Irish and/or Rye Whiskies--what to look for.

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Irish and/or Rye Whiskies--what to look for.

Unread postby HondoJohn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:37 pm

I have been a bourbon drinker, more or less, for the last 40+ years. I want to expand my knowledge of the other types of whisky but no scotch please. I have tried Old Overholt and Jameson and liked them both. Any other brands anyone might suggest?

Oh yes...my favorite brand of bourbon is JTS Brown....it has treated me most favorably for at least 25 years and that is not going to change. Should give you some idea where my taste buds are.

I tried the Copper Fox and really liked it. However, I preferred it mixed 1 to 1 with water. For special occasions only however.

Greatly appreciate any and all suggestions

Ol' John
Attachments
JTS Brown.jpg
JTS Brown.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 9283 times
HondoJohn

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:31 am

Well John, I'm no authority on Irish Whiskey but you might want to try Wild Turkey Rye. Most folks really like it and it usually occupies a notch above Old Overholt.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:34 am

I'd add Rittenhouse Rye. Very good price, very good rye. As far as Irish whiskies go, I'd suggest Tyrconnell and Connemara, which are both Single Malts. I prefer the Connemara as the best Irish whiskey out there.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby HondoJohn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:04 am

Brewer & Joe Bourbon,

Thanks for your recommendations...I checked at my local purveyor of medicinal spirits today..but alas no WT Rye. Next time will look for Connemara and see if they offer any other brands. I live on a ranch 25miles from the nearest town of 3,000+ folks so the selection might not be so great.

Thanks for sharing your suggestions with a new guy! Greatly appreciated.

Ol' John
HondoJohn

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:56 am

'Ol John,

Can you get shipments from places like Sam's or Binny's into Texas? If so, that would open up LOTS of possibilities for you.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby sevenmag » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:24 pm

I wouldn't suggest any scothes even if you were asking, but for Irish Whisky I'd definately give Redbreast a shot. The 16yr Bushmill Triplewood is good, but not as good as the price it commands.

The Van Winkle 13yr. rye is fantastic but pricier than Wild Turkey's and Beam's.
sevenmag

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:15 pm

There are many fine Irish Whiskies out there, but for the "Best Buy" catagory, definetely get Power's Gold Label (if you can find it). A superb Irish whiskey with a great pot-still mouth feel. I get it locally here in New Orleans for $15.99/750ml. An absolute bargain and far far better than Jameson or Bushmill (Black label excluded). There is a pretty good Irish Whiskey site with lots of information at http://homepage.eircom.net/~whiskey/pajos.htm

Oh and as far as rye, my pick is Wild Turkey Rye, although I hear Sazerac is great. I have yet to try it though.

Good luck,
Bob
Bob

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:48 pm

The best standard rye on the market today, for my money, is Rittenhouse Rye bottled-in-bond. However, if Wild Turkey Rye is unavailable where you are, then my recommendation would be any straight rye whiskey available to you. Just make sure you see the words "straight rye whiskey" on the label, as many people mistakenly think Canadian whisky is rye.

Rittenhouse, by the way, is made by Heaven Hill, which also makes your J.T.S. Brown.

I would make a similar recommendation vis a vis Irish. Whatever is available to you, most likely the standard Jameson or Bushmills, is a good place to start. I like a Jameson now and then. If I'm in a bar where the American whiskey selection is limited to Jim and Jack, Jameson usually is my default choice.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:04 pm

Well, ole John, anybody who has been drinking bourbon for 40+years deserves to be able to drink what he wants. If you will send me a list of what you want, and if I can get it, I will let you know what it costs and me and you can agree on what you want to pay and I will send what we agree on to yo very door. I rob liquor stores in my spare time and often get some fabulous discounts!

It would give me a great deal of pleasure to assist you in this matter. As a few others on this site can attest, I have sent jellies, jams, juices, and whatnot all over this country and some of it miraculously turned into bourbon or beer on the way to its destination.

I am at your service! Send me a PM.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby HondoJohn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:10 pm

Mike,

Thanks neighbor! Got a few extra bills this month so can't take you up on the offer at the present time but greatly appreciated.
When I can afford some extras will contact you for some help in located some different stuff for medicinal consumption only, you understand.

Best regards,

Ol' John

PS..my apologies for the tardiness of the reply...as you are aware I am sure............."poo happens".....thanks again........
Attachments
JTS Brown.jpg
JTS Brown.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 9001 times
HondoJohn

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey