Mike's Envy

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Mike's Envy

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:34 pm

The idea of a Port wine flavored whiskey intrigued me. I have (and like, and drink) Port fairly often. My favorite is a 12 to 15 YO Australian Port with the name of Galway Pipe. The sometimes cloying sweetness of Port is attenuated in Galway Pipe by its years in oak. My palate tells me to try this combination (sometimes my palate doesn't tell me why this or that might work): 5ml of Galway Pipe, 45 ml of Four Roses Single Barrel, 40 ml of Evan Williams Single Barrel (1999 vintage), and 10 ml of Slane Castle Irish Whiskey.

This makes for a very nice sip, with hints of the grape from even the small amount of Port, fruitiness and spice from the Four Roses, softness from the Evan Williams, and malty sweetness for the Slane Castle. It is quite dry....... much more than I expected, but not at all tannically bitter. Just an excellent sip that I will surely make again.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Mike's Envy

Unread postby birdman1099 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Sounds really interesting Mike.....
I like Port as well, but never thought of adding it to whiskey.... :?

I experimented a bit tonight as well... I have a Johnny Drum 15 that I find thin, hot and one dimensional. So I added a splash of El Dorado 12 rum to it. The Rum thickened it up, toned it down, and added some depth. you may call it blasphemous... I call it delicious !!!!!
birdman1099

Re: Mike's Envy

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm

birdman1099 wrote:Sounds really interesting Mike.....
I like Port as well, but never thought of adding it to whiskey.... :?

I experimented a bit tonight as well... I have a Johnny Drum 15 that I find thin, hot and one dimensional. So I added a splash of El Dorado 12 rum to it. The Rum thickened it up, toned it down, and added some depth. you may call it blasphemous... I call it delicious !!!!!

Me call it blasphemous? I call playing with your palate. Keep playing.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey