Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameRittenhouse Rye
Bottled ByContinental Distilling Co. Linfield,PA
TypeStraight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 73321
Bottling Info

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2341, Created:20150522165752)
Purchased at:SLC, State Liquor Store
Purchased for:750ml $22.99
Info on this bottle:Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc.
Nose:Very nice deep golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla, spiced (cinimmon), with some caramel notes.
Taste:Full Body, Very nice sweetness, with some nice spicyness.
Finish:Moderate, Very nice, slightly dry, with some sweetness. Nice little burn. The smoothes rye for me to date.
Overall:A very very tasty rye, definitely would buy again. Very good price.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Junggai (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1842, Created:20100610175440)
Purchased at:Grand Whisky, Vienna, Austria
Purchased for:32 Euros
Nose:Dark and musty, a somewhat unpleasant petroleum smell balanced with oak and cherry.
Taste:Lighter than I expected given the nose. Vanilla, caramel, and cherry predominate. Still, this is a strong Rye, and it lets you know.
Finish:A citrusy sting on the back of the tongue, but otherwise a very short finish.
Overall:Honestly, this isn't my favorite bottle; it's appropriate for those days when I feel the need to self-lacerate, but I wouldn't call it an enjoyable whiskey. However, my experience was so different from others that it might have something to do with the overseas travel this bottle endured.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1825, Created:20100324151153)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:Around $18
Nose:Vanilla, rye, orange marmelade, floral stuff, cinnamon/ginger, and leather swirl about in a delightful dance. A nice thick and rich rye nose awaits he who sniffs RR.
Taste:A thick attack of rich barrel flavors (buttery brown sugar, maple, vanilla, and a hint of char/oak). Then comes the gingery/cinnamony spice and a zip of citrus that are tingling and cleansing to the back of the tongue, while the sweeter barrel notes cling to the roof of the mouth and die out almost as slowly as the spice does. Just dandy tasting whiskey.
Finish:Long, with some heat and some sweet.
Overall:Robust, lively, rich, and spicy, but well rounded with very little alcohol presence. Every time I drink this whiskey, I like it better. One of the best whiskies out there for the money

Review from Klepackage (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1546, Created:20090423212030)
Purchased at:50ml
Purchased for:trade
Nose:Pine and alcohol. Something sweet and fresh underneath it all.
Taste:Suprisingly sweet, but it falls off quickly. Balanced for a rye. Quite tasty. The pine is gone and the spice isn't offputting or overpowering. A bit of water might even the spice/sweet together.
Finish:Throughout the mouth, the finish is present. Even a bit on the gums. The tingling lasts for a while and the spice stays with it throughout.
Overall:Appearance: Maple Syrup. Moves like the good maple syrup too. Legs after 10 seconds, thick with sporadic spacing.

Purchase: Ben's bottle might be worth a repurchase. My bottle is a NEVER repurchase.

I compared a 50ml sample to a bottle I bought. Mine tasted like grain alcohol and potpourri. The sample was much better.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1506, Created:20090226172234)
Purchased for:$18 give or take
Nose:Surprising in its lightness........little alcohol........sweet fruit and citrus abound.........and a delightful dose of ginger. How far into a glass of 100 proof whiskey can you put your nose.......a long way if it is RH Rye! Quite surprising!!
Taste:Rummy sweetness gives way quickly to ginger and cinnamon spice. Not multidimensional, but who needs it when the flavors are good!
Finish:Long, zippy, tingly, refreshing, cleansing.
Overall:For less than $20 what do you want, for God's sake! If this was all I had to sip for the very rest of my life, me, RH Rye, my dog, and my squakbox could still make a lot of happy noise.........yes, we could!! Love the one you're with!!!

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1420, Created:20090111130815) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:The Sailor
Info on this bottle:Part of a 3 blind rye tasting
Nose:Whoa??? This has something there more than the rye up front. Almost an aged lumber scent to it like that of an old cave and some fruits. I think it is a wood alcohol or lower level claning fluid scent. There is some smoke that begins to pop up and leather, but both are very muted behind the wood alcohol
Taste:Right up front with that wood alcohol taste to it. There is rye there but also a plastic taste with the wood alc. 15 seconds in I get some burn. Not very pleasant in truth.
Finish:Same plastic and wood alcohol finish. Nothing here very pleasant. The rye is very muted in the taste.
Overall:Blind notes first:
Somewhere between 90 and 100 proof. Lots of cleaning products in this rye that is not very good. My guess is bottom shelf (my luck it???s a $200 bottle). I cannot tell you who makes this, but they should stop

OK, I am guessing that this was the low end HH rye and hope it is not the top end version. I can tell you that I am a little scared to by the top end, with the other label is this questionable to me. I hope this is an off bottle... the notes on this below from the others are more complementary than what I tasted...

Review from maxthebear (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1352, Created:20081115132527)
Purchased at:Montgomery County MD - Package store
Purchased for:$10-$12
Info on this bottle:Standard BiB
Nose:Agree that you need to give a few moments before the nose - the alcohol of the 100 proof needs to bleed off. It has the caramel and ginger noted by others, with a light fruit and leather. Recently, it has an almost distinctly orange to it, which is new to me
Taste:Bold and peppery with the brown sugar/molasses noted by others. Again- recently there has been a pleasant orange hint that compliments the overall complexity. It is a drink that reminds you of Fall. The is a pleasant bite that reminds you that you are drinking a higher octane. It holds up to ice well and can be sipped with pleasure - Recommend a splash or two of water to open the surface.
Finish:Medium in length, with a cascading effect from sweet to pleasantly bitter, with a light touch of smoke
Overall:This is my everyday potable and I enjoy it a lot. I admit that rye is not for everyone, but those to whom I've introduced it have all enjoyed and a several have gone out to get a bottle - which is getting harder and harder in this area. If you are thinking about trying rye - this is the one. The 80 proof expression is good, but this one is a keeper.

Review from Kendall (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 861, Created:20071018154057)
Purchased at:Liquor Mart II, Richmond, Ky.
Purchased for:18.99
Info on this bottle:BIB, distilled by D.S.P. KY 354
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Dry, wood (cedar)?,
Taste:oily, smooth, over fast
Finish:long, warm,sweet.
Overall:very good for the money, the more I taste to try and describe it the more I want
to drink, This is very good.
All the reviews before mine describe it well.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 790, Created:20070611142945, Updated:20070612094813)
Purchased for:$17.99
Nose:The nose needs a moment to let the alcohol drift away. MikeK identified the ginger and I find it quite prominent also........something a bit out of the ordinary. Then there is some light fruit....pears, and some of the characteristic rye fruitiness. Once the alcohol has abated a bit, the nose becomes soft.
Taste:A sweeter than expected offering that tastes a bit of pears, just as the nose promised. Along comes the zesty spice to add depth and character to the soft sweetness. Not very complex, but far from simple............interesting enough to be very worthwhile whiskey
Finish:Only moderately long with the alcohol having a bit of a say way down.
Overall:A respectable whiskey with no noticable flaws, enough differences to make it interesting, a reasonable price, but, also, one I would prefer not to spend the afternoon with while picking lint from my navel and discussing with Barleycorn what it is like to be a dog. That is getting it straight from the horse's mouth.............ok, ok, so I am full of awful metaphors today........what's new with you?

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 723, Created:20070224123510)
Purchased at:Binny's in Chicago, Lakeview
Purchased for:$12.00
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Bond
Nose:There is a mighty sweet and sour funk going on here. Gingery spice and citrus fruit w/ some dust and sawdust notes. There's also some bubble gum and an old, dusty character. Overall, I'd say it's... interesting.
Taste:Sweet apples and molasses up front wane into rather strong astringent oak and leather notes.
Finish:Big and warm w/ a bit of burn. Black pepper notes outlast all else.
Overall:Not completely absent of what I'd normally consider off flavors but--and maybe this is just the mood I'm in--it makes this come across as unique rather than unpalatable. In the interest of comparison, I tried this in conjunction w/ a six year Sazerac (costing about ten dollars more) and I'd be hard pressed to say which I liked better. This is definitely a bit more assertive and less smooth but entirely enjoyable in its own right.

For twelve dollars, it's an absolute steal. If you know of a better whiskey for the price, let me know... Please!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 604, Created:20061011215019, Updated:20061012043555)
Purchased at:LeNell's
Purchased for:$15 approx.
Info on this bottle:This is the BIB (6 years old although not stated) from D.S.P. KY 354 (per back label), which means distilled under Heaven Hill supervision at Early Times (Brown Forman) in Shively since at the time HHhad no distillery due to the fire in 1996
Nose:The nose holds notes of barrel wood, ethanol, fruit (maybe ripe apples) and grains
Taste:Sweetness comes first, then potency, then the rye in the background
Finish:The finish is really good, the elements meld beautifully, leaving sweet and light barrel decay on the palate
Overall:This is the best Rittenhouse BIB I've ever had. Earlier ones showed less integration and more of the gingerbread and earthy flowers quality noted by others. I don't know if the Early Times still has altered some characteristics here. If so, it is for the better. This whiskey is a fine value, it is much better than many whiskeys costing away more dollars.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 492, Created:20060505200629)
Purchased at:Acquired by trade;
Purchased for:< $15
Info on this bottle:Standard BIB bottle
Nose:Fruity. Gingerbread, mint, cotton candy, caramel, and oak.
Taste:Rich spicy flavor with touches of mint. Nice rye spiciness.
Finish:Medium to long finish. Sweet fading to dry. Subtle rye spice.
Overall:A very nice rye at a great price. Perhaps my favorite of the inexpensive ryes. Difficult to find, I believe it is distributed largely to the mid Atlantic states.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 213, Created:20050713204631)
Purchased at:Gift from Bardstown, KY friend
Purchased for:$0 (gift)
Info on this bottle:Neck states 10 Years Old; 700ml bottle was apparently headed overseas
Nose:Dark brown sugar and summer flowers, grafted together to form a sense of light richness. Pepper grass appears after some time in the glass. The rye grain makes itself known only after everything else, at the bottom of the glass.
Taste:Pretty complex, with notes of dark rum, molasses and caramel. The rumminess offers a sweet entry, while the molasses are blackstrap, providing just an uptick of slight bitterness at the back of the tongue.
Finish:Medium-long to long, and warm, with caramelized brown sugar the lasting (quite pleasant) impression.
Overall:I was told by the presenter that the 10yo BIB is not often bottled by Heaven Hill, with smallish runs sometimes ordered by custom buyers. I believe younger Rittenhouse entries are available spottily in the U.S., but the 700ml glassware marks this one for an overseas market. I am nursing this bottle both because of its fine quality and apparent rarity. A fine treat.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews