Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameFour Roses "Jim Rutledge 40th anniversary"
Bottled ByFour Roses Distillery LLD Lawrenceburg,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content104.2 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoBarrel Proof
Views (since 20080612) 18830
Bottling InfoInfo from Chuck Cowdery: In September, during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Four Roses will release a new, limited-edition, single barrel bourbon in honor of Master Distiller Jim Rutledge's 40th anniversary in the industry.

Only 1,700 bottles will be filled. Each will be hand-numbered. The bourbon will be 13 1/2 years old, bottled uncut and unfiltered. The proof will be 104.2. Right now, at least, they're calling it simply Four Roses Barrel Strength.

As a single barrel, this represents just one of Four Rose's ten "flavors." They haven't said yet which one. This also will be the oldest Four Roses product on the market, at least here in the US. I haven't seen final packaging yet, so I don't know if there's going to be an age statement on the label, but they're saying 13.5. No Four Roses product, at least none sold in the US, carries an age statement.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1839, Created:20100607170705, Updated:20100607174253) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Green's Liquors, Atlants, GA
Purchased for:$78
Info on this bottle:100th Anniversary Limited Ed SB 17 YO Whrs ES Barrel NO 24-2B OBSV recipe
Nose:Unusual, unusual..........very, very oaky and strong aromas of mown hay, grass, leather, with some intense dark fruit (cherries, peaches) around the edges. The sharp rye and the fruity/floral elements one expects from FR make a late and modest appearance. Difficult for me to judge how this bourbon will taste. Will it be as dry as the oak aromas suggest. Has the characteristic controlled bite of the rye and spice of the yeast been overcome? The nose is very mysterious in what it does not reveal. Will this be an ultra aged bourbon which fell in love with the barrel and took it best elements?...........stay tuned folks!!
Taste:WOW! Just a marvelous taste that ourperforms the nose by orders of magnitude. The FR signature robust rye and spicy yeast give way to a raddish like bite that finishes deep in oak. Flavors play with each one another in a gracious harmony. The sweetness goes deep while the spice stays local.................could never be mistaken for anything other than American Whiskey!
Finish:Not so long that it destroys the palate, not so short that it leaves you hanging. Just right!
Overall:Intriguing, subtle. penetraing flavors..........none overwhelm. All work together. I can't help but believe that a rank amateur would know that this is first rate stuff. The 108 proof needs no water to tame it. In my judgement, a milestone achievement from Four Roses. Great whiskey, the likes of which you will rarely find. A must taste (in my opinion) for bourbon lovers. I think I will write home about it!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1682, Created:20090911174206, Updated:20090911193435)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:I pays my money and I takes my choice
Info on this bottle:120th Aniv
Nose:Ripe with fruit, oranges, apricots, and raisins, then some wood, rye, and leather, then some yeast as I recognize it from brewing belgian white ale (this may be problematic to some folks (and even to yours truly), but I calls 'em as I 'FEELS' (nose bone connected to the brain bone) 'em at the time I smells/tastes 'em).
Taste:A wondrous combination of the grains, the yeast, the distillate, the barrel, time, and last but not least, the skill of the Master Distiller. Sweetness and deep richness from the grain and the barrel. Spice and fruit from the grain and from the yeast. Smoothness from time in the barrel. Creme de la creme of the barrels from the knowledge and experience of the MD.
Finish:Long, long, and still long, like unto a fireworks display that goes on, and on, and on.............
Overall:A bourbon drinker's bourbon drinker's bourbon.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1402, Created:20081228144644) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift From Mike
Purchased for:Merry Christmas!
Info on this bottle:Warehouse JW Barrel 7-1I 12 years old
Nose:Color is a rich golden hued amber that belies it's 12 years of age. Viscosity is thick and syrupy.

The nose is subtile in it's complexity, nearly furtive. Hot buttered corn-on-the-cob and oak up front, but there is a tart dark cherry undercurrent that darts stealthily under the radar. A bit of vanilla flits about like a butterfly. There is some malty toffee like sweetness bobbing in the tide like driftwood.
Taste:Tightly complex and well balanced, this is a tough bourbon to pull apart. More tart than sweet. Yeasty rye driven fruitiness. Candy tones at periscope depth.
Finish:Drying oak and smokey black tobacco and pepper in a long finish with some heat.
Overall:A very provocative expression that is both excellent and esoteric.

The Glencairn Glass was used for this review.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1365, Created:20081124162706, Updated:20081124172950) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Frugal McDoogal's, Nashville TN
Purchased for:$59.99
Info on this bottle:120th Anniv. Whse TW, Barrel # 7-1I - 12 great Kentucky years in the barrel
Nose:Deep rye fruitiness with vanilla and oak. Assertive in its complexity.......not an ordinary bourbon nose. Grabs your nose and doesn't let go of it, much to your pleasure. Seems richer than the FR Single Barrel.
Taste:As you tip up the glass for a sip, you are drawn by the deep orange mahogony color. In spite of the robust rye fruity and FR yeasty flavors, this is still a subtle bourbon because of the exquisite balance of rich sweet/spice/vanilla/oak/citrus flavors. Bourbon drinkers delight!
Finish:Long, lingering, lasting..........lovely!
Overall:If you think FRSB is good (and it certainly is), get yo mitts on a bottle of this. So unique, so robust, yet it has a soft and subtle touch. No rough edges here! One runs out of superlatives and sits back and lets the bourbon speak for its self in the sipping.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1105, Created:20080602221903)
Purchased at:Kansas
Purchased for:$75
Info on this bottle:Barrel 15-1B
Nose:A little alcohol, friut... melons and some light citrus. There is some vanilla there, but it is hidden down in the fruit.
Taste:Fruit and vanila. Very, very good. Perfect litle burn. Lots of fruit in this with a little light spice
Finish:Melons first then some vanilla and a nice little burn.

About 15 seconds there is some oak to it.
Overall:I have not had any of teh 120th yet, but I hope it is as good and better liek ACDetroit has said. I just love this bourbon...

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1033, Created:20080306143355)
Purchased at:NY
Purchased for:~$100 (including shipping and tax)
Info on this bottle:warehouse 55, barrel 15-1C
Proof Of this Bottle:104.6
Nose:Lots of vanilla, citrus and other fruits. There is some ver light oak and spice, but just the right amount to compliment the vanilla and citrus like a view from sugar heaven.
Taste:This is the perfect bourbon on the other end of the spectrum from a Stagg of William Laura Weller. Sweet Vanilla and caramel show all the way through the taste.
Finish:If you have anything spicey or stronger befor this, you will loose so many of the subtle complexities. The vanilla and the caramel with sitrus is the most dominent, but there is fruits like pear, peach, WA apple. and more.

The finish will stretch out for 60 seconds if you can wait before you drink some more... so much soft components here...

This one does not have the ending of coco like the last one... but touches somthing I have not put my finger on yet... but I like it
Overall:IThe 40th FR is one of my favorite bourbons. I have a few of the diffrent barrels. This one is as good as the 17-1C that I first had with a little more kick.

I drop a coupel very small ice cubes in this one and it opens up like crazy. This is just good bourbon

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 967, Created:20080108135222, Updated:20080108135628)
Purchased at:Cork & Bottle, Covington, KY
Purchased for:About $50
Info on this bottle:Barrel No. 15-1 B
Proof Of this Bottle:50.2% AB
Nose:Fruit, leather, spice
Taste:Fairly thick and sweet with spicy, orangey flavors and some wood dryness underpinning and a little astringency
Finish:Spreads nicely on the palate but the wood comes more to the fore, and some barrel smoke and perhaps some faint varnish or wood polish.
Overall:An excellent whiskey which presents the key-notes of the Four Roses style but in intensified form. This to, say, regular Four Roses is like a Scotch Orange Seville thick-cut marmalade vs. a standard American brand marmalade. I rate it very high but would have liked to try it younger, say anywhere from 9-12 years old.

Review from scubagirl (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 966, Created:20080108113609)
Purchased at:Four Roses Distilleries
Purchased for:60.00
Info on this bottle:935?1442
Proof Of this Bottle:102 proo
Nose:vanilla, caramel, still smell some of the Oak from the Barrel
Taste:Wow what a mixture of flavors , citrus, vanilla, earthy taste. Perfectly blended to create a great Bourbon
Finish:warm feeling, but it leaves you still wondering about all the flavors. Sweet and a little dry finish
Overall:Good Bourbon, well worth the money to try. Jim did well picking this one to put his name on. Well done!

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 886, Created:20071105052846)
Purchased at:Can't say. 6 bottles left 'cause no one knows they're there.(check out the price)
Purchased for:49.00
Info on this bottle:warehouse 55, barrel 15-1C
Proof Of this Bottle:104.6
Nose:Sweet vanilla and citrus with peaches with spices and oak in the distance. Smells like a view from sugar heaven.
Taste:Carresses the front of the tongue and wants to stay there. More sweet than dry, and those airy, caramel citrus flavors are second to none. A light spicyness dances around the mouth in perfect balance with the vanilla, fruit, and mild oak.
Finish:I found the finish to be quite short for the amount of delicious flavor packed in each taste. It begs you to take another!!
Overall:I bought 3 bottles so what does that say. And, I am going to relieve that mysterious drug store shelf of it's undiscovered contents over the next few months thanks to their inability to advertise.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 875, Created:20071031182839, Updated:20080127104344)
Purchased at:ebay
Purchased for:105
Info on this bottle:1006 version Warehouse 55, Barrel No 17-1C
Proof Of this Bottle:102.8
Nose:Vanilla, caramel, some fruit.... light citrus... I love the smell of this... wow little piece of heaven

After some time I think I can smell a little chocolate
Taste:smooth.. fresh.. caramel and sweat vanilla.. What a balanced drink.

Tastes of chocolate and vanilla fill my mouth... must be one of the smoothest bourbons I have aver had...

Finish:15 seconds is rich vanilla and maybe caramel apples
30 seconds smooth vanilla taste with a light fruit flavor
45 seconds just the feeling of a rich cup of coco that lasts well beyond 60 seconds.
Overall:WOW. This will be on my must have list.

This is in my top 3...

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 842, Created:20070930153803)
Purchased at:Bardstown Kentucky
Purchased for:56.39
Info on this bottle:Bottle 1018 of 1442
Proof Of this Bottle:102.8
Nose:Cotton candy and the candy from candied apples. Like walking down the midway of the state fair. I could keep my nose in this glass all day.
Taste:Unbelievable. Extremely lush and sweet. Dark fruits abound. Impecably balanced. I never want this bottle to empty.
Finish:Long and wonderful. The candy stays through the finish.
Overall:I picked a beauty for my 25th review. If one tastes enough bourbon sooner or later one runs across one like this. Words cannot describe this bourbon. It is one of the best, if not the best bourbon I have ever had. What a great tribute to Jim Rutledge who is not only a great Master Distiller but one of the nicest guys on the planet. All is right in Bourbondum.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 839, Created:20070926160708) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Party Mart on Brownsboro Road
Info on this bottle:Bottle 369 of 1442
Proof Of this Bottle:102.2
Nose:Rich caramel and vanilla with a lot of fruit and floral tones. Orange blossoms maybe. Oak wood and fine leather add to this very complex nose.
Taste:Great mouth feel with a thick and chewey texture. Rich caramel and Vanilla with great fruitiness - ripe apples and apricots with a hint of sweet spices like cloves.
Finish:Nice and fruity sweet which gets a little more oak wood tannins as it lingers for a crisp dryness that is wonderfull.
Overall:This is a special bourbon. I am impressed because as far as I know it is the first single barrel, unfiltered barrel proof bourbon marketed and it has such a lower barrel proof providing more interesting flavors. Drinking this bourbon makes me want to ask "Stagg who?"

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews