Is Jack Daniels Doubled or Not?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Is Jack Daniels Doubled or Not?

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:25 am

I am going to leave aside the Michter's story until I read Chuck's newsletter which no doubt will arrive in the next day or so. The only thing I'd like to say now is that from all the previous gleanings, I believe, i) whiskey certainly was made at Schaefferstown from the early 50's until the mid-70's, ii) as John suggests, the last distillation may have been made in '74 (until start-up of the '76 Vendome pot still for a time in the 80's), iii) the whiskey made there was variously bourbon and rye, probably for the bulk market or Pennco's or its owner's various brands of same, and original sour mash whiskey, the latter being used for the jugs evidently sold from the 50's on, iv) possibly the jugs and decanters contained at times whiskey not distilled at Schaefferstown, v) albeit called bourbon (which it must be legally) the 1974 Hirsch whiskey bears evident resemblances to samples of Michter's decanter whiskey I've tried. This suggests to me that the Schaefferstown distillery had a "house style" which I'd call rye-oriented in line with the Pennsylvania traditions John has described so well, vi) the first person to stimulate an in-depth, international interest in Michter's/Bomberger, its heritage and its whiskeys especially original sour mash was, as far as I know, Michael Jackson in his late 1980's World Guide To Whisky.

I look forward to Chuck's reports and will add any further thoughts after reading the newsletter.

Now on to Tennessee. In John's restored report on Michter's on his site he states incidentally (if I read him right) that Jack Daniels is not doubled. There have been periodic statements on other fora, from people whom I'd expect to know, to similar effect. Yet Tim Sousley whose judgment and knowledge I also greatly respect, reported after a recent visit to Jack Daniels that the doublers are there and are being used, at least I thought that was what Tim has said. I think too he also said the arrangement of the equipment may suggest no doubling occurs but this is not the case and all the whiskey is doubled. I recall myself reading an interview with Lincoln Henderson some years ago in Malt Advocate in which he said the whsikey is doubled, at least, that is my clear recollection.

Mike Veach has just reviewed a 1960's-era JD which seemed to contain less fusels (as far as taste can tell of course) than the current version. This makes me wonder whether JD was doubled then but not today. Maybe it was doubled then and is doubled now and something else explains the taste evolution. As we all know, whiskey profiles rarely stay exactly the same over many decades.

Is there some way to pin down this question of single or double distillation at Jack Daniels? John, your knowledge is impressive and can you indicate your further views on this? Thanks to all who have contributed to this question and to those who have any further interest in it.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 am

Gary,
Chris Morris states that Jack Daniel's is double distilled in his Bourbon Academy Classes every year. I am sure it was double distilled when when Brown-Forman first bought the distillery and remained so for many years. I also suspect that as a cost saving effort, they quit double distilling for a period in the late 80's and early 90's, but the whiskey quality fell to a point that they started distilling again. My reasons for believing this is fact is that there is a definite decline in quality of the Jack Daniel's of that period. Also a whiskey writer told me when he was visiting U.D. that there was no activity in the tail boxes from the doubler when he visited Jack Daniel's. He did not think they were double distilling and depending upon the charcoal filtering alone.

I would surmise that the lower quality would eventually have destroyed the brand's reputation so Brown-Forman over ruled the accountants and started double distilling again. Jack Daniel's is the brand that built Brown-Forman to where it is today, so they can not afford to have it go downhill.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks, Mike.

I have not really found much taste difference in the last 10 years or more in JD, it seems to have a distinctive, continuous top-note which some people call by various names (anise, "lacquer", ripe banana, etc).

The best of the current JDs is Silver Select but its palate is still well within the range of the other JDs.

I blend a lot of whiskey as you know, at home for my enjoyment. I find I can detect JD in very small amounts, it has an earthy-type intensity which pokes through. In this role it adds complexity. I like JD but for blending only. Viewed on its own, except for Silver Select possibly, I think its best use is with cola drinks.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm

I have it on the highest authority possible, short of seeing it with my own eyes, and in fact confirmed from several impeccable sources, that Jack Daniel's is doubled.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey