Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameCabin Still
Bottled ByStitzel Weller Shively,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content91 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoWheated bourbon
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 10974
Bottling Info

Review from Sourmashed (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1471, Created:20090208155319, Updated:20090517191103)
Purchased at:50 ml Sample from Dump Bucket
Purchased for:a couple of 50 ml samples from my stash
Info on this bottle:SW Bottled in 1983
Nose:Corn, slight vanilla maybe apricot backed by a slight metallic smell.
Taste:Almost syrupy sweet up front, sweet corn, a little brown sugar with a touch of wood.
Finish:Slightly tannic, rock candy sweetness fades quickly into a bit of pepper followed by a bitter finish that hangs on to the back of the tongue.
Overall:This was my first ever tasting of S-W whiskey so I may be a little guilty of overthinking and searching for something that wasn't there. It was pleasant enough , though.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1245, Created:20080820190310, Updated:20090517191224)
Purchased at:BostonEnthusiasts house
Info on this bottle:older bottle.... 73 I think
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Like the 80 proof below, but a little old age to it... been on a hot shelf and the plastic lid has left a little funk.
Taste:Taste is not bad, but not big and buttery like the 80 proof I had. It is good and as it sits (and i drink some) it gets better... i think...
Finish:almost teases of the vanilla nd butter, but the slight taint from the cap hurts a long fun finish...
Overall:3 in a row on this one, but three diffrent versions. This 86 proof was the worst of the bunch. Could be where it was stored, how it has been handled.. don't know

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1209, Created:20080729182306, Updated:20090517191307)
Purchased at:Birdmans
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:Early mid 80s bottle
Nose:Butterscotch, vanilla, light sweet smells. Everything is just light a harmonious... I like it ...
Taste:Lots of butterscotch, butter, vanilla and graet S&W bourbon taste. Not a bitter taste to be found
Finish:Not very long, but so much fun it does not matter. THis is just a frun bourbon.
Overall:This bottle is a little newer than teh one I had at Greg's, but I like it much better. Still easy and fun, but a lot going on in an 80 prof bourbon, enough to trade for a bottle

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1140, Created:20080614021015, Updated:20090517191428)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Late 70s from Greg Gilbert
Nose:Light, sweet, fun... spring time in all its glory
Taste:Light maple, vanilla. sugar cane,
Finish:Nothing to this really. Very short to mid, with light touches of the nose and taste... a real neat bourbon..
Overall:This is a fun bourbon. Nice and light. Summer or spring with a breeze... I like it

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 121)
Purchased at:estate sale
Info on this bottle:5 years old Cabin Still from Stitzel-Weller. Sportsman decanter ca 1967
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Sweet corn and vanilla with a little oak. Very clean and simple.
Taste:Full of sweet candy corn caramel with a hint of oak tannins making it a little dry in the back of the mouth. This bourbon really gets the angels dancing on your tongue as my friend Marvins is fond of saying
Finish:Sweet caramel with a little tingle of oak. Those angels really are dancing and it is a lively one at that.
Overall:This 5 yo bourbon from Stitzel-Weller has a better flavor than the 12 yo Weller being produced today. The Van Winkles really knew how to make some fine bourbon.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews