Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameVery Old Barton
Bottled ByBarton Brands, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 34337
Bottling InfoVery Old Barton is backed by generations of experience in distilling and bottling aged Kentucky bourbon whiskey. Smooth and unique taste with strong consumer appeal. A premium gift for special occasions. <Barton Brands Website>

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2317, Created:20141206154639, Updated:20141206162233)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago south loop
Purchased for:$13
Info on this bottle:New no age statement bottle
Nose:Strong banana with a hint of vanilla, quite pleasant.
Taste:Strong woody flavor with some cherry. Slightly reminiscent of cough syrup.
Finish:Very hot, dry, and long. Maybe some maple or toffee, but any flavor is pretty much overpowered by heat.
Overall:Possibly the harshest bourbon I've tried; difficult to get down and rough on the stomach as well. Mixes alright with coke. I've yet to try the 6 year bottling of VOB but judging by earlier reviews dropping the age statement was a major mistake here. If I can find a 6 year bottle I'll grab one for comparison but I won't be buying the no age statement again.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1941, Created:20110319175922)
Purchased at:a new liquor store can't recall the name
Purchased for:$8.99
Info on this bottle:6 years old
Nose:Organo vanilla with rye, corn, leather, and hay. The oak and char seem slightly green. The likely taste from this nosing is a complete mystery to me.
Taste:Soft corny sweetness that is nicely thick with vanilla and caramel. Zip of rye spice roams about the mouth to control the sweetness and leaves a few loose ends, but hardly those one would expect from a $9 bourbon.
Finish:Moderately long with a gently sloping edge.
Overall:Not refined but not caring one whit for its lack thereof. There is an elemental robustness and straightforward honesty in this bourbon that gives it great credibility. Were this the only bourbon on the planet, I would drink not one ounce less bourbon than I do now...........and would save a bundle for other vices. I expect you would laugh at me if I were to say I have no other vices.........and you would be justified, but what those other vices are you will not hear from me.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1781, Created:20091223165449, Updated:20091223170311)
Purchased at:Binny's
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Very green at first, a little rough and plastery but it wanes to a softer, spicier profile with a hint of cherry and vanilla around the edges.
Taste:Quite sweet but w/ a sharp oaky bite on the tongue.
Finish:Some woody notes, a hint of plaster and sort of a maple syrup sappiness linger behind.
Overall:Sometimes I try a bourbon and just think, "Well, this tastes like bourbon," and this is one of those. The upside to this, of course, is bourbon is one of the most delicious things on this planet.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 470, Created:20060426090808)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Caramel corn with aged tobacco, fine leather and oak.
Taste:Caramel and vanilla with a little ripe fruit - apples and apricots, fine leather and spice.
Finish:Very dry with oak wood but a background of fruit and caramel.
Overall:Very nice neat or on the rocks.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 332, Created:20060117114534)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$8.49 for 750ml
Nose:Rye warmth, leather, corn sweetness, a touch of vanilla and oak, along with some floral and earthy notes. The nose has to be teased out, it seems a bit shy.
Taste:A pleasant taste with corn sweetness presenting first, followed by just a hint of rye and alcohol pepper. A straight forward bourbon.
Finish:A short to medium finish with a slight alcohol edge that is elemental. Still, the corn and rye give it the unmistakable bourbon qualities we all like.
Overall:A drinkable bourbon to be sure. It lacks the smoothness and complexity of more costly bourbons, but retains all the essential characteristics.

Review from Squire (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 272, Created:20050904143624)
Purchased at:Memphis, TN
Purchased for:$22.95
Info on this bottle:6 years old 1.75 liter
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:A heavier caramel leaning toward maple, some rye wineness evident. The oak comes out after aireation.
Taste:A rich, thick, medium full body with a slight taste of caramel-toffee-oak with rye floating overall making itself apparent without in any way being dominate.

A small amount of distilled water brings out the caramel-toffee taste and sweetness significantly.
Finish:Very good medium finish with all the taste notes there when taken neat and even more so with water added.
Overall:I cannot complement this whiskey too highly. It's good enough to take neat or over rocks and it lends a full Bourbon flavor to any mixed drink. Taken out of a flask by the campfire or marinating a finest quality steak this is the most versitle whiskey I know of and it is available for a bargain price.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 100)
Purchased at:estate sale
Info on this bottle:8 year old 4/5 quart from 1974
Nose:Old leather and oak. Vanilla and that tell tale Barton smell of dried dates or cherries.
Taste:Very smooth with a little heat in the mouth but quickly subdued by a blast of Sweet candy corn with a little fruit - dates or cherries. A little peppery spice and vanilla in the back of the mouth.
Finish:Refreshing and sweet vanilla with a lingering oak tannin dryness.
Overall:This bourbon is older than today's expression of Very Old Barton and it shows. It has a bit more flavor than today's expression and it may not all be from the extra two years of age. There is a little more grain flavor and I suspect that 30 years ago the barrel proof was lower.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 99)
Purchased at:Gift from Mike Veach
Purchased for:$12/1.75L
Nose:Nice golden amber color that is about right for a six year old.

Softly complex nose of tanned leather; oak, and light florals of geraniums. Candy notes are few and subtle - a little toffee.
Taste:The tongue tingles with oak and tanned leather. Good viscosity in the mouth. None of the corn & vanilla sweetness one expects in a good bourbon. VOB is tart and somewhat tannic, and is more like a rye than it is a bourbon.
Finish:Tart semi-dry finish with a somewhat quick decay. A little rough & tumble, but far from harsh. Some heat in the back of the throat, but not hot.
Overall:Very Old Barton is a very different kind of bourbon, and I like that. It strikes me as more of a "Frontier Whiskey" than does Bulleit and is half the price. While not the bar room brawl in a bottle that is J.W. Dant BIB, VOB has a rough & tumble character that might like to pick a fight with ol' J.W. just for some Saturday night fun.

I am biased in that I like a little roughness now and again, as it lends perspective to the ultra-premium Bourbons. Like Bulleit I do reccomend you keep a bottle for it's uniqueness, but I no longer think it as good a candidate for your everyday table Bourbon as I once did. I also think that it is I who has changed and not the Barton.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews