New Sazarac Rye?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

New Sazarac Rye?

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:59 pm

New Sazerac Rye whiskey

(John Hansell)--Good news for all of you rye whiskey drinkers. I was informed by the folks at Buffalo Trace that a new Sazerac Six Year Old Rye Whiskey will be released to the market in the fall in a very limited basis. I'll be getting an advanced review sample and let you know if it's worth seeking out.

Hey guys 'n gals, anyone know anything about this? It was in my Whiskynotes from Malt Advocate. LeNell, you gotta get on this for us NY'ers! Anyway, I found this VERY interesting.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:18 pm

I corresponded with Ken Weber about this rye back in early-March. He wrote then: "The rye whiskey will be a little over 6 years old and the taste is impressive. The glass is being made in Germany and we have not been told when the run is scheduled. It looks like we will have everything ready to go by July 1." He later indicated it will likely be released (in Kentucky, presumably, at first) in September.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mark » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Wow, this is great news that went from 'rumor' (though coming from who it did months agi it wasn't much of a rumor!) to fact. Sazerac rates up there in the top 3 or 4 rye category for me. 8)
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:25 pm

I've always thought that Sazerac should have an everyday straight rye whiskey readily available in every liquor store on the planet for a reasonable price. Buffalo Trace has the distilling capacity and expertise, but it looks like we're going to get yet another limited release and a young one at that.

There is no reason that a bottled in bond six year old Sazerac Rye in an inexpensive yet stylish bottle with a sexy label be produced on their highspeed line at a reasonable price. They could put Jim Beam's rye offerings to shame in a heartbeat, and at a competive price to boot.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:36 am

I will be eagerly anticipating this release!!!!! :D :thumbup: :cheers: :partyman:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:30 pm

I've heard the news, but don't know how long it iwll take NY to see any of it. May we all taste it together in Bardstown!
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:17 pm

The new Sazerac 6yo rye will be released by Buffalo Trace in 6-8 weeks, I'm reliably informed. Additionally, BT will be 'releasing' about 20 cases of its experimental bourbons -- distribution methods and areas TBA.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mark » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:43 am

Oohh, the experimental stuff finally makes a debut. Can't wait! Did you get any hints as to what the experimental bourbons may be/contain?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:22 am

Mark wrote:...Did you get any hints as to what the experimental bourbons may be/contain?

Nope, Mark. The above is basically everything I was told.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:55 pm

I was out at Buffalo Trace the other day with Julian and Preston and had a chance to try this rye in the quality control lab. It was quite good for a younger rye. It is being designed to compete with Wild Turkey and Jim Beam ryes and I think it will do well in the competition, but not blow them away by any stretch of the imagination. I think personally they would do better to bottle it at 100 proof instead of 90.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:15 pm

bourbonv wrote:I was out at Buffalo Trace the other day with Julian and Preston and had a chance to try this rye in the quality control lab. It was quite good for a younger rye. It is being designed to compete with Wild Turkey and Jim Beam ryes and I think it will do well in the competition, but not blow them away by any stretch of the imagination. I think personally they would do better to bottle it at 100 proof instead of 90.

Mike Veach

What?! No Bottled In Bond Rye?! :cussing:

Why that's a travashammockery! :rant:
bunghole

Unread postby Art L » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:57 pm

Has anyone seen, or better yet, tasted the Sazerac 6 year old rye or any of the "experimentals" yet?
and if so do you know where they are available?
Art L

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:54 am

According to a press release I got Friday, it was laid down in 1998 and is seven summers old. It is supposed to be out in "selected markets" (I pray your market has been selected) in early 2006 for $20 a bottle. The first 1,000 bottles will be numbered.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:15 am

John Vereeke from Buffalo Trace was hosting the Buffalo Trace dinner at our repeal day party. He told me it was bottled already and will be shipped out after the holidays. He is going to drop a bottle by the Filson for me. I will let you know when he does.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Art L » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:08 pm

bourbonv wrote:....will be shipped out after the holidays.

AFTER the holidays? :cry:
but the holidays would be so much better if we had some of these beauties to give and to receive... especially to receive! :D
Oh well, thanks gents! I look forward to hearing more about it when the young Sazerac is finally released to the masses.
Art L

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey