another bottle of that overrated stuff, try to get a Willett's barrel proof rye or a bottle of Red Hook Rye. They both blow the doors off the Rittenhouse.
Also the Thomas Handy Rye is excellent.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:31 pm

Joe, you and I usually agree on whiskey. My brother and I also usually agree (I learned him good), but he doesn't care for the 21 YO RR either. Something about it suits me very well.

I have not seen any of the Ryes you like in these parts, but if and when I do, your recommendation is good enough for me (but 'cept for the 21 RR).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:10 pm

Mike,
I feel compelled, once again, to post the results of the "Great American Rye Shootout". As you can see from ALL the votes, Rittenhouse was not in the same league as the others. Maybe I'd be more interested if it cost 25 bucks (which is about what it's worth IMO).
Joe
Attachments
Great American Rye Shootout 1-17-07 at Joe's.pdf
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bucc58 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:56 pm

Maybe enjoyment itself is the thread between RR 21 and the 'meaning of life'. Without life you couldn't enjoy the Rye and without Rye you couldn't enjoy life to its full extent. But what good is all this without one mention of Barleycorn? :shock:
Joe Young
Bucc58

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey