Triple Crowns - is one Royal?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks, Mike, I sent you a PM some time ago explaining what happened, which I trust you received.

I appreciate very much that you sent them and hope to try them with Mike at a later date.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Mike,
I am holding them for Gary. He and I are going to have to get together for some serious drinking one day. Soon I hope.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:23 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike,
I am holding them for Gary. He and I are going to have to get together for some serious drinking one day. Soon I hope.

Sorry Mike, if it seemed that I implied that you might not be holding them. I know you well enough to be confident that should Gary and you never find time to get together on this earth, as you meet in the 'Great Hereafter', you will be carrying those whiskies for you and your friend to share there.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:45 pm

BTW, Mike and Gary, when you reach the 'Great Hereafter', if I am forgiven my manifold transgressions by the 'Great Spirit', you might look for me (since I am considerably older than you two and thus likely to arrive ahead of you) under the big sign that says, 'Bourbon, Beer, Oysters, Barbeque, and other Gustatory Delights'. You will find me cooking and yacking with the best of 'em!

Ain't life and its 'Great Hereafter' grand? You betcha!!!!!!
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:18 am

Mike, I am glad you see things differently from the those who hew to an old German expression: there is no beer in heaven so we must enjoy it here as much as possible. :) I am still hedging my bets. :) By the way you are not that many years ahead of me and the way I feel today (lower back pain issues, a cold) I think either things have evened out or you feel younger than I!

It is always a great pleasure to get together with Mike Veach even though the opportunities have been intermittent over the years due to peoples' schedules. And I'd do so gladly even if there is only coffee to drink. However something is coming up which may provide a chance to taste those specialties you provided, we'll see.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, since my uncle (Uncle Sam, that is) is not demanding so much from me as expected, I took the 'found' money and bought another bottle of CRXR. I have heard that it is going up in price and know that at one liquor store it is now priced at $190 a bottle. I paid the princely sum of $150, so those of you who would like may call me foolish.

I would certainly characterize CRXR as a 'delicate' whiskey. By that I mean that one must employ great patience with it. Like a shy maiden, its charms must be teased out. How is it distinguisable from other low alcohol whiskies with which it is likely to be compared? I submit that there is a subtlety of flavor and richness that must be given time and opportunity to unfold.

It will not come at you like an American whiskey, there will be no fireworks, no growl from the gut. It will take its time, and its beauty will creep its way into your sensory apparatus. It will open like a beautiful delicate flower with tantalizing hints at the edges. There is no sound and fury here, there is the gentle flow and calm self assurance that comes with maturity. This is a very mature whiskey. In my judgement it has no flaws whatsoever. While I don't want it everyday, I am very glad it is in my cabinet. At times it is the perfect accompaniment to my mood and I will enjoy it immensely.

Canadians are so often in the shadow of Americans, but they are an altogether admirable people who do so many things right. For my money, this is one of the best that they do. It is a world class whiskey. Listen! It is a like a great musical piece that will move you. Do not rush or underestimate this whiskey! If you do, you will be the loser!
Mike

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey