Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameVery Old Barton
Bottled ByBarton Brands, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 50813
Bottling InfoAlso called Bottled in Bond

Very Old Barton is backed by generations of experience in distilling and bottling aged Kentucky bourbon whiskey. Smooth and unique taste with strong consumer appeal. A premium gift for special occasions. <Barton Brands Website>

Review from tradingboiler (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2055, Created:20120302000337)
Purchased at:Binny's Bev. Depot Chicago, IL
Purchased for:12.99 with an additional $1.50 for our wonderful 12.25% liquor taxes here in Chicago
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Bond
Nose:Really got the vanilla first(which is typical for me) but then the banana that everyone talks about. Also got spices and some citrus note.
Taste:So this is the first 6 year old I've had in a while so I got the heat and spice right off the bat but as I let it breath and added one ice cube I started getting toffee, spices, vanilla, orange, ice cream, and malt
Finish:The finish didn't last as long as I had hoped but for a 6 year old bourbon this is to be expected. It ends about three quarters back on the tongue and lingers for moments.
Overall:Overall I'd give this a great value nod with really good flavor and decent finish. For the price you can't beat it and I bet it makes a great mixer.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2042, Created:20120205134016, Updated:20120206100233)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn on Hurstborne, Louisville
Purchased for:11.99/750ml
Info on this bottle:6 year old
Nose:Nice bourbon smell, maybe vanilla and carmel, oak
Taste:On the sweet side with a nice spice kick from the rye.
Finish:Vanilla and carmel with a thick mouth feel, quite nice
Overall:Traditional mashbill with rye, aged 6 years and bottled at 100 proof. Exactly what bourbon should be at a price far better than many of the big names. Getting a 1.75l next time out.

If you are willing to consider bourbon is a product of the chemical processing industry, shopping by mashbill, age and proof are better indicators of quality bourbon than are marketing claims, and fancy bottles.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from whiskeybreath (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1950, Created:20110403211751, Updated:20110403212340)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn-Fern Creek
Purchased for:Can't recall exactly, $22+?
Info on this bottle:Current bottleing-1.75 liter jug
Nose:Burley tobacco, hint of vanilla, smells like a sugar cream pie baking in the oven.
Taste:Rye is pronounced here, but not overpowering the corn, which is evident too. Toffee and almond-YUM!
Finish:No subtlety here, BAM! right off the bat a good bite and burst of flavor, that fades gently to a yeast taste. Pretty good!
Overall:Strictly speaking on a dollar value basis, VOB BIB can't be beat. Where else are you going to get a 6 yr old BIB at this price, THAT YOU CAN DRINK WITHOUT MAKING A WHISKEY FACE? Not as refined as others out there, but at the price whats not to love? One of my daily pours.

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1798, Created:20100128003515)
Purchased at:Binny's South Loup
Purchased for:~$13
Info on this bottle:6 years
Nose:Nose is very open and fruity. Apples and cloves. There is a cinnamon warmth somewhere in the background as well.
Taste:Again, rather bright and a little bit hot. Oak is not at all dominant but rather aggressive.
Finish:Hot and short, a little bit of sugary sweetness lingers on the tongue.
Overall:I like the 90 proof version better. Or this w/ a little water. Still, great bourbon for the price. Very nice nose especially.

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1586, Created:20090525015548)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$11
Info on this bottle:750ml BIB
Nose:The most unusual nose I've come across....definitely banana bread!
Taste:Soft, rich, very sweet corn, some vanilla and caramel. This is a very nice bourbon with no bad flavor attibutes.
Finish:A little short, but the flavor profile makes up for that.
Overall:Read an old blog by chance of Chuck Cowdery and comments from some of the other folks on this web site. I absolutely agree that this is one of the hidden treasures in bourbon. Lots of flavor, a nice soft mouthfeel, and that unusual banana bread smell and taste! I love it.

I agree with Chuck Cowdery. There is no need to be fooled by those small batch bourbons and their packaging. There are some great bourbons for under $20 just waiting to be found! I am on a quest to find these diamonds in the rough....OFS, OC101, AAA 10yr, and now VOBBIB.

When I first got back into bourbon, I obviously made the rookie mistake of spending too much on small batch bourbon. VOBBIB is another example (as well as the previously mentioned bourbons) that there are excellent values out there that have the flavor and the personality to compete.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1515, Created:20090307191324)
Purchased at:50 ml from Ben
Nose:Banana Bread. Sour mash, yeast, and floral.
Taste:Just like the nose with a little alc. Some slight liquorish as well.
Finish:Reflects the nose and the taste.
Overall:Not my cup of tea, or glass of bourbon. I bet that Greg Gilbert would love this.

Review from kystormwatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1458, Created:20090204192059)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn (2/2009)
Purchased for:$4 for 200 ml bottle
Info on this bottle:6 year old Bottled in Bond
Nose:Like a sweet pipe tobacco. And by gosh, there really does seem to be some banana there. I thought you guys were kidding!
Taste:Nutty. Dates. The taste of corn definitely comes through. Didn't get the overly sweet taste expected considering the aroma.
Finish:Surprisingly smooth. The earlier corn seems to give way to a bit more rye in short order. It doesn't have an incredibly long finish, but does well with what it has.
Overall:I liked this bourbon more that I expected. This was my first taste of VOB. I think it offered a fair amount of surprises. The initial taste is different from what you expect from the nose. Then the finish changes grains from corn to rye. Certainly more complex than I would have guessed.

Overall, a nice bourbon. No need to over-analyze, just pour and enjoy. Value? A very good value. Larger bottle sizes available at far below the prices of the premium bourbons. I'd expect this one to be good in mixes as well.

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 779, Created:20070529133915, Updated:20070612130633)
Purchased at:liquor barn, lexington
Info on this bottle:VOB 100
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Imagine standing in an oak barrel in a leather room with banana bread baking in an oven with sugared vanilla cooking on the stove.
Taste:Not a huge flavor profile, but the ones that stand out are GREAT! Those being; toasted oats/nuts, banana bread with vanilla caramel drizzled on top with a distinctive leathery/oaky bite at the end.
Finish:Evenly balanced with the alcohol burn. No bad flavors in this bourbon at all, just not a lot of them. Kind of like 10 different Jelly Bellies in your mouth simultaneously, whereas the WT Rare Breed is the whole bag.
Overall:Very satisfying to sip on if you are immersed in a conversation with others and not focused on your drink. A best on the everyday pour list straight or in Coke!

Review from artfag (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 733, Created:20070325233354) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:gas station liquor store nowheresville Kentucky
Purchased for:$12 ?
Info on this bottle:bib 6 year
Nose:Banana, fruity and sweet with some slight leather and tobacco. light on the alcohol.
Taste:Some spice and warmth. Yet still light and enjoyable. Not too swift with the taste descriptions. smooth and full flavored. sweet. some oak dryness.
Finish:slightly dry. not terribly long which is OK with me, good excuse to pour another. Sweet. quite short though.
Overall:First bourbon I've had that is unavailable here in Ohio. I've got to say it may be my favorite. The sweetness and richness are quite lovely to me. Just a touch of dryness but not too much. Plus the price is a good selling point for me. Unfortunately I'm about out now and will have to make a trip again shortly to replenish my supply. I've had some higher end bourbons but this for me seems to be perfect regular pour. Feel free to let me know of any suggestions along these lines. I'd like to get my hands on some more barton products.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 653, Created:20061120131947, Updated:20061120132809)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Louisville
Info on this bottle:Recent standard bottling, 200 ml. size
Nose:That typical Barton's maple/toffee apple smell with barrel wood pulling up the rear
Taste:Again toffee, maple, more wood this time both charred and fresh. A very "big" flavor of all-whiskey yet showing a purity of source, the bonding.
Finish:Big roiling impressions in the throat. To me Barton's is a classic country distillery. It is what it is, and that is often very good. Sometimes it doesn't hit me right (too tannic or wood-heavy) but this one is just perfect. A classic when on song.
Overall:Excellent and fine value.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 589, Created:20060924060346, Updated:20060924074126)
Purchased at:Tennessee (acquired from Tim S. in trade)
Purchased for:$3.70
Info on this bottle:200 ML, Mid-90's release, Bottled In Bond but no age statement
Nose:Well-integrated corn, "bourbon warehouse" and light menthol
Taste:Soft, rich, sweetish, dark candy corn and light creosote and wood. Medium-aged and I'd guess 5-6 years old
Finish:Not long on the palate but leaving echoing notes of the tastes above
Overall:This is very good and better I think than the current BIB VOB. The current one can be a bit gritty/oaky which is maybe what Mike V. called leather in his review, and I also get the banana-like flavors MikeK noted. Both flavors seem absent or more subdued in the mid-90's VOB BIB which seems more stylish in general than today's. I got one last year also from Tim, also marketed early-mid-90's, that had a fine skein of rye spearmint which I didn't notice in the mid-90's group just obtained. All current VOB is good of course and sometimes I get a particularly good 86 or 90 (this might be connected to their age since the age of the various proof bottlings is not all the same).

It must be said too though that all VOB, of whatever era or proof, is a superb value.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 471, Created:20060426091126)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Caramel toffee and corn with some fine aged tobacco and leather.
Taste:Caramel and oak wood with some nice grain sweetness. Apple fruit and fine leather and oak.
Finish:Sweet caramel and oak that last a long time - very nice.
Overall:Great neat.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 309, Created:20051120115326, Updated:20051120120414)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington KY
Purchased for:$10.99
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Bond
Nose:Very light and fruity. Heavy banana and banana bread. Mint and cherries. A very different nose from most bourbons, a nice change.
Taste:Light and fruity flavor. A nice liquid caramel mouth feel. A touch of ainise?
Finish:Short and dry with a slight burn.
Overall:A nice light and easy drink on a weeknight when you don't want to think too hard. A very different nose and taste; I give it points for that. A fine summer evening bourbon at a nice price.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews