Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameKnob Creek Single Barrel
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content120 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age9
Views (since 20080612) 81288
Bottling Info

Review from Tgb903609 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2347, Created:20150831181225, Updated:20150902145902)
Purchased at:Bevmo Scottsdale
Purchased for:39
Proof Of this Bottle:120
Nose:sweet caramel vanilla and fresh wood with hints of mocha and brown sugar maple, thick aroma but doesn't linger too long
Taste:notes of caramel, sweet grains, sweet vanilla cedar wood, and corn overtones with a rye spice backbone thick molasses start chewy mid until the finish
Finish:smooth orange peel and stone fruit despite the cask strength, medium finish with ethanol on the back of the tongue but didn't linger long
Overall:one of my favorite high proof bourbons, easier to drink than most others of any strength and price point would recommend to anyone who loves the classic bourbon taste but wants some more character and depth

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from masterbuilder (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2296, Created:20140316004945) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:PLCB - the Commonwealth monopoly
Purchased for:$47.00 plus a lot of tax
Info on this bottle:aged nine years - single barrel reserve
Nose:Tremendously full and complex. Overall sweet - brown sugar, apple and a hint of spice. The alcohol is lurking there as well.
Taste:Wood first, then an explosion of fruit and flavor. Apple, then caramel, then oak. The alcohol's always there, but it doesn't overpower the flavors.
Finish:Nice, leggy finish. A little burn, a little rye, a little vanilla, then nice wood on the sides of the tongue. Finally ethanol on the roof of the mouth.
Overall:I've taken to sipping from a snifter with water on the side lately. I think this gives me a better insight on the whiskeys.

I understand, that as a resident of Pennsylvania, that I don't have access to many of the better Bourbons available.

That said, this is one of the best Bourbons I've tasted for a long time. Sweet, full and flavorful with just enough rye and spice to keep it interesting. The alcohol keeps it ballsy throughout (it is 120 proof), but the whiskey is very drinkable.

Beam have done an excellent job with this one. If I were serving a foreign visitor the taste of American spirits, I'd not hesitate to pour this one. Highly recommend.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from RTB92 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2283, Created:20131211103928)
Purchased at:Smoke Rise Bottle Shoppe (Stone Mountain, GA)
Purchased for:$39.99
Nose:The classic bourbony vanilla/caramel smell is the second thing I noticed (first was the ethanol.) Then came the apple spice. I may have noticed more, but I stopped smelling my drink and drank it.
Taste:First is a sweet vanilla/maple syrup/brown sugar/caramel apple flavor. About mid palate, this gives way to a robust woody taste mixed with spicy rye notes.
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression] The rye spice finish is long, satisfying, and very manly. This will put hair on your chest, face, and several other places I probably shouldn't mention. Robust and masculine.
Overall:Regular Knob Creek has always been one of my favorite bourbons. Their single barrel expression is no different. It fills my heart with joy the same way a good Islay malt does when it comes to scotch whisky. Whisk(e)y is truly the most complex spirit in the world, and in my book, Knob Creek is among the best of the best.

Review from DblOaked (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2169, Created:20130316011102, Updated:20130316011440) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Wine and Spirits in Bloomsburg, Pa
Purchased for:$44.99
Info on this bottle:N/A
Proof Of this Bottle:120
Nose:The nose is descriptive; it lets you know that an explosion of flavor is about to indulge your senses. The spices and vanillas enter your nose, making your nose tingle.
Taste:WHAM!!! The full force of what Bourbon should be enters your mouth and provides a wonderfully complex flavor. The ethanol is immediately distinguishable. Then come the subtleties with apple spice, caramel and vanilla. Be sure to perfect your Kentucky Chew talents by the time you taste this. Only then will all the flavors appear and it will take several pours to distinguish them all.
Finish:Ahhh exquisite! After the war of flavors has subsided in your mouth and have been swallowed with a hearty gulp, a big Kentucky Straight Bourbon warming effect engulfs your esophagus. Similar to the experience of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. This warming sensation lasts an EASY 2-3 minutes after you've swallowed the Creek.
Overall:There is wine, for those who fear heat. There is Scotch, for those who cannot appreciate spice. Then there is Bourbon, for those who want to taste America. And the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is what Bourbon SHOULD BE. It has an "in your face attitude. It is bold yet subtle. It is robust yet long lasting. If you have to describe Bourbon to someone who has never experienced the genre's true bliss, then this, Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, is better than words can describe, and is what should be offered to anyone stating, Describe Bourbon to me. Cheers.

Review from BourbonBastid (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2163, Created:20130308072600, Updated:20130308073326)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:($52/750ml)
Nose:Vanilla caramel toffee alcohol
Taste:The first sip smacks you in the face (in the best way possible) and has a warm, cinnamon pepper peanut brittle burn that warms you mouth and chest like one would expect red-hot embers to; this rapidly becomes more subdued and dares you to take another sip.

The second mouthful is a bit more tame with the vanilla sweet cinnamon pepper toffee that lingers nicely- the alcohol burn exits fairly rapidly with the flavor lingering endlessly. Exhaling through the nose engulfs your entire head in this flavorful experience.

3rd sip, which is eagerly anticipated, settles you down an comforts you into knowing that there are many more to come.
Finish:The finish, in my opinion, is much tamer than expected for its strength. The alcohol doesn't overpower the flavor and there is very nice balance. Salivary glands kick into action as you continue to experience the lingering flavors. I am thoroughly enjoying this- Knob Creek Single Barrel reinforces why (we) drink bourbon. It is challenging, bold, satisfying, balanced......awesome.
Overall:Woah! This is a great experience. I have had Knob Creek Single Barrel for the past two nights, and both times about 4oz over a spherical ice ball. The initial nose has substantial alcohol burn (expected at 120 proof) that noticeably tapers off after about 5 minutes and allowing it to breathe/cool off a bit. I find vanilla toffee alcohol to be prevalent on the nose. If you have not already done so, give it a try.....it's got balls! (Thanks for reading)

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2062, Created:20120319164444, Updated:20120319171036)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, Ga
Purchased for:$44
Nose:Caramel, vanilla, oak char, leather, nuts, burnt brown sugar, rye, cinnamon, and nutmeg provide a complex, interesting, and arresting aromatic cocktail. The alcohol is nicely kept in the background for a 120 proof bourbon. I chose not to dilute, but let the KC breathe for about 15 minutes or so before nosing.
Taste:Very rich and creamy upfront sweetness that offers vanilla, maple syrup, and brown sugar as the nose promised. The rye and cinnamon kick in at mid-palate and the alcohol wails a solitary note in the back of the mouth as it descends into the gullet. Excellent bourbon flavors.
Finish:Hot and long lasting, after that alcohol has had its blast, the creamy sweet remnents creep back across the mouth.
Overall:I cut this KC back to 100 proof and find that it loses none of its best qualities. This is an excellent bourbon that is worth what it costs in my opinion.......... and better than the regular KC.

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2046, Created:20120221095021, Updated:20120222213940)
Purchased at:ABC store in Chapel Hill, NC
Purchased for:43
Info on this bottle:Not avail (five bottles all same though)
Nose:This is the finest bourbon for under fifty dollars. The nose is sweet and earthy. Medium nose. Hides the robust flavor to come.
Taste:Full, masculine flavor. Not for beginner. Strong but not ethanol. Hits the back edges of the tongue with some tartness but the rich caramel taste rolls onto the top of your tongue giving it a round taste. The alcohol is hidden by the rye spice that is the finish. I swig this bottle to fortify myself against my woman's tempers caused by my foolish indiscretions...but it is understandable on her part. Where was I? I swig yet no whisky face. Dangerous in its smooth, earthy (Big Cedar taste). Great legs. Not thick like elijah 18 or chocolatey like ec18, also not strongly OAK like its noble competitor Bookers, but just a great big bourbon suited to my tastes.
Finish:Medium finish. Spicy, rye...burn is just right. invites another pour. It is complete package. Not a woosy finish like blantons....definitely has balls.
Overall:i'm hording this bourbon in my bunker. The bottle holds the bourbon very well. I wish it came with a free flask, for work and such.... Uh, it is better than KC 100 proof. Different taste, not just higher proof. Of all my collection, WT Tradition is first, WT amer spirit is second and this one is my regular, everyday pour.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews