Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Fitzgerald, Very Special
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill Infowheated
Age12
Views (since 20080612) 14487
Bottling Info<From the Heaven Hill NZ Website>

Since 1870
Higher Wheat content than other Bourbons.
Served in the White House in many administrations.
Known as "The favorite of American Presidents."

The original Old Fitzgerald was introduced in 1870 and soon became an exclusive Bourbon of railroad and steamship barons and was uniquely suited to the culture of the Old South. Old Fitzgerald maintains the traditional premium wheated whiskey mashbill that John Fitzgerald and Pappy Van Winkle established.

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1747, Created:20091109133852)
Purchased at:Bar in Portland Or
Purchased for:$8 for a shot
Nose:Wow! Sweet cherry Old Leather, Honey, and Oak. Beautiful balance and enticing aroma.
Taste:Sweet Cherry and honey followed by oaky Barrel notes and a perfect touch of char.
Finish:Beautiful finish on this bourbon, subdued like a typical wheater, but long, about 1 minute. The name says it all, it is very special!
Overall:This was great bourbon. However c both cooling and water begin to quickly unravel the structure. Drink it neat a lot. Posted on this one on my web site. See "Into the Wheat Final series Post". www.beerandwhiskeybros.com Great stuff!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from RobotAZ (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1742, Created:20091104104324, Updated:20091106084741) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor Barn Lexington
Purchased for:$31
Nose:1st tasting: Dust, dirt, and alcohol.
2nd tasting: Getting better. I can actually smell some vanilla now. I'm getting a hint of caramel also. I'm surprised that it's making this much of a change in such little time after being opened.
Taste:1st Tasting: Dust and alcohol.
2nd Tasting: High alcohol taste still, but starting to get some good tastes.
Finish:1st Tasting: Yellowstone. Ten High. Lingering dirt taste.......gotta get this out of my mouth.

2nd Tasting: still pretty brutish, but seems to be getting more relaxed. It still will choke me if I breathe in immediately after swallowing. Other, much higher proof, bourbons do not do this to me. I'm not sure why this one does it.
Overall:1st Tasting: Nasty stuff. I can find bottles of $12 bourbon that easily hang with this. Might be OK diluted with Coke, but no promises.

2nd Tasting: I'm undecided. This bourbon has evolved quickly after opening. I'm going to keep letting my drink breathe for at least 15 minutes before I drink and see what happens. I will report back for a final update when I finish the bottle.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 860, Created:20071017164154, Updated:20090518132401)
Purchased at:All Star Liquor Anderson, SC
Purchased for:$32
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:The nose is mild and subdued but some nutty aromas break through at last. There is some corn and vanilla that struggle out of the glass behind the evaporating alcohol, with leather and more nuts keeping the game interesting. The aromas must be coaxed out with some patience and effort. The nose promises a good bourbon, but not more than good.
Taste:The mouthfeel is nicely thick and the sweetness glides across the midpalate with caramel and vanilla and a hint of the wood. There is some mild pepper that livens things up a bit.
Finish:Not a lingering finish, and not really a memorable one either.
Overall:A decent bourbon without any great strengths. Overall, something of a disappointment for the money.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 426, Created:20060318081617, Updated:20090518132253)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:8.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Caramel apples and fine leather with a little oak wood. Hiding in the back is a little dark chocolate.
Taste:Caramel and chocolate withfruit - ripe pears or apples with a little pecans and oak wood. Very smooth with only a little alcohol heat.
Finish:Very clean and sweet with caramel and pecans.
Overall:Very nice neat with dessert.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews