Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameMichters US-1
Bottled ByKentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeBourbon
Alcohol content91.4 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 27293
Bottling Info

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2384, Created:20210727221427, Updated:20211231025722)
Purchased at:LCBO Stoney Creek, Ontario.
Purchased for:Don't know?? It was a birthday gift.
Info on this bottle:Michter's Small batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey... Michter's Lot # 21D1221
Nose:Vanilla...Honey...Brown sugar...Cinnamon...Oak...NICE!!!
Taste:Corm sweetness...A hint of caramel...cherries...Some barrel char...Rye spice...Alcohol...Kinda underwhelming...
Finish:The initial taste feeds to a tannin bitterness, but not overwhelming. Hints of oak and leather. There is a hint of butter and corn sweetness.
Overall:I mean, this was a gift so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth...However, for all the hype, it's not all it's cracked up to be...

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BourbonoftheDay (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2373, Created:20161216204054)
Purchased at:Bardstown Wine and Spirits in Louisville Kentucky
Purchased for:$31
Nose:When I first grabbed the Michters bottle, I was hardly prepared for the experience. I figured this would be another ho-hum whiskey ??? boy I was wrong!

I removed the cork and whiffed the bottle. I was greeted with honey and clovers ??? flowers and spice. This is like springtime in the dead of winter.
Taste:The first sip raised my spirits (see what I did there?) with a light and slippery smooth texture. There was the ever so slight drag of bitterness on the back of my tongue that caught my attention. After the first swallow, the sweetness and woodiness of honeycomb mellowed the sting of the proof. The structure was somewhat awkward, but the dance between the flavor, texture, and proof was entertaining to observe.
Finish:The finish was as lively as the front, dissipating into lemon and molasses.
Overall:This is on my list of A bourbons. I will probably have to revisit it a few more times to really nail down some common characteristics, but this deserves a place on your shelf!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BlueGrass_BrownWater (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2362, Created:20160218004548, Updated:20160218011528)
Purchased at:Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$28
Info on this bottle:Batch No. 15J856
Nose:The alcohol overwhelms the nose. Can't really pick up much else.
Taste:Spice develops quickly but gives way to a milder butterscotch flavor and ends with a long, tannic note on the back of the tongue. There is a fair amount of sweetness on the front of the tongue right away but it is difficult to discern any specific notes other than what I have listed.
Finish:Medium to long finish with a slightly unpleasant oak/char tinge that hangs around on the very back of the tongue for awhile. Leaves your mouth feeling a little murky.
Overall:Not my favorite bourbon experience. Overall, there just isn't a whole lot about this product that is remarkable. I'm glad that Michter's has moved on from their NDP era but they have some serious refining to do if they want to compete with even the bargain labels out there right now.

Review from masterbuilder (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2342, Created:20150607011631, Updated:20150919234959)
Purchased at:Pennsyvania Wine & Spirits Store 0231
Purchased for:$39.99 + 2.80 (tax) = $42.79
Info on this bottle:Batch No 14K696
Proof Of this Bottle:91
Nose:A good dose of rye + some heat. I nosed it for quite a while and it was ethanol forward all the way. Sweetness hides in the background.
Taste:Thin at first, then it fills the mouth with fruit and leather. The sides of the tongue go crazy with the underlying rye.
Finish:Mostly leather and tobacco. Could be longer, but not bad for a "modern" Bourbon.
Overall:I really enjoyed this pour. (several pours, actually) While there could be more on the taste and finish, the overall drink is quite pleasant. I don't know if Chatham is squeezing Michter's bottom line, but their Bourbon has remained one of the better drinks throughout the years. Good for them. Recommend.

EDIT 9/19/15/: Batch 15F544 is a good bit sweeter. Still kind of short on the finish, but still a very nice drink. Still recommend.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1300, Created:20080918131320) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Worcester, MA
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:Michter's US-1 Batch #4J-3
Nose:Butter, butter, and more fresh churned butter. Thick and rich. Like honey dripping from a jar. Huge bourbon with a great Honey-Bee pollen nose.
Taste:Rounder than round... Buttered French Toast with Maple Syrup was unanimous amongst several tasters including myself. I cracked the seal and shared this bottle amongst many and we were all wide-eyed and taken back by it. Huge syrupy viscosity, incredible texture, balanced, and very creamy. Delicious and absolutely outstanding!
Finish:Soft and very long with lingering notes of maple and maple sugar.
Overall:I got lucky... it's one of the finest bottles of bourbon I've ever experienced. Later I found another bottle that saw too much sun near a window at a store. It had a sulfur and hydrogen sulfide (rotten eggs) overtone, but - if you get lucky - this is one helluva bourbon. It's definitely up there in my Top-10 Best of.... BB

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1132, Created:20080613100503) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:On Sale At PALCB
Purchased for:$30.00
Info on this bottle:Batch 7K-2
Nose:Rather ordinary "Bourbon" nose. Nothing stands out except perhaps alcohol. Nothing special or noteworthy here.
Taste:Corn, very slight caramel and alcohol. Not much else.
Finish:Short and unremarkable.
Overall:This is not a Straight Kentucky Bourbon so it is probably less than 4 y/o.
Made by KBD in Bardstown, it's basically lower shelf dreck in a nice bottle. I will not be buying any more of this.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews