Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Fitzgerald
Bottled ByStitzel Weller Shively,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill Infowheated
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 19650
Bottling InfoDSP-16

Review from whiskeybreath (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1948, Created:20110402041714)
Purchased at:Lillie's Package Liqour Store
Purchased for:$11@ 4/5th
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Fall 1968;Bottled Spring 1974
Nose:Fresh carmel corn. Some wood in there too.
Taste:First, a sweet apple pie flavor, followed by a burst of walnuts and pepper Left a taste of butterscotch & nutmeg in my mouth.
Finish:No hesitation here; BANG! Right from the start an intense rush of flavor, s-l-o-w-l-y fadeing, but never completely gone. Some warmth, but not an unpleasant burn at all.
Overall:WOW! This is the only whiskey that ever had me asking myself:"Are you SURE OGD BIB is your favorite?" This one is that good. Prefer it over WL WELLER {yes, even S-W bottleing}. Old Fitz BIB is the King of the Wheats!. And the color of this in a glass is GOURGOUS.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Sourmashed (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1472, Created:20090208161452, Updated:20090517201721)
Purchased at:50 ml Sample from Dump Bucket
Purchased for:A couple of 50 ml's from me and that I post my notes
Info on this bottle:1992 DSP KY 16
Nose:Hazelnut, butterscotch, Vanilla, Pecan Pie, maybe some citrus.
Taste:Rich caramel, pecan shells, toffee with a hint of oak and tobacco.
Finish:Long. Sweetness stays up front , very slight alcohol burn, vanilla, caramel, orange peel balancing out with a bit of oak.
Overall:Well balanced, big and smooth. Pity they don't make this stuff anymore.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1363, Created:20081124142519, Updated:20090517201807) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from Dump Bucket
Purchased for:Friendship
Info on this bottle:Distilled Spring 1966 - Bottled Fall 1972
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Maple sugar candy - BIG TIME! Just like topless dancers! Big and bouncey! Sexy vanillia G-Strings. Sweet charred oak bungholes. Sweet butterscotch breath. Blown nutty highlights.
Taste:A very lively pre-teen palate. Lots of small grain action in the flavor. Cashews and oak, with vibrantly shimmering tones of butterscotch candy.
Finish:Honey toned aftermath with a drying oaken decay that grows tart just like the semi-scortched atmosphere of a sawmill working overtime with dull blades.
Overall:Smoke break is over. Now let's raise this barn! A sincere taste of America as she used to be. Hard working and honest. A make no excuses - get the job done bourbon of which we can all be proud.

Thank You Pappy!

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1318, Created:20081017185404, Updated:20090517201833)
Purchased at:DC
Purchased for:$9
Info on this bottle:1992, 375ml
Nose:o Burnt butter with the butter as the secondary scent
o There is some earth, almost very faint must???
o A touch of citrus ??? very light as well that might be the must
o Smoke ??? Pipe Smoke - Tobacco
Taste:o Earth
o Caramel
o Butter
o Leather
o Light Oak
o Hey
Finish:o Vanilla
o Hey
o Butter
o Leather
o Light oak
Overall:See 1996 version

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1317, Created:20081017185247, Updated:20090517201853)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:1985, Decanter
Nose:o Buttery vanilla, but not as full as the ???82
o Sweetness like the ???82, but just a little less full
o Definitely the same bourbon ??? might be a 7yr compared to 8
o Citrus - lemons
o Wood (wet oak)
o Wet Hey
Taste:o Big Vanilla, caramel,
o Burnt butter
o Sugar Cane
o Light Leather
o Soft Oak
Finish:o Spices
o Butter with Sugar???
o Soft Leather
o Smooth Vanilla Whip Cream
o Soft Oak from 15 to 45 sec
o A faint touch of Honey or Golden Raisins
Overall:See 1996 verions

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1316, Created:20081017185025, Updated:20090517201923)
Purchased at:DC
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:1982, 500 ml bottle
Nose:o Full with butter ??? hot butter and cane sugar
o Vanilla
o A little age
o Sweet caramel or cotton candy ??? a County Fair Smell
o Apricots / Citrus
o Leather
o Hey
o Over a long period, super faint Formaldehy
Taste:o Butter and Golden raisins
o Vanilla on the tip of the tong with caramel
o Light leather
o Sugar Water
o Some faint oak
Finish:o Buttery and golden raisins
o Moves to a little light hey, leather and earth
o Sugary butter
o Finish is strength drops off as about 30 sec. but continues to 45-60 sec
Overall:See 1996 version

Review from ggilbertva (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1309, Created:20081011171001, Updated:20090517201955)
Purchased at:DC liquor store
Purchased for:11.95
Info on this bottle:Distilled 1965, bottled 1971
Nose:Rich nose, little burn. I describe it as Toffee Nut...candied in many respects
Taste:Delicious. Delicious. Delicious. These older SW bourbons are rich, creamy and warm the cockles on entry. As the nose depicts, I pick up toffee, warm nut...maybe pecan and a very pleasing sweetness. Very little burn at this proof.
Finish:Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful. This bourbon is terrific with some warm apple pie. The bourbon lingers on the palate reminding you of it's golden goodness.
Overall:This is one of the benchmark bourbons of its time and one of my favorite bourbons from the SW era. With this bourbon, there is no rush to finish but to simply sit and enjoy with a smile on my face.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1247, Created:20080820191657, Updated:20090517202020)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:1969 Old Fitz Sons of Erin (Ireland Decanter)
Nose:Giddy-up.. .this is a SW all day of the week. Rich, full with butter, vanilla an cherry... hevean in a bottle
Taste:THis tase gives teh VVOF a run for its money... not as complex, but richer with the buttery vanilla and bold cherries...
Finish:Logn and bueatiful... I wish I had a dozen of these...
Overall:It was a pelasure having some of Kevin's... this stuff was the champ of the night...

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1130, Created:20080611174442, Updated:20090517202101)
Purchased at:taste of Veache's
Info on this bottle:bottle from 1976
Nose:There is a nose of age on this, but still very plesant. Lots of vanilla, cream, and a cognac feel to it.
Taste:The taste is nice. Big hit of
Vanilla cream, a vanilla frapachino touch and a hint of over age...
Finish:This opens with a nice vanilla frapachino finish and goes for a long, medium long finish.
Overall:Never really tasted coffee in my bourbon before, but it was here in a very good sense.

There was some age that showed in a little tin taste, but I am very honored that Veach shared this.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 806, Created:20070714100939, Updated:20090517202135) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:50ml sample courtesy of Georgia Mike
Purchased for:Brotherhood
Info on this bottle:Distilled at Stitzel-Weller
Nose:Complex nose sweet with; char, corn, butterscotch, and some subtile vanilla. Apples appear with a splash of water.
Taste:The malted barley and wheat in the recipe stand out with a different kind of sweetness more like nugut and toffee and some pecan pie in the mix.
Finish:Semi-dry with pecan pie and oak. Nice length with a medium decay. Warm, but not hot.
Overall:Color is a solid classic amber with good viscosity in the glass. A soft as rain mouthfeel is a trademark characteristic of the Stitzel-Weller distillery that I always enjoy. The Glencairn glass was used for this review.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 508, Created:20060516112129, Updated:20090517202217)
Purchased at:Tucker's Whiskey Dispensary, Cumberland, KY
Purchased for:On Sale $15 L
Info on this bottle:This is Stitzel-Weller bourbon
Nose:A delicious nose with lots of different aromas. I find vanilla, corn, rye, nuts, apricots and other dried fruits, citrus, nutmeg, and a touch of oak.
Taste:Sweet and thick at first then some spice and pepper in the middle and back of the mouth. A nice balance is struck, with none of the elements yelling 'taste me first'. Nice full bodied whiskey.
Finish:Long, sweet, and oh, so satisfying. Everything goes out in harmony, like a polished Barbershop Quartet!
Overall:Heaven Hill makes some very good bourbons and this is one of them. I am pleased that I bought this bottle. I will go back to it often and recommend it without any hesitation. If you want a marvelous bourbon that is relatively inexpensive and this one is available to you, look no further. She's got what it takes! She can dance, she can sing, she can crawl on her belly like a reptile!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 94)
Purchased at:Liquor store near Elkton Maryland
Info on this bottle:Made Fall 1974, Bottled Fall 1980
Nose:Vanilla and oak with a hint of corn. A little pecan nut.
Taste:Smooth with a little warmth going down the throat. Caramel and pecans with a hint of ripe apple.
Finish:Long and sweet vanilla with a little tannin that starts as oak but ends more nutty pecan.
Overall:A great bourbon for sipping and watching a ball game.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews