Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameGeorge T. Stagg 2007
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content144.6 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Views (since 20080612) 13238
Bottling Info

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1392, Created:20081217163959, Updated:20081217171259) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$74
Info on this bottle:Fall 2008 release
Proof Of this Bottle:141
Nose:Leather, nuts, oak, vanilla, coconut cream, and rye leap from the glass straight up you nose.........but give the alcohol some time to waft away first.
Taste:Cut to about 110 proof, this expression of Stagg still maintains the creamy mouth feel and syrupy texture of a rich and superb bourbon. The taste mirrors the nose. The rye spice kicks in around mid-palate, but compared to some earlier Stagg's, it is not so forceful. The oak tannins play around the edges and may account for a softening of the spice. Very nice balance.
Finish:Fairly long and substantial. Again, the spicy bite is held in check by the dryness of the oak.
Overall:In my opinion, the best Stagg of the last few issues. Better than excellent and highly recommended!!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1341, Created:20081105195711, Updated:20081105200040)
Purchased at:
Nose:Cut to approximately 116 proof (cut by 20% with filtered water). Oak, rye, vanilla, nuts, leather. Few other reviewers seem to find nuts, but I often find a nutty aroma in excellent whiskies. This bourbon has a rich, deep, dense, and assertive nose that draws you into its thrall.
Taste:Rich, thick, and creamy in its upfront vanilla and maple sweetness. Rye/citrus spice attacks the roof of the mouth and crashes toward the back, crazed with alcohol and oak tannins that dry like rice cakes. The whole tasting affair takes the mouth on a boisterous joy ride.
Finish:Moderate to long with flavors left aplenty.
Overall:My first foray into '07 Stagg territory in quite a while and this time I cut the alcohol by 20%. While this Stagg is quite dry, I find it more to my liking than the last sip. At 116 proof it is a very potent spirit, but full of sharp and complex flavors. There is something very rewarding about taking on the challenge of Stagg bourbons at high proof. It is a clarifying moment for the all the gustatory senses. It is elemental in its assault, but not wild or furiously self destructive. Stagg offers an intense taste experience that brings focus to distinctly human qualities. One drinks fine bourbon with one's whole being. The wonderful aromas of the best bourbons permeate the brain and prepare it for the next step.........the tasting. The taste of a rich and complex bourbon continues to suffuse the whole spirit of the drinker, and even before the alcohol has begun its alteration of the mind, the soul is released into the present moment where the essence of being human is always to be found!
Lest ye think I am exaggerating in this, remember that the spiritual qualities of alcoholic beverages have been known and celebrated in virtually all human cultures since our beginnings. Life without Stagg or its equivalent is unthinkable........even with the risk it can pose.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1206, Created:20080726180432, Updated:20080726191755) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Rhode Island
Nose:Enticing old roses smell
Taste:Sweetish, light bodied, some oak influence, not seeming its age of circa-15 years . Notes of caramel and orange perhaps.
Finish:Alcohol tingles and some wood (no very evident char but the empty glass later showed a clean smoky smell).
Overall:Superb bottling. To me it tastes like the best Blanton, ETL and Buffalo Trace combined at the highest proof possible.

Question: My bottle states it is "144.8 proof, 72.4% ALC. BY VOl." The notes for this whiskey from BE and one of the reviews below refer however to 144.6 proof. Yet the BE photo clearly shows the proof I am referring to. Why the discrepancy? I assume mine is the 2007, no other Stagg I believe (from previous years) had this precise proof of 144.8. There weren't multiple releases for 2007 I believe.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 981, Created:20080111162552, Updated:20080111163056)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:Too much
Proof Of this Bottle:144.6
Nose:At full bore proof: Molasses, caramel, nuts, leather, dark chocolate, rye, wood, and orange in a wonderfully smelly concoction that is rich but soft and where the alcohol stays remarkably in the background........surprising to me.

At about 105 proof: The rye is more assertive and the molasses and caramel fade more into the background. There is a more astringent quality that is not altogether pleasing. This nose is not as good as the full bore nose.
Taste:At full bore proof: intense rich dark fruit (raisins, cherries, prunes) sweetness at the tip of the tongue lasting only a moment. The alcohol foments a riot in the mouth before it is extinguished by the dryness of the wood, only to flare up again a bit further back.

At about 105 proof: The mouthfeel is rich and thick. There is sweetness aplenty with molasses and dark fruit, and the alcohol is controlled in its attitude. At the back of the mouth there is a decided dryness that goes toward too much.

Finish:At full bore proof: Long and hot all the way to the toes. I think I know now how flame swallowers feel.

At about 105 proof: The length is courtesy still of the alcohol, as the dryness abbreviates the reign of the rich sweetness
Overall:At full bore proof: Interesting but too intense for the likes of me.

At about 105 proof: A wonderful entry full of rich flavor that simply cannot hold its own against the dryness. My opinion is that this incarnation of Stagg spent too much time in the company of the barrel.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 914, Created:20071122151802) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:BevMo, Chandler AZ
Purchased for:$48
Info on this bottle:Barrel Proof
Proof Of this Bottle:144.6
Nose:
Taste:Rocks
Chocolate, cherries, alcohol, cane sugar and molasses. Not overly complex, but very good. Coats the mouth with a rich and full taste of dark chocolate and then moves to milk chocolate.
Finish:Rocks
Early before the ice melted
0-2 seconds is chocolate
2-7 seconds is like rubbing alcohol
7-15 rich chocolate

After the ice melted some
0-15 seconds molasses, light oak and chocolate
15-30 seconds gives light milk chocolate and cane sugar
30-45 seconds moves slowly into a fruit and chocolate taste, but it finishing quickly
45-60 seconds most of the finish is gone, just faint memories of milk chocolate

Overall:Overall
A little more complex than what I have read up to this point, but not as complex at I would expect from a barrel strength bourbon. I like some of the barrel strengths for their complexity and the rich fullness of the bourbon.

I do very much like this. Great bourbon to drink, at and ~$48 a bottle and 144.6 proof, it is like getting two bottles :o)

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews