Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameFour Roses Mariage 2008
Bottled ByFour Roses Distillery LLD Lawrenceburg,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content107.8 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 12024
Bottling InfoLimited release of 2,492 bottles at Barrel Proof.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1833, Created:20100501224054, Updated:20100501224722)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Same bottle as review from 2008
Nose:Say you take a 10 YO baseball glove, say you took some wild flowers and crushed them and rubbed them into this glove, say you took some orange and lemon peel and rubbed it into this glove, say you took a bit of char dipped in rye whiskey for a moment and you rubbed it into this glove, now suppose you took a small vanilla bean dipped it into maple syrup that had a skosh of nutmeg powder in it and you swipped it once or twice across thie leather glove and then you put this same glove in the warm sun for about 5 minutes and then brought the glove within about 8 inches close to your nose and you allowed the aroma to come to you.............you don't seek it, it seeks you. Now, you begin to know what you are dealing with in FR Mariage. T'aint everyday stuff but compelling it shore is.
Taste:Interesting peppery/cinnamony sweetness that wakens the palate and owns it for a nice spell, rounding things off with a dryness that tries unsuccessfully to take control, but instead adds to the complexity of this bourbon. Brings all the senses to attention and puts them on full alert. Your nose, your mouth, and even your brain know something special is going on here. This bourbon DEMANDS your respect and should damn well get it. It boasts that your are lucky to be sipping it............and it has it right. Long live challenging bourbons like this one!!
Finish:Assertive and long.........rich with spice and subdued sweetness. A knowledgeable bourbon lover's bourbon.
Overall:There are bourbons that are soft, there are bourbons that sooth, there are bourbons that are smooth, there are bourbons that are rich with barrel flavors.............and there are Four Roses Bourbons..........they will not allow you to vacillate or be indecisive. It is all or nothing............and if you choose nothing, for my part I question your assertion that you love bourbon..............seems that simple to me!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from vince (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1748, Created:20091109145417) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Four Roses Distillery
Nose:Floral nose with rye spice. Leather is present with the char of the barrel creeping in. Definitely a Four Roses in some respects but it exhibits a more pronounced spiceness
Taste:WHoa! It hits with floral sweet notes and then a huge spiceness (to me this has characteristics of a high end Tequila). This is very different from the Single Barrel and small batch. Some leather and a hint of vanilla comes through.
Finish:very dry finish, still taste the hints of tequila flavor. Leather and char finish this
Overall:I really enjoyed this Bourbon. It has very unique characteristics that I have not observed in other bourbons. I think it would be wonderful with a nice cigar. I dont think it is a great bourbon (and I probably would not seek out another bottle) I would describe it as more adventurous. A bourbon of high standards but not quite legendary

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1720, Created:20091010201747)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:friendship with OscarV...
Nose:This is nice. There are hazel nuts to go with the standard floral and fruits. Wow, this is like my fav 40th selection
Taste:Oscar is right, the best of the 4008s for sure. Standard balanced floral and fruit, but the touch of earth and tuts make this a standout.
Finish:Just like the taste with a perfect burn well below the 107 on the label
Overall:I think I have had 4-5 of the 2008s, and this one is top of class. If this is what Doug Dog was drinking when he said the 08 as better than the 40th, I can see why. I still like my favorite 40th first, but this is hands down the 2nd. Best 4R I have had.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1560, Created:20090516135355) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Kentucky
Purchased for:69.99
Nose:Soft nose for the proof. I did not really give enough time for it to open up.
Taste:Spicy AND Fruity. Great mouthfeel. Good backbone.
Finish:Medium finish with orange marmalade at the very end.
Overall:Paired with a JR Ultimate Double Maduro Toro this bourbon was, well......exquisite. Another jewel from Four Roses.
Get some if you still can.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1366, Created:20081124172036, Updated:20090516164916)
Purchased at:Frugal McDoogal's, Nashville TN
Purchased for:$59.99
Info on this bottle:Small Batch . MARIAGE - OBSV 13 YO and OESK 10YO
Nose:Distinctly Four Roses, but quite different from the 120th Anniversity Single Barrel. Has the rye fruitiness and floral yeasty aroma in abundance, but has more leather, oak, and nuttiness. The citrus is there but less pronounced. Over time the barrel char seems more prominent to me as a toasty note. Interesting, and enticing it is.
Taste:To this palate, a different animal from the Single Barrel, Small Batch or the 120th Anniversity bourbons, but it is unquestionably Four Roses. The sweetness is sweeter, the rye is less fruity, and the time in the barrel more assertive by way of making this a drier bourbon. It is quite interesting to sip because it is a softer sweetness quickly giveing way to an attack of dryness toward the back of the mouth.........not always a bad thing, but in this case on the edge of being too dry.
Finish:Medium to long and dry with the sweetness giving in at last to the oaky dryness.
Overall:I find this bourbon to be excellent.............but not truly exceptional. In my opinion, a bit too much time in the barrel(s) slightly blunted the complexity and balance in the taste. Some folks may find this very much to their liking.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews