Mellow Corn

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Mellow Corn

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 am

A bottle of Mellow Corn was standing out on the shelf when I was at the store and I thought, well, it's been some years, so I bought it. Primarily for cocktails or cooking I thought but tried some neat just the same.

I was surprised at the level of heat. I mean, I know its 100 proof and all but the harsh alcohol completely covered the subtleties of what is admittedly a low flavor profile to begin with, but still, I've had some cheap vodka that was far less hot.
Squire

Re: Mellow Corn

Unread postby gauze » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 am

I just bought a liter of this for $14 last night, I have a bottle I bought back in 2011 that I had some of last night and it didn't seem super young/hot tasting to me.
Is there a non-bottled in bond version of this?
gauze

Re: Mellow Corn

Unread postby Squire » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:06 am

Heaven Hill, who makes Mellow Corn, has produced some lower proof versions but I think distribution has always been a regional thing. Just not popular enough as a style to warrant brand emphasis by the distiller. George Dickel White Corn Whisky at 91 proof might be one available in your area.

In years past popularity of corn liquor has waxed and waned, at some point it seems almost all the majors made at least one brand.
Squire

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey