Southern Comfort?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Mark » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:13 pm

While going thru a bunch of mini bottles I had I came across a bottle of Southern Comfort Reserve that Chris had gotten me almost 4 or 5 years ago. I remembered this thread and said the heck with it let's try this out. Now keep in mind I have not had soco for a long time but remember it well. Soco and Coke was my drink of choice for a while there while in the AF. Anyways, this stuff is rather good and definitely better than you average soco. I always used to get the 100 proof version but this is 80 proof. It says on it “A blend of southern comfort liquor and the finest 6-year-old straight bourbon whiskey.” It is still very sweet like regular soco is but that 'fake' caramel vanilla taste is actually replaced pretty predominantly by a background note of bourbon. I'd almost compare it to Wild Turkey Liquor but thinned out ALOT (by thinned out I mean no where as thick) and minus that honey flavor; it has been replaced with a more candy sweet caramel taste.
Attachments
SoCoReserve.JPG
Southern Comfort Reserve
SoCoReserve.JPG (59.15 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:33 pm

Great comments Mark, you nailed it.

To my shots of Reserve (poured by a friend in Florida), I added some 12 year old Ezra Brooks - just a dash to a couple of fingers. I found it took away any remaining cloying taste and replaced it with even more bourbon background.

Anyway, this Reserve is an interesting variation on the Southern Comfort theme. Anyone can duplicate it pretty much by making a cocktail of say 2:1 Comfort to bourbon(s).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Southern Comfort?

Unread postby edwardsa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:04 am

Thank you for your concern of my project. And Thanks for your cooperation
edwardsa

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey