Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Unread postby Mike » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:15 pm

I certainly enjoy this product. It has the usual Van Winkle quality with the wonderful combination of fruit and spice. Does anyone know what the percentage of rye is in VWFR rye? If this has been posted before just point me.

In addition to enjoying it for itself, I used it recently in a vatting of 1/1/4 (16.5%/16.5%/66%, 1% for the Angels) with VWFR rye/WLW/Bernheim. I expect an email from the Angelshare pair wanting their 5ml (I was only able to make 500ml........if they do, they will get 50ml!).

I really like this vatting a lot. The reason I ask about the VWFR rye is that it quite prominent even though it is only 16.5%. The WLW insures a high proof, 96.......but the Bernheim almost seems to get lost, even at 66%.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I was surprised and delighted by the spice that goes quite well with the wheat sweetness of the others. For me at least, this is excellent bourbon, er, ah, I guess it is bourbon?
Last edited by Mike on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:07 pm

Mike,
This is indeed a very good rye whiskey. Julian, the supreme judge of wheated bourbon, also knows a good rye when he tastes it.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey