2 Canada/whisky questions

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

2 Canada/whisky questions

Unread postby Vital » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 pm

1. Is there Canadian on your "favorite whiskies" list? Which one?

I've only tried 2 :
- Crown Royal has way too much barrel char taste in them, some cheaper expressions are impossible to drink because of that.
- J.P. Wiser's 18 is out of this world good. Never heard of it before. My wife got it for me from Canadian Duty Free airport store last year and I've been sipping it every once in a while since. Can't stop sipping yet can't let myself finish the bottle to make sure I still have some for next time :idea: Reminds me of bourbon yet differs enough to be in it's own category (rightfully so) Incredibly smooth, very rich and complex, fantastic stuff!
So 2 completely different experiences here, would love to try more canadian liquid just don't know where to start short of what I already mentioned.

2. Going to Montreal and Quebec for a few days around New Year's. Is anyone familiar with these 2 cities? Are there big liquor stores you'd recommend for good selection of high-end canadian stuff? From what my wife said there really wasn't much of a choice last year but I'd like to see for myself of course 8-)
Vital

Re: 2 Canada/whisky questions

Unread postby Squire » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:41 am

One that's widely available and not terribly expensive is Forty Creek Barrel Select which is exemplar of the Canadian style. This one punches above it's weight.

Montreal is Gary Gillman's stomping grounds and a visit to his site http://www.beeretseq.com/ may be useful.
Squire

Unread postby gauze » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

doesn't this belong in "Non-Bourbon Whiskey" forum?
gauze

Unread postby Squire » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Relocated as suggested.
Squire

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:37 pm

An interesting Canadian whisky I've tried recently is the 21 year old Collingwood Canadian rye. At around $50 per bottle it's quit affordable for such an old whisky and the taste reminds me of Scotch more than rye.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:37 am

WhiskeyCollector wrote:An interesting Canadian whisky I've tried recently is the 21 year old Collingwood Canadian rye. At around $50 per bottle it's quit affordable for such an old whisky and the taste reminds me of Scotch more than rye.

Thanks to Gary Gillman, I've had this. I found it very tasty.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:11 am

Canada is a beautiful country with friendly people. But it has a heavy handed high tax government and booze is sold at over priced "provincial" state run liquor stores. I suggest checking for deals at duty free when entering or exiting the country.

My experience is Canadian blended whiskey isn't all that good, but its fine in soda for the average drinker.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:31 am

One that's been fairly consistent for me is the 8 year old Seagrams VO Gold. Good price as well, at least in the US.
Squire

Unread postby Shell@freilich.com » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Wiser’s Legacy and Crown Royal Reserve are both excellent! Lot 40 is a fantastic, 100% rye, copper-pot distilled whiskey. (All 3 are cheaper at the duty free shoppes and at the Canadian liquor stores - than in the U.S.)
Last edited by Shell@freilich.com on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shell
Shell@freilich.com

Unread postby Shell@freilich.com » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Vital wrote:1. Is there Canadian on your "favorite whiskies" list? Which one?

2. Going to Montreal and Quebec for a few days around New Year's. Is anyone familiar with these 2 cities? Are there big liquor stores you'd recommend for good selection of high-end canadian stuff? From what my wife said there really wasn't much of a choice last year but I'd like to see for myself of course 8-)

The Duty Free shops in Canada, when coming back into the U.S., have wonderful pricing on Canadian Whiskies. Huge savings over the Canadian liquor store prices. I know that the Ontario duty free shoppes have decent web sites, and knowledgeable folks on the phone, so you can check out selection and prices before going. Worth checking out the selection before shopping in the Canadian liquor stores.

In Ontario, the liquor stores are all owned by the province. You can check on - line for price and availability by store location. You might check to see if the situation is similar in Quebec.
Shell
Shell@freilich.com

Unread postby whiskey buyer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:16 am

Surprisingly I find Canadian Hunter Rye to be really good for the price. I would not necessarily recommend it neat; I do find it to be a very pleasant drink on the rocks.
whiskey buyer

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey