Canadian Rye Down

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Canadian Rye Down

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

There has been some discussion recently on the three 10 YO Canadian Rye whiskies, Whistlepig, Jerfferson's, and Masterson's. They are all 100% rye whiskies, which, by the way still require the enzymes from barley malt for the fermentation process to proceed. Whistlepig is 100 proof, Jefferson's is 94 proof, and Masterson's is 90 proof. I compare them as they are and make no effort to make them the same proof...... which would have to be 90 proof since there is not way to up the proof of Masterson's. That way has an advantage too....... I will see which of them I prefer as they come from the bottle. They are, by the way, all excellent whiskies in my opinion.

Word is that they were all distilled at Alberta Springs Distillery (well known for producing excellent whiskey) and may (or may not) have slight differences in their recipes. Word also is that none are chill filtered and as they sit in their respective glasses they seem to show that slight cloudiness associated with non filtered whiskey.

The nose of each betrays the rye grain from which their fermentables come......... a wonderful aroma to my nose. The noses are similiar, with the Whistlepig having a bit more leather in its aroma and the Masterson's is a bit more floral. The Jefferson's has more spices, such as cinnamon. They certainly seem to be cousins, if not brothers.

The taste is beholding to the proof.......... the Whistlepig is richer in rye sweetness and in rye peppery spiciness. The Jefferson's sweetness is a mite softer and has a spice closer to the cinnamon noted in the nose. The Masterson's sweetness is the softest of the three and has subdued spiciness....... and is certainly the most 'delicate'.

This is an excellent exercise in the effects of proof on a whiskey that, as far as I know has pretty much the same recipe and is the same age and comes from the same distillery (as far as we know). Whistlepig retains more of the barrel sweetness and more of the rye grain character, and, more of the rye bite. Jefferson's retains much of the rye character and barrel flavor, but definitely curtails the spicy bite of Whistlepig. Masterson's achieves a greater balance twixt the sweetness of the barrel (and the sweetness derived from the rye grain itself) and the spice that rye is so well know for.

Each of these whiskies will find favor with some folks........ and should, for they are all excellent whiskies (and not cheap whiskies, by the way). Of late, I have begun, for reasons unknown to me, to appreciate softer whiskies more and more. Now, it is true that what I call 'softer' whiskies may not be soft to you, and/or may seem weak or even less flavorful. Among these whiskies that find favor with me are Jack Daniel's Single Barrel and Evan Williams Single Barrel. It seems my 'goto' whiskies are now, more often than not, between 86 and 94 proof.

However, in no way does this mean that I do not find great attraction with the high proof (or barrel proof) whiskies that are available. For example, I recently did a review of Parker's Heritage Master Collection's latest release....... a blending of wheat and rye bourbons that is barrel proof and extraordinarily rich and flavorful........ not soft, not delicate, but just superb bourbon.......... but, for everyday drinking, I would prefer something a bit softer.

If you are of a mind to see what a difference in proof means to the taste of a whiskey, these three will open that door for you. Unfortunately, they are pretty expensive whiskies........ and Canadian, as if that makes any difference. They are also 100% rye whiskies and offer a great entry way into well made rye whiskies.... and to the flavors from the rye grain as distinct from corn or wheat (try Bernheim wheat whiskey for a taste of a wheat whiskey - 100% wheat, I believe).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Canadian Rye Down

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks Mike, It's always good to get first hand impressions. I think there's a lot to appreciate in Canadian whiskys, also softer bodied whiskys for that matter.
Squire

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Good review Mike, and it reflects well on Canadian distilling, however you have tasted the best of the best. All other Canadian whiskies I am familiar with (which is most of them) are inferior in taste IMO except possibly the new release of Lot 40. I will bring it to Cheryl's in June.

Gary

P.S. The enzyme situation at Alberta Distillers, known for its use of 100% rye mash, is opposite to what you said. The enzyme is not derived from barley malt, it is added as a separate commercial product. I found this useful discussion in a quick search which explains such "exogenous" use of enzymes: http://enzymesolutionsforbeveragealcohol.wordpress.com/
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Gary, I knew from your previous posts that Alberta uses 'synthetic' enzymes, but they owe their existence to barley malt..... that was my point. What is the new relesase from Lot 40? I like Confederation Oak from Forty Creek quite a lot, I think it is excellent whiskey!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby jacksmith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 am

Canadian whiskey is often referred to as "Rye Whiskey," where much of the historical content was from rye. With no need for rye whiskey to be used to make a sign "Canadian whiskey" same law, "Canadian Rye Whisky" or "Rye Whisky" in Canada, provided that they are "The aroma, flavor and general character for Canadian whiskey ", in some cases, Rye grain rate can be as high as 9:01.
jacksmith

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey