Jacob's Ghost

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Jacob's Ghost

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Just tried this tonight.
As one who enjoys white whiskey, I have to say it's really not too bad.
It certainly doesn't have the character of M.B. Roland or Glenn Thunder, but then it's not intended to. As a substitute for vodka, I could see this ripping up the market in the middle-of-the-road-"I'm familiar with Jim Beam, so it must be okay" world.

My question is, has anyone ever seen a verified picture of Jacob Beam (Beohm)?
The one on the bottle is a laser-print and his eyes follow you whichever way you turn the bottle! (This must be some POWERFUL whiskey).
But what really catches my attention is how much he disturbingly looks like Fred Noe in 18th century sideburns!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Re: Jacob's Ghost

Unread postby gauze » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 am

I saw this on the shelf at the same pace I got some Larceny. $26 for a 750ml bottle. vs $25 for Jim Beam Black. I guess not storing it in barrels for 8 years really ups the production costs.
gauze

Re: Jacob's Ghost

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Heh-heh. Yep!
Of course, you also need to consider that it costs about a dollar fifty a bottle to make the whiskey, no matter how fancy the corn you use. Warehousing MIGHT be twice that, if you're amortizing a new warehouse, but not if it's been paid for decades ago. Taxes are the big thing, at $13.50/proof gallon for the feds and whatever for your state. I couldn't find anything on Rhode Island, but California sticks $3.30/PG on, and they're not known as a tax-friendly state. Double that per bottle for higher-than-100-proof (this is California; go figure. Your state may vary). So the cost to send a bottle of 80-proof, 1-year-old Ghost to the distributor (after which all bets are off as far as the distillery is concerned) should be a little under five bucks, while a bottle of 94-proof, 12-year-old Elijah Craig costs Heaven Hill, uh... a little under five bucks. Because it's higher than 100-proof, Buffalo Trace pays around $8.30 (in California) for each bottle of George T. Stagg you buy.

The REAL price of ANY whiskey is WETTWB (whatever-the-traffic-will-bear), and it always has been. P.T. Barnum had a phrase for some folks, involving how often one was born, but that's only with some brands, and most of us rationally prefer to spend a bit more for higher quality -- especially with our sippin' whiskey.

$26 dollars seems like a quite reasonable price for folks used to buying Stoli, or Rain, or Skyy (none of which are aged at all, nor are intended to be drunk neat), and will (at least for some people) taste better in the same mixed drinks as those white spirits would, don't you agree?

EDIT: I just realized that the state tax I was adding is per proof/gallon, not per 750ml bottle, so the cost is even less.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey