Non-Whiskey Spirits

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Non-Whiskey Spirits

Unread postby Strayed » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:34 pm

Thank you, Mark, for including that wonderful introduction to rum in the Press Release section. Rum was America's first spirit, and it's the one that the first commercial Ryes and Bourbons aimed to displace. Rum is still being produced in America, and the barely beginning world of micro-distilling is already producing some very fine rums. The article is a great little tour of the subject and I'll bet many of us bourbonheads are also rummies.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby parshooter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:48 am

I love a fine rum. Ron Zacapa Centenario and Pyrat XO being my favorites. Have not seen/heard of any American rums. How do they compare :?:
parshooter

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:55 am

I am not a regular rum drinker, but Chris poured me some last September while I was visiting Maryland, that I could drink on a regular basis. They were all aged rums. I find white rums very boring.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:08 am

parshooter wrote:I love a fine rum. Ron Zacapa Centenario and Pyrat XO being my favorites. Have not seen/heard of any American rums. How do they compare :?:

I've heard a lot about that Ron Zacapa Centenario and I think I might have to get me a bottle one of these days. I’ve never actually had Rum neat, always used it to mix a drink.
How would you describe its taste?

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby parshooter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:48 am

The Whiskey Viking wrote:
I've heard a lot about that Ron Zacapa Centenario and I think I might have to get me a bottle one of these days. I’ve never actually had Rum neat, always used it to mix a drink.

Thomas

I'm not one that can pick out specific flavors, but I can tell you this, it tastes like candy. Very sweet, but it does have some alcohol bite to it (very little) . I always drink it neat, never mix this good stuff. Definitly worth keeping a bottle on hand, I always have at least two :D
parshooter

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:02 pm

parshooter wrote:Have not seen/heard of any American rums. How do they compare :?:

There is a Tennessee rum distilled and bottled in a county adjacent to JD and Dickel called Prichard's -- made with Louisana molasses:
http://prichardsdistillery.com/

It has also bought and bottled some bourbon -- called double-barreled because he rebarrels it in smaller kegs.
The rum is excellent sipped neat, which is likely how you'd want to drink it because it's pretty pricy ($30 for 750ml) for mixing.
Last edited by TNbourbon on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNbourbon

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:48 pm

parshooter wrote:
The Whiskey Viking wrote:

Thomas

I'm not one that can pick out specific flavors, but I can tell you this, it tastes like candy. Very sweet, but it does have some alcohol bite to it (very little) . I always drink it neat, never mix this good stuff. Definitly worth keeping a bottle on hand, I always have at least two :D

The Zacapa is great. The taste is sweet as stated above but by no means cloying, and IMHO perfectly balanced by a long, fibrous and gently spicy/earthy finish. It pairs beautifully with cigars.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby Oregone » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:01 pm

I have to admit, the appeal of rum has passed me by. I've tried a few aged, dark rums that were highly recommended and just can't drink them. I love the taste of rum in baked goods and have done Cuban-style pork marinated and roasted in rum and fruit juice, but to me it just tastes too much like its source: molasses.

I love molasses, I love really good unrefined sugars but I don't want to drink it.
Oregone

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:06 am

Have not seen/heard of any American rums.

Don't let anyone from Puerto Rico hear you say that, parshooter. They make a little rum down there and most of them consider themselves (properly) to be as American as you or me.

To most Puerto Ricans, where we live is not "America" as opposed to where they live, it is "the mainland." We all live in "America" and by which I mean the United States of America and not "America" more generically.

(I had this drummed into me by a Puerto Rican girlfriend a few years ago. If I ever said anything that implied a distinction between Puerto Rico and the United States, I got an earful.)
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby tlsmothers » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:31 pm

Chuck, I visited PR a few years ago and had that drummed into my heads by PR friends, as well. I'm not a fan of any PR rums I've tried including, Bacardi, Boca Chica, or Don Q. Had some good fun with them while in PR, but nothing that made me come home to crave a sip at night after returning to the mainland.

I am a fan of the Pyrat XO, as well. A very sweet, caramel & vanilla filled aged rum. Their white rum is pillowy soft, but I'm afraid the New York market just lost it. It's the only white rum I've sold at LeNell's and I can't get it any more.

Mr. Prichard came by and visited with me during the holidays. His dark rum smells like butter pecan ice cream and surprises me each time with how dry it finishes. He also makes a peach mango rum liqueur that smells really tropical, but also finishes dryer than the nose would lead you to expect.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:37 am

I like the Appleton Rums. Obviously, the better ones are better, but I pretty much like all of them, especially in Jamaica.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey