Delaware Phoenix Corn Whiskey

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Delaware Phoenix Corn Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Cheryl Lins gave me this bottle at our recent BourbonEnthusiast gathering in Bardstown. This is a 100 proof single barrel pot distilled product from Cheryl's distillery. It is from barrel 1 and is bottle number 2. It was aged for a few months in used oak barrels. It also contains some barley malt (the enzymes from barley are needed for the conversion of the sugars) and some malted rye as per the 19th century recipe.

The nose has a distinct (and very nice) buttered corn cast, with some candy corn aroma thrown in for good measure. There is also some ground corn and popcorn along with other organic aromas wafting about......... altogether interesting and lively!!

The taste is sweet and well rounded upfront, with the corn predominating as one would expect. The whiskey is rich, thick and oily and offers some of the organic grainy taste at mid-palate. It has the 'edge' of a young whiskey, but I find it far and away the most interesting and robust corn whiskey I have ever had (I must confess that I am not overly fond of corn whiskey).

I compared it to the corn whiskey from a Georgia micro distillery (13th Colony Corn Whiskey) which is 95 proof and also aged for a short while in used oak barrels. The Georgia whiskey is very nice corn whiskey, but I think Cheryl's whiskey has a lot more character with its earthy/grainy components. The 13th Colony has a slightly acetone like taste that is a bit offputting.

Thanks Cheryl!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Delaware Phoenix Corn Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I agree. Cheryl's corn whiskey is excellent with a very nice buttered popcorn flavor that also has a very nice mouth feel - almost chewy. I also like the fact that she has worked hard to keep her prices down to an affordable cost for the consumer. For those who live in New York, consider yourselves lucky since you can actually purchase this product in your local liquor store. This Kentuckian enveys you that purchase.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Thank you kind gentlemen. Your knowledgeable palates and wisdom are always appreciated!

I'm sure for some folks corn whiskey can be something to look for, and for others something to avoid (especially when the real deal, bourbon, is available). :roll:
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby Mike » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:32 pm

This past Friday, I had some Irish Corn Whiskey (I cannot remember the name of it) from the Cooley Distillery. It was quite a very respectable sip of whiskey, but not the equal of Chery's Corn Whiskey!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey