Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameEagle Rare 17 year old
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Available
Age17
Views (since 20080612) 39604
Bottling InfoThis deep, burnished-gold whiskey has a somewhat fragrant nose, and the aromas develop an almost wine-like character, with a hint of almonds lurking in the backdrop.
The body is big and silky, and the palate is far spicier than the nose leads you to believe, but there are also violet notes here, along with a touch of caramel and a hint of old leather.
The finish is very leathery, and very long.
This whiskey earned a great rating, but lovers of previous bottlings of Eagle Rare should know that this seems to bear a completely different style---it???s far greater than either the 10-or 15-year old.

- Wine Enthusiast Magazine

Review from carddoug (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2278, Created:20131107234428) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Frankfort, ky
Purchased for:75$
Info on this bottle:2013 edition
Nose:Heavy vanilla, hint of oak and leather.
Taste:I get hints of leather, creamy vanilla upfront, mid palate a little baking spice comes in to play, finish is heavy on the oak but not too overpowering.
Finish:Wood and spice.... Wish it lasted longer.
Overall:An experienced drinker will love this... A beginner will like this but may not appreciate it. Darn good.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from whiskeyhatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2254, Created:20131002170914)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Fall 2008
Nose:Creamy, hard candy (like Werther's Original) with a splash of bright spice and mild citrus. A whisper of toasted sugar plays gently in the background.
Taste:Creamy texture, lots of oak but not too much (I'd say the oak is about perfect). Slight cinnamon, vanilla wafer and a tinge of dried fruit (mostly raisin).
Finish:A swell of malted barley preludes a radiant, spicy denouement.
Overall:Eagle Rare 17 yo has always been my least favorite among the various Antique Collections. Nevertheless, this is an outstanding bourbon that definitely belongs in the big league.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1654, Created:20090817184636, Updated:20090818113850) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from TNbourbon..........thanks Tim!
Info on this bottle:Bourbon contains aplenty of vitamin Pee
Nose:Nuts, rye, leather, playing together like the friends they should be in a bourbon. Oak is the chaperone while vanilla and caramel look on with interest. This is bourbon, y'all, but at 17 YO, it ain't no teenager, but lives in full blown maturity (much as yours truly).
Taste:Sipping whiskey, sipping whiskey, coat yo mouth with soft sweet, bite yo tongue with zippy spice.......make you grin. It got a cognac-like subtlety that slaps some happy in yo mouth.

Maturity has its rewards.........gone is the hot temper, gone is the need to hurry (I gots all the time I need), gone is the need to prove anythng. In is the deliberate pace, the slow sip, and the time to savor (whiskey and friends.........new ones like Tim Sousley, old ones like my two Mike buddies, who have been friends for bettern 30 years).
Finish:Slides out at its leisure.
Overall:This is a great whiskey for recomembering them good times that we been blessed with. If a whiskey, like this'n, can lubricate the axles of sweet memory, tickle yo taster, sooth the savages roaming about yo soul, and bring on images of yo momma's love, why would you not take a slight sip? You would, cause you ain't that much of a fool and life has probably treated you every bit as good as you deserve (those of you just natural born unlucky are exempted from this judgement).

Now, me and my dog gone have another sip of this here first rate whiskey whilst we think about our momma (and, unlike what soma y'all are athinking, we don't have the same momma!).

Review from enzo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1484, Created:20090212011558) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Centennial Austin, TX
Purchased for:$60
Info on this bottle:Fall 2007
Nose:marzipan, pear, apple, orange, caramel, oak, vanilla bean, chocolate
Taste:sweet, creamy caramel and fruit at first... followed by bitter orange, oak, tobacco and leather laced with some spicy cinnamon and pepper.
Finish:long, bitter-sweet, dry finish with an emphasis on orange, clove, and oak. fairly tannin heavy. The alcohol and dryness really stay with you for a while.
Overall:I was surprised how bitter this pour was. That said, it's not at all a displeasing bitterness. It's very fitting. Like you would expect biting into a coffee bean or a piece of dark chocolate. I think I actually prefer it on the rocks, as it seems to help balance all the different characteristics.

This is a very enjoyable, tasty bourbon with a ton of flavor. I wish I had the 2008 selection to compare.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1390, Created:20081216182742) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Binnys
Purchased for:65
Info on this bottle:2008 version, fall
Nose:There is a touch of Almond and earth, but very light on the earth. The rye blends into an English afternoon tea scent that adds Cherries and dates.

The dominant flavors in the nose are that of a Brach Candy Factory. With hot fresh butter, sugar and cream giving to the butterscotch and candy corn scent that screams Halloween. The Sugar here has vanilla and light honey to stand in as the sweeter scents
Taste:There is almonds here, bud mixed in a vanilla cream.

The mix here is great??? as it wonders around my mouth I get that Old English Afternoon team with fresh cream and sugar/light honey???. There is also a faint Bing Cherry taste that plays in as well
Finish:The Finish is divine.
The Almond and vanilla cream is the first, but then it is back to that great English Afternoon tea with a phenomenal candy store ending. It is Almond Vanilla cream meats cherry Garcia with lighter bing cherries???.
Overall:This is ER? If I did this blind I would not have believed it. This has all of the wonderful flavors of a candy store with hot butter, fresh vanilla and cream, sugar. There is so much here that it is my new Willy Wanka Bourbon.

I will be on the hunt for more of these. The one I bought is not enough!!!

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1343, Created:20081107161357)
Purchased at:Boston, MA
Purchased for:$50
Info on this bottle:Eagle Rare 17 Years
Nose:Upon opening: Caramel, Leather & Rye. The scent of an old library... as in good wood and lots of it. Highly structured. Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and hearty clove. The rye really speaks the language of Saz and one can tell they're close cousins. Violets & Earth. It's a thoroughbred waiting to get out of the gate... minutes later: Bread pudding with maple syrup comes into play. Orange peel. Tingles the nostrils. A good dash of vanilla...
Taste:Slow climb. Whew! A bit tart after the lengthy ascent. Lean and chewy. It's like taking a Rollercoaster to the top while waiting to let go. The bottle is tightly wound and needs time to breathe. Symmetrical legs, as in perfect. Very warming with a medium body and richness. Good viscosity, not real thick. A fine drip... unusually spicy, great nutmeg and vanilla. Grapenut pudding comes to mind as well. I love the pudding aromas!
Finish:Big and impressive finish. Long, as in very long. Brassy. Ends clean, dry, and luscious. Lingers into the minutes...
Overall:Highly matured bourbon for the highly matured enthusiast. Complex. Definitely a bourbon to ponder... contemplative. Bourbon for Big Boys. Cowboy Hat Required! BB

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1090, Created:20080528110818)
Purchased at:salt whiskey - London
Purchased for:7 pounds
Info on this bottle:fall 2003
Nose:Heavy wood. It drowns the soft vanilla, cherries and leather.
Taste:Again heavy oak. Stronger oak than the 23 year bourbons I have out. Very surprising
Finish:The oak is dominant the entire finish, but some leather and vanilla come and go
Overall:Least favorite of the ones I have had so far. The 06 is my favorite and I think I might skip the 08 version until I taste it.

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1043, Created:20080330055541)
Purchased at:trade :)
Purchased for:gratis
Info on this bottle:sample
Nose:Citrus/Almond nose.
Taste:Sweet, cherry taste.
Finish:It alludes me at present.
Overall:Good bourbon.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1040, Created:20080325230114)
Purchased at:Trade with Birdman
Purchased for:Freebie
Info on this bottle:Distilled 1988, Bottled Fall 2006
Nose:Light oak, cherries (very light), vanilla,
Taste:Milk chocolate, vanilla, light oak.
Finish:Nice! Very smooth with good body. Vanilla and light oak. There is a hint of milk chocolate here. I even get a light touch of honey and sugar cane. There is good complexity here.
Overall:This is a good bourbon. I wish my bottle of 2007 was as good. Might be time to go bourbon hunting.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 917, Created:20071123183951, Updated:20080325230011)
Purchased at:BevMo, Chandler AZ
Purchased for:~$58
Info on this bottle:Fall 2007 version
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Lighter than the 06. There is some citrus. Vanilla and floral
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:Better than I recall from the first few times. Glass of tea ahead of time cleared my pallet.

The 2006 version is better, but I am not disappointed with the 2007. Very good light drinker.

Nice... light, sort of fun. When I want an easy drinker and something from my shelf that is near 20 yrs to hand out, I will grab for this, otherwise I would prefer a little more complexity.

At $58 a bottle, I will take the Weller and Stagg everyday over this...

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 627, Created:20061102205321)
Purchased at:Middle Tennessee
Purchased for:$59.99
Info on this bottle:Fall 2006
Nose:Heavy citrus on the nose, light and fresh. Very young leather undertones.
Taste:A lot of warmth at first sip for a 90-proofer. Drying orange/tangerine peel. Still the light leather, some tannins, but very docile ones.
Finish:Very even-pitched, from entry to finish, which is medium length and relatively mild, showing some butterscotch.
Overall:Not BIG bourbon, but very pleasant, showing much less oak than last year's, which requires aeration in the glass to fully enjoy.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 334, Created:20060119053902, Updated:20060119053934)
Purchased at:Atlas Liquors, Medford MA
Purchased for:42.99
Info on this bottle:Bottled Fall 2005
Nose:
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 320, Created:20051224151837)
Purchased at:Party Mart on Brownsboro Road
Info on this bottle:Bottled Fall 2005
Nose:Sweet caramel and honey with oak tones and cloves. A little ripe apple and fine leather come through after it breaths a little.
Taste:Caramel and vanilla with ripe fruits - Apples and dates, with a little sweet spice just before you get hit with a lot of oak wood and chocolate. Nice mouth feel with no alcohol burn and a nice syrupy thickness.
Finish:Oak smoke and sweet candy apple that is well balanced and long lasting. A very good finish for a fine bourbon.
Overall:Drink it neat as an after dinner drink. This is a very good bourbon that shows traditional bourbons with rye can age well if treated right.

Review from JoeBourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 303, Created:20051027080616)
Purchased at:Tennessee
Purchased for:52.43
Info on this bottle:Distilled Summer 1986, Bottled Fall 2003
Nose:Popped the cork and immediately got green apples on the freshly opened bottle. Fresh cut hay. Needs time. Caramel and Vanilla later on.
Taste:Dry throughout but not woody. Very little sweetness on the front end. Wonderful rye spices.
Finish:Lasts forever. Finishes dry.
Overall:A "classic" 90 proof bourbon. Recommended.

Review from The Whiskey Viking (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 63)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Fall 2003
Nose:Cherry, Plums, Berries and Apples caress your nose in the most gentle and pleasing way
Taste:
Finish:The Finish starts of with the only reminder that this actually contains alcohol. A pleasing warmth fills your mouth due to the alcohol kicking in.
Coffee Beans and candy invite you to a bittersweet Tango. The finish just keeps on going forever.
Overall:

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 61)
Purchased at:Tennessee
Purchased for:$43
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Spring 1987; Bottled in Fall 2004
Nose:Upon opening the bottle, the nose is very light, with hints of walnuts. This follows into the glass, but blossoms after a few minutes' aeration into a bouquet of caramel and cotton candy, tinged with wet leather
Taste:The entry is very easy and sweet, with the caramel from the nose coming to the fore. Like its single-barrel sibling, though, this pour explodes at mid-palate with additional orange-peel candy and leather notes. The 17 years in the barrel show in the dryness, but it forsakes woodiness. The leathery, dry finish nicely contrasts and balances the sweet beginnings.
Finish:This drink coats your mouth with a body fuller than that which is displayed in the glass, and warms deep into the throat, but without being overpowering.
Overall:This is top-flight bourbon with a broad range of appeals. It's manly enough for those who seek a full-bodied and full-flavored pour, yet with an elegance and silkiness that will appeal to those seeking a more delicate taste.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews