Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Charter 12
Bottled ByUnited Distillers ,
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age12
Views (since 20080612) 22035
Bottling InfoThe nose is complex and dry, but there is honeyed backdrop that balances the predominant peppery aromas nicely. The body is big, and the palate, like the nose, is drier than younger versions of Old Charter, bringing a rich bunch of spices to the forefront and keeping the sweeter notes, now fruity rather than honeyed, as a backdrop. The finish is long and spicy.

Another great whiskey from Old Charter ??? Sip it neat or on the rocks.

- Best Buy.WINE Enthusiast Magazine & Great Bourbon Website

Review from Klepackage (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1545, Created:20090423211837)
Purchased at:50ml sample
Purchased for:trade
Nose:Cinnamon and nutmeg at the forefront with some brown sugar cookies at the end. Alcohol is faint.
Taste:Sweeter than expected. Sharp spice with some butter and sugar. Again, the sugar cookies come to mind. Definetely high rye.
Finish:No longer than 30 seconds. Sides mostly with a surprising amount on the tip.
Overall:Color: Violin Rosin

Purchase: Similar to OCPR with a bit more burn. Sadly out of production but for ~$20/750 ml, pick up one or two.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 924, Created:20071126155405, Updated:20071127140235)
Purchased at:Downtown Saturday Night
Purchased for:$18
Info on this bottle:Don't mess with Kentucky
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Soft, sweet, leathery, nutty, with slight alcohol intrusion.........enticing.
Taste:Sweet, soft, mellow, smooth, soothing, corny, mildly spicy.............not flashy or assertive, but satisfying.
Finish:Moderately long with enough 'umph' to tote you and it downtown to the party.
Overall:Elemental enough, without being overbearing, to drink straight from the bottle........ah, something that satisfies the male ego that lurks in the best (and worst) of us men.............'I'll have a 'nother' slug of that sombitch there, Bubba!'.........knowing that this is a decent pour and I am risking little.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 585, Created:20060905130009, Updated:20060905130357) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$32.99
Info on this bottle:Old Charter 'The Classic 90' 1.75 L Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Nose:A dry, mild, and subtle nose that opens more with time. Interesting, somewhat different. Barrel char mixed with nuts, mostly almonds, greets the nose first, followed by a bit of vanilla and spices.........several spices....cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some dark fruit, ripe plums, I think! An unassuming, almost delicate aromatic treat!!
Taste:I like this little Miss. She is smooth, not boisterous, she is sweet, but also creamy. She is delicate, but also tastes like fruit that has been left to begin fermenting. She tastes like the subtle spices that make you say, 'What did they put in that to make it so good?' She won't knock your socks off, but she will put a smile on your face!
Finish:Moderate with a sweet creamy finish that begs you to slip in another sip whilst yo husband is talking to his sister. This boubon is worth you slipping in more than your share when you can!
Overall:Big buddies and little buddies, women buddies and men buddies, every buddy, this is a good bourbon that will hit you in yo sweet spot. Pull up yo chair and let's talk about this dry spell in the weather we been having..........and when we done talking about the weather, let's talk about yo crazy cousin!!

Whatever we talk about, we gone end up complementing each one another! When you on my porch drinking my good bourbon, it will take us there every time, cause I like good bourbon and I like peeps (people)!!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 420, Created:20060318075439)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Sweet caramel with nuts - almonds or pecans, and a little nutmeg spice.
Taste:Sweet caramel and oak with a little liquorice spice.
Finish:Sweet caramel and oak wood.
Overall:Very nice neat.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 355, Created:20060220191757)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington KY
Purchased for:$15.49
Nose:
Taste:Rich flavor in a decent body. Sweet with a slight warm burn. Rye spiciness, burnt caramel, butterscotch.
Finish:Medium length, sweet with a bitter edge. Lingering licorice.
Overall:

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 261, Created:20050829115939) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor Barn in Louisville, Kentucky
Purchased for:$14.99/750ml
Nose:The color is a classic golden amber. The viscosity in the glass is thick and syrupy.

The aromas are quite well balanced and straight forward. Honey; candy corn, oaked char, some subdued florals with vanillia and light spice undertones. Nicely complex with a little mystery - maybe licorice.
Taste:Mouth coating and soft on the palate. The sweet properties of the nose combine into an easy going cotton candy like carnaval funhouse of flavor. Nothing really distinct, but just plain fun to drink. I like it like that!
Finish:Licorice arrives quietly with some soft but non-discript spice tones. A kind of hoochie-coochie fan dance for your taste buds and throat. Plenty warm and long enough to make you take your pants off. Girls Gone Wild in a bottle!
Overall:I've always loved the 12 year old Old Charter "Classic 90". Many will dismiss it as simplistic and think they are being kind when they call it "easy drinking". It is indeed "easy drinking", but it's much more than just that. It's FUN! And a whole lot of fun to drink at that! Forget having to study this bourbon for hours on end! How boring is that?! This bourbon is a sexy girl skinny-dipping and inviting you in for a dip. Stop thinking and start drinking!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 260, Created:20050828111402)
Purchased at:Liquor Outlet in Shively
Purchased for:18.00
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liqor store
Nose:Sweet Candy corn and honey. A hint of alspice and oak wood.
Taste:Smooth with no alcohol burn but a pleasant warmth in the throat. Very sweet caramel and honey with a hint of spice leading into the finish.
Finish:Starts a little dry from oak wood tannins but quickly get sweeter with vanilla and toffee coming through at the end. A very long finish that leaves you reaching for for more.
Overall:A great bargin bourbon that holds its own with many two or three times its cost.

Review from jbohan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 157)
Purchased at:Tower Package Doraville, Ga. (ain't much but it's home - ARS)
Purchased for:$16
Info on this bottle:Same as the picture shown above
Nose:First, the color is a beautiful dark amber, it gets you ready for the taste. The nose is not overpowering, gradually builds up a nice floral scent, not overly sweet, but fresh.
Taste:Taste builds gradually as well, but to a strong caramel flavor, again not too sweet. The taste is not overly complex but is straightforward and nothing to be ashamed of.
Finish:Not as long as some other BT products, but very smooth with no burn .
Overall:There are better offerings from BT, but at the price this is a great value and stands up well against more expensive products from other distilleries. Would not hesitate to offer this to friends. This is the everyday on the shelf bottling that most people should be able to find.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 132)
Purchased at:Middle Tennessee
Purchased for:$6 for 200ml
Info on this bottle:Distilled by Old Charter Distillery Co., Louisville, KY (not Buffalo Trace, but still Gary Gayheart)
Nose:A meld of black licorice and cotton candy. An apple orchard blossoms after some minutes in the glass.
Taste:A delicate heftiness -- heavy on the palate, but not strong-flavored. Brown sugar, with leather underlying. Almost sawdust dry on entry, but quickly blossoming into orchard fruit -- pear, McIntosh/Northern Spy pie apples.
Finish:Medium length, with the apple-pie theme continuing. Little alcohol noticeable.
Overall:A proviso -- you can't get this anymore! Sorry -- I just happened across a mini-stash of Louisville distillate. I'm glad I got to try it. I think I would deem this a "dessert" bourbon -- great for a post-prandial pour. It's not a 'premium' bourbon, but certainly better than average.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews