Early Times -- I gave up with the Search function

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Early Times -- I gave up with the Search function

Unread postby Secesh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Tried it for the first time last night. Not bad... for the price. Truthfully, I only drink whisk(e)y neat or maybe with a drop of water. So I think it will work well after I've had a nice Single Malt or Bourbon to start the night off.
Secesh

Re: Early Times -- I gave up with the Search function

Unread postby Secesh » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Guess no one has ever tried it. Oh well.
Secesh

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Did you have a question?

ET, at 36-months, tastes very white-doggy to me but has some nice qualities. It also has that slight back-of-the-throat burn that reminds me of Jack Daniel's, whiskey made a little rough for people who like it that way.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Secesh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 pm

cowdery wrote:Did you have a question?

ET, at 36-months, tastes very white-doggy to me but has some nice qualities. It also has that slight back-of-the-throat burn that reminds me of Jack Daniel's, whiskey made a little rough for people who like it that way.

Excuse me. No 'question', just an observation. I'm used to people giving their own feedback and thoughts; without having to directly say "What do you thnk?" "Does anyone like it?" "Has it ever won an award for worlds best whiskey?", etc...

Every forum is different and now I know a specific question is required :D
Secesh

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 am

At 36 months, 80 proof, and aged in part in used barrels, it's not something bourbon enthusiasts typically get excited about. There's nothing wrong with it. It's well made for what it is. It's just nothing special. It's certainly something everyone should try at least once.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby JH » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 am

ET is a very good mixer - coke or ginger ale, but not straight, IMO.
JH

Unread postby gauze » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am

I have not been tempted to buy this stuff really, with so many good cheap real bourbons out there my time is spread thin enough.
gauze

Unread postby Satty Beach » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 am

I've never been tempted to try this either, must be the packaging. The same with Ancient Age, just ancient looking packaging alert. But, it's 36 mo and no GNS and I AM on a try everything kick. It's not bad. Simple, smooth whiskey. Much better than I expected actually. Tiny, tiny, tiny astringent? after taste but not enough to wreck it. Maybe a little mustyness from the used barrels if it's even possible to taste this. The house that puts this out really has their formulas down, I'll say that, it all agrees with me. Warrants inclusion into the {Bottom Shelf Shoot Out} along with Old Crow, Heaven Hill, other denizens of the deep.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby stresssolutions » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:20 pm

I've got a bottle, paid $10/litre, I like it as a mixer.
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby tinsmith » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 am

Early Times Kentucky Whisky was introduced in the USA somewhere back in the early 1980's, I believe, to satisfy a demand for lighter entry level whiskies. The "real" Early TImes bourbon was sold only overseas, and is still hugely popular in Japan. In its class, it is an honest whiskey sold at a good price. It cannot be called bourbon only because some portion of the barrels used are second-use. It is a very simple whiskey, with all the essential smells and flavors represented (toasty popcorn, a hint of rye spice, some malty sweetness, a little lightly-toasted oak with just a hint of vanilla), with no complexity or challenging flavor elements that night be off-putting to a bourbon "beginner". It is good as a mixer where you would not want to "waste" an expensive, heavy-hitting sipping whiskey.

Note that the newer "Early TImes 354 Bourbon" is finally hitting the shelves. "354" is true bourbon, like the export version, if still at the lighter end of the spectrum (although I think "softer" is more accurate than "lighter") , but it does have more character than the ET "Kentucky".

I value whiskies in this class. I do not always want to have a drink that demands my full attention and concentration with every tiny little sip. Having a lighter, but competently made, simpler whiskey also helps me avoid taking my high-end stuff for granted. Softer whiskies, I find, are also more food-friendly (same goes for wines).
tinsmith

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

ET is booze and it drinks cheap without anything offensive but a lack of flavor. It's mixing bourbon. Had a ET Mint Julep at Churchill Downs for $10. That was pricey, but you have to have the iconic drink when at churchill downs.
Birdo

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey