Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009
Bottled ByBrown-Forman Distillers Company Louisville,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content94 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age12
Views (since 20080612) 32941
Bottling Info

Review from Dr_X (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2060, Created:20120316091137, Updated:20120316091221) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Toco Giant Licquors
Purchased for:36.99
Info on this bottle:Went into the barrel 1997, bottled 2009
Nose:The nose is fantastic, very sweet and pungent. A strong caramel/brown sugar/honey scent. Opening the bottle literally filled my kitchen with a strong lingering sweetness.
Taste:Sweet with a pleasant burn which gave way to a dry/woody/slightly metallic taste. Which isn't exactly unpleasant, but was unexpected.
Finish:A moderate burn with a lingering distinct/unique taste which is hard to put into words.
Overall:The nose is fantastic! But, my first glass left a little bit to be desired. Next time I'll let it stand at least 15 minutes before tasting. I haven't given up, but unless the taste improves for me, I'll not buy a second bottle. It's not a bad Bourbon, but it might be too unique for most people.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1995, Created:20111005190106)
Purchased at:Cape Cod
Purchased for:Gazillions.
Info on this bottle:OFBB 2009 Spring 1997
Nose:Oh baby-baby! Instant access to the world of cupid. Powder, feminine, and shower me with floral.
Taste:I miss her... she was so far away... what else can I say? Because I know that she'd never let me down. And i know that she's gonna love me toooooooooooo!!!
Finish:Bodacious.
Overall:There's a phenolic essence at the bottom, but we bourbon fanatical men deal with it. 4 Stars. BB

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1902, Created:20101214210806) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:MA
Purchased for:$43
Info on this bottle:OFBB 2009 Spring 1997
Nose:Perfumed and powdery. Lots of bright ripe fruit. Apples, Pears, Apricot, Kiwi, with amazing depth. A lemon peel note. Slightest undertone of bubble gum.
Taste:Give it time to open... at least 10 to fifteen minute. It's reminicent in many ways of the Repeal Bourbon, yet broader, bolder, deeper, with incredible finesse. After twenty minutes it goes to a sugar water and
Finish:Almost bone dry, yet soft around the edges.
Overall:This is the most unique version of OFBB I have had to date. Chris went out on a limb and I love the risk! As it opens it keeps getting better and better and drinks quickly. No long romantic finish, more brassy and attacking but the nose, balance, and concentration of flavors make up for the difference. It's the bees knees... BB

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1749, Created:20091110174033) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Spirits, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$36
Nose:Now, you takes a piece of wood (aged oak if you please), a small piece of char, and you rubs some leather in to it, and then you pours on a bit of chocolate syrup, some cherries, a bit of apple juice, a skosh of maple syrup, and a touch of caramel. Next you adds about a glass of ethanol. Then you takes this wood and all and puts it in a clean and empty paint bucket and you seals it tight. Next you takes it over yonder to Ace Hardware and puts it on that paint shaking doohickey and then turns her on for near 'bout two minutes. All this whilst you talks to the Ace man about how you gone let him smell something wonderful. Whole lotta shaking going on. When that whatchamajigger shaker quits, you opens the bucket and watches the Ace man faint after being overwhelmed by the same aromas as you get from our latest Birthday Boy. Do I like the aromas of the '09 BD Boy? Does the proverbial bear poop in the woods?
Taste:The signature WR taste expanded and refined, any off notes in regular WR have been wrung right out. The is a nice balance between sweet, spice, and dry. What it lacks in viscous creaminess, it makes up for in sophisticated delicacy. The soft upfront sweetness is not aggressive and can not cross the mid-palate...........there is a taste delay, then a metallic spice grabs toward the back of the mouth unlike most any other bourbon. There is a decided dryness that links to its 12 years in the barrel. It makes its way across the back of the mouth with great finess, not, to be sure, for every palate.
Finish:Moderate, delicate in the way that well aged bourbons are.
Overall:This bourbon shouts, 'Chris Morris'. It is my unabashed and arrogant opinion that this bourbon is too complex (and unique) for most of us bourbon drinkers. It presents something unfamiliar and difficult to readily catagorize and pegeonhole. This bourbon (like several of Chris Morris' achievements) challenges you on another level. It does not give itself to you, you must be prepared to give yourself to it. Only then are its rewards available. In my misguided opinion, it will not be widely appreciated...........I understand that........... but will nevertheless make a bow to the talents and skill of Chris Morris.

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1744, Created:20091106123809, Updated:20091106125742)
Purchased at:liquor barn
Purchased for:32.99
Proof Of this Bottle:97
Nose:heavy and rich with various spices and sugars.
Taste:richly spicy with faint floral and apple notes. an excellent bourbon with a pipe or cigar because the ofbb flavor isn't changed it's so heavy.
Finish:this is definately a very long finish. No medicinal flavors here. what kind of vague medicine flavors are people talking about anyway, and what's with the diaper descriptions I've read about. Well, they're not in the three bottles I own.
Overall:Excellent value and for bourbon lovers that enjoy a very full body.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1743, Created:20091105182055)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liqor store
Nose:Rich caramel and ripe apples with a bit of spice. Nice oak wood and leather behind the caramel and apples.
Taste:Caramel followed by a bust of pepper spice and oak dryness. very pleasant with no alcohol burn but a lingering warmth in the mouth.
Finish:The finish is dry oak and pepper spice at first but as it cvontinues, there is a nice apple fruit sweetness and a hint of vanilla and chocolate.
Overall:Once again Brown-Forman has released a Birthday Bourbon that is different from all of the previous releases. I like this one. It is not as fruity as last years and it seems that spice is the flavor they were going for this year, but the fruit is there and I can tell that it is Old Forester bourbon.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1740, Created:20091101222939)
Purchased at:
Nose:Not as young as the other sample I had, with a lot more depth. The young corn is covered nicely with some oak and earth. I get some touches of the chocolate that has been mentioned on this as it opens. There is some rye and some other spices

If you let the two sit in the glass a while, this one has more depth. Fruits (apples and pears are there)
Taste:at first sip, then as it sits on the pallet there is a lot of sour apple. There is some earth here I do not get in Scott???s. It is definitely better, but not a juice I look forward to.
Finish:Bite and then sour and then some wet earth that lingers for a while before a medicinal alcohol flavor runs the others into the ground.
Overall:I really have to let it sit in the glass to collect anything to get my teeth into and then the good parts last so shortly that you can miss them with the strong sour/bitter notes. The medicinal alcohol flavors are there and you never know which sip is going to kick you in the head with it. I would call this a full range bourbon with mystery at every turn, but it never floats into good or great flavors??? really just OK to pour to not good at all and it lives in the other two areas for me. If you like sour apple and some of the bitter type candies on the market today (skittles, now-n-laters, gummy worms, etc) this may be the juice for you.

Review from drinkdrankdrunk (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1700, Created:20090924145813)
Purchased at:Mustang Liquors Dallas
Purchased for:$32.99
Nose:Big beautiful floral and a little fruity with lots of sweet sweet brown sugar and spice. Some pleasant alcohol burn.
Taste:So sweet, oak, maple syrup and citrus at the end. Not overly spicy. Very refined and delicate. Good burn, but not as much as I expected from the proof. Just a very round profile with tons of flavor. Balanced to perfection.
Finish:Doesn't stop, I try to wait till it finishes, but I have to take another sip.
Overall:This has every bit of the Old Forester flavors and the charm that is expected from this annual release. I have a 2003 open and this is better. A little softer, but more solid. I have also had the 2002. I wish I had more experience with this OF expression other than the 3 years I've had, but I do know this was well worth the money and I will get the rest of the case.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1696, Created:20090919211207, Updated:20090920180617) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:50 ml from Birdman
Purchased for:free, and it was still too much
Info on this bottle:this is teh 2009 version....
Nose:Odd??? must and baby dippers were my first impression as I waved it past my nose..

Well, the second wave is rye and then back to that baby dipper plastic smell??? this is not encouraging???

As it opens I get more of the Old Forester nose in it, but there is still a lot of off scents???

Not looking forward to the taste???
Taste:Well, the taste is better that the nose??? I get some of that 04 and 06 B-Day taste here???.

There is still off notes here that do not make me smile??? but it is more drinkable than smellable
Finish:Uw???. Not so good. Has that plastic and funk finish. Damn??? The second taste is worse than the first??? the third made me almost gag??? WTF
Overall:OK Bird, thanks for the 50ml sample??? I hope you pissed in this, because if they bottled it like this they should fire the taters???

THis might be the worse bourbon I have ever had....

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews