Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameRittenhouse Rye
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age21
Views (since 20080612) 13945
Bottling InfoOnly 3000 bottles were produced and each bottle is marked with the barrel that is is from.

It's not shown in the picture but the bottle comes in a wooden canister with embossed gold writing on it.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1856, Created:20100710180509)
Purchased at:
Nose:The nose jumps for joy and is very happy
Taste:The mouth is awash in wonder and wants no words
Finish:Soft, and assertive..........a velvet glove
Overall:For the apt student, it teaches, for the wise sipper, it pleases

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1840, Created:20100610071843, Updated:20100610100547) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Houston
Purchased for:circa $130
Info on this bottle:Bought by a friend, this is the 23 year old, not the 21
Nose:Rich with sweet pipe tobacco
Taste:Very full, sweet and fruity (the wild berries Mike mentions for the 21) with the wood tannis wreathed and supported with rich sugars and gums
Finish:Long and refined
Overall:Very, very, good, perhaps the best oldster I ever tasted. This is THE aged whiskey for Mike Bowers - don't miss it Mike! (The 23, not 21 which I am sure is very good too).

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from enzo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1406, Created:20090101195141, Updated:20090101195235)
Purchased at:Austin, TX
Purchased for:$138
Info on this bottle:Barrel #22, Bottle #136
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Immediately warm and inviting, vanilla, followed by a more pronounced orange, clove and pepper. Then your nostrils are hit with a wave of warmth, wood, more vanilla and a hint of grassy rye.
Taste:Creamy orange, pepper and oak initially, followed by a slight bitterness which gives way to a softer, but spicy vanilla.
Finish:Long, dry woody finish with a strong rye and pepper presence. very viscous whiskey. It coats the mouth and tongue... and sticks around in a very pleasant way.
Overall:This was one of the most unique whiskies I've had the pleasure to drink. There's a lot going on with this whiskey. It transforms and surprises with every drink. It's very good neat. Sampling it with a few cubes of ice seemed to detract a bit from the character of the whiskey for me. I would definitely buy another bottle. I'm looking forward to trying the Rittenhouse Rye 23 if I can find it.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 807, Created:20070717151718) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$159
Info on this bottle:Barrel #26, Bottle 57
Nose:The beautiful mahagony color promises a fine dram and sweet vanilla, orange, rye and a bit of wood offer a warm and cheerful greeting as your put nose to the glass. Mature, sophisticated, subtle, but not delicate, this whiskey brings an inviting aromatic balance with a light brush of chocolate and very little alcohol.
Taste:Distinct orange frutiness, as noted by Tim in his review, followed by some not too hot, red hots with their cinnamon spice. A thick, hearty mouthfeel that gives over to a nice dryness toward the back of the mouth.
Finish:Sweet fruit, spice (pepper, cinnamon), and dry wood engage in a fugue that holds your attention for some time.
Overall:This whiskey stands as testament to what aging, done correctly, can offer for the whiskey lover. It is refined, sublte, complex, balanced, and offers something new with each sip. It is a five star whiskey in my book, a milestone in the distiller's art.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 746, Created:20070417180548) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Middle Tennessee
Purchased for:$150
Info on this bottle:Barrel #23, Bottle #31
Nose:Walnettos candies, tinged with anise, powdered cocoa; a trailing blast of alcohol. Black pepper fights its way through the proof. A whiff of rye grain finally appears after several minutes' aeration.
Taste:Sweet orange on the tip of the tongue, followed by a suffusion of black pepper. Unseasoned oak, then bitterer orange peel. Sprinkled with dark chocolate. Luscious viscosity, from the sheeting of the 'legs' down the glass to the oily, substantial mouthfeel.
Finish:Quite long, with the orange peel receding only at leisure, but followed even more hesitantly by the black pepper.
Overall:If long aging has a flavor, this whiskey defines it. It tastes 'old', with a fullness of maturity, and a complexity that is identifiable enough not to confound. Personally, I find the lingering, citric acidity in the finish a bit diminishing, but others might not. I prefer it sweeter. This is weighty enough whiskey to complement apple pie, or dark chocolate (which I am assaying right now) or, I suspect, a strong cigar (which I shall not attempt).

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews