Rye...

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Rye...

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:35 pm

It will be interesting to see when Willett's "own" juice gets old enough to actually fill the bottles as to whether their stuff will live up to someone else's being bottled in Willett's bottles...

I will say...the Willett Family Reserve bourbon is one of my favorites...but I know it didn't come out of the Willett still or barrels...since they just started up their still about 2 years ago...all their stuff is pretty young in the barrels...but none-the-less their stuff in bottles today is good...I will certainly agree...although I've never tried their rye...

Thanks for the suggestion!
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Of course it's not 'their' rye, just their bottle and their markup.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Don't really care where it comes from, and whoever picks out the barrels must have a similar palate as my own. Whether it's their Potstill Reserve, Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, or any of their Family Estate bottlings, they are among some of the best bourbon I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Squire » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Your tastes is what counts RG, if we all liked the same thing this would be a dull place.
Squire

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:33 am

Trey45 wrote:Hope you don't mind a new guys opinion. I've been enjoying Jim Beam Rye for the last week. You might give it a try yourself. It won't break the bank, and it's actually pretty good.

I agree, I keep a a supply on hand, for the price it's not bad at all.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 am

Well...my neighbor called last night...he found a bottle of Whistle Pig at his mom's and she didn't like it so she gave it to him...turns out my neighbors wife actually bought it for his mom last year...so go figure...it was his to begin with prior to the gifting...LOL...but anyway he brought it home as he liked it and called me to see if I wanted a taste...which of course I said YES...LOL...

Anyway...it appears to be a 100% rye mashbill and very good IMO...a nice spice from the rye...a nice long finish too...at 100 proof...no real burn and surprisingly smooth...

I still miss some of the complexities of the other grains in the mashbill...but I have to say the Whistle Pig was a good example for my palate...I think he said it is a pretty salty bottle though at ~$70...which is right up there with the AE rye...and for me...if I were going to spend that much on a bottle...I'd probably go AE since I really like that sweetness up front it has from the Rum barrels...but the Whistle Pig definitely did NOT disappoint!
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:44 pm

crappie_fisherman wrote:Well...my neighbor called last night...he found a bottle of Whistle Pig at his mom's and she didn't like it so she gave it to him...turns out my neighbors wife actually bought it for his mom last year...so go figure...it was his to begin with prior to the gifting...LOL...but anyway he brought it home as he liked it and called me to see if I wanted a taste...which of course I said YES...LOL...

Anyway...it appears to be a 100% rye mashbill and very good IMO...a nice spice from the rye...a nice long finish too...at 100 proof...no real burn and surprisingly smooth...

I still miss some of the complexities of the other grains in the mashbill...but I have to say the Whistle Pig was a good example for my palate...I think he said it is a pretty salty bottle though at ~$70...which is right up there with the AE rye...and for me...if I were going to spend that much on a bottle...I'd probably go AE since I really like that sweetness up front it has from the Rum barrels...but the Whistle Pig definitely did NOT disappoint!

WhistlePig, Masterson's, and Jefferson's Rye are all from what most consider the best Canadian Distillery, Alberta Springs. Each is 100% rye whiskey, is 10 years old, but is bottled at slightly different proofs. They are all exceptional whiskies to my palate with a very clean grainy distillate. Not inexpensive whiskies to be sure, but worth it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Squire » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 pm

I agree Mike. I welcome the addition of the Canadian Ryes, good whisky is where you find it.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Just picked up 2 bottles of Willett 4 year old, a really good rye for around $35.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Having a nice pour of Sazerac Rye 6 Year Old (Baby Saz) (90 Proof). :D
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Birdo » Sat May 02, 2015 11:41 am

My first bottle of rye is the knob creek, and at $22, its a steal. I've only had a couple of pours, but its nice stuff, rye spice forward with a dry bourbon like finish. Mixes well as an old fashioned. It's a good enough to carry the Knob Creek name.

Might get a bottle of MGP rye from the Bulleit folks, that might be a good next step. Bulleit sources good whiskey.
Birdo

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey