Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOkolehao Whiskey
TypeWhiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill Info25 percent ti root 20 percent rice 55 percent cane sugar
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 11053
Bottling InfoOkolehao (means alcohol in Hawai'ian), 80 proof Whiskey:
Hawai'i product

Mash:
25 percent ti root
20 percent rice
55 percent cane sugar

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1534, Created:20090414193635)
Purchased at:sample from Dumpbucket
Info on this bottle:sample from Dumpbucket
Nose:You can tell that this is not a whiskey but a rum. The nose has that cane sugar sweetness of rum with a hint of caramel and vanilla from the barrel (orcaramel coloring). Not a complex nose, but not offensive either.
Taste:There is a tropical fruit sweetness (mangos?) with some nutty flavors and the rum sweet molasses. There is only a quick burst of unpleasant, medicine taste but it improves with the finish.
Finish:I actually like this finish. It is a bit cane sugar with topical fruit. It is lingering in a good way.
Overall:I would drink this if they could just get rid of that bitter medicine flavor at the start. I would think mixing in a tropical cocktail might cure that.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1517, Created:20090307212332, Updated:20090307213030) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Hawaii, Oahu
Purchased for:$25 I think
Info on this bottle:375 ml - It is the one in the picture
Nose:Butterscotch, sweetness like caramelized sugar and some faint cinnamon. Over time a nice maple, like fresh maple, is apparent.

There is just a touch of oak with just a full nose of vanilla over the entire life of the nose.

I want to say there is a cr??me??? brulee quality to this???
Taste:Vanilla and butter / butter scotch with a little raw almonds and macadamia nuts.

There is a very little touch of aluminum and citrus (tangelos, faint, but there).

As time passes the citrus is more prominent.
Finish:Some age in the finish. I can tell this has sat on a shelf for a while.

The dominant is butter/butterscotch and vanilla with a very faint hint of oak at the end.

Also after about 30-40 seconds there is a little citrus that pops up??? really nice compilations of components.
Overall:This is a fun drink. I plan on having some tonight and looking at these notes again. I did these in October and was waiting for it to be added.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews