Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameEagle Rare 101
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content101 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoBT low rye after 1992
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 20448
Bottling InfoThis deep amber bourbon has a sweet, oaky nose and an unusual herbaceous quality. The body is full, while the palate offers a complexity that's hard to find in most bourbons--deep fruit, a touch of honey, and even some smokiness. This bottling breaks all the rules, as it is reminiscent of a fine port. Drink it neat.

- Wine Enthusiast Magazine

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1492, Created:20090217103915) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:New York State
Purchased for:$19.99 marked down from $25.99
Info on this bottle:2004 Frankfort
Nose:Notes of dark caramel, seasoned oak and mentholated alcohol
Taste:Rich, sweet, soft as butter with rounded barrel flavours
Finish:Lightly drying yet with plenty of sweet at the same time
Overall:Superb bottling. It has the faint Trace earthiness, just enough to lend complexity without putting a classic bourbon flavor off-balance. This is your old dark rum-type bourbon, a style that is not legion today. Lovely drink of the highest quality.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1378, Created:20081204221733, Updated:20081204224022)
Purchased at:50 ml gifts from Birdman and Rake
Info on this bottle:2003 Frankfort and Lawrenceburg bottle
Nose:THe Frankfort was deeper with a little more earth. The Lawrenceburg has more brown suger... both are graet examples of ER 101, but very diffrent
Taste:The Frankfort is better by far. The Lawrenceburg has an odd earth taste to it. Very good, but the Frankfort is much better.
Finish:Both have the ER finish, but there is more in the frankfort version. The tones drag on longer. The Lawrenceburg tends to end sour...
Overall:I would buy either if I could find them, but if there was a case of each, I would buy... well all of them, but the Frankfort 12 first ...

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1248, Created:20080820192509)
Purchased at:Don't remember
Purchased for:Don't remember
Info on this bottle:Old Prentice Lawrenceburg
Nose:Toffee mostly with some caramel. Also a whisp of vanilla.
Taste:Bold. Assertive, yet very refined. Peaches late.
Finish:Medium length.
Overall:This is my favorite expression of ER-101 and all ER in general.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1181, Created:20080701174125, Updated:20080701174856) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from Doug Fricky
Purchased for:Bourbon Brotherhood Is Priceless
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Frankfort, KY
Nose:A deeply mahogany hued amber with a thick and coating viscosity in the glass and lucious legs. It's easy to see this is a ten year old.

The nose opens with orange; caramel, vanilla, and sweet chared oak. Spice undertones are nutmeg and some light cinnamon. Some corn and malt sweetness fills out the back line.
Taste:The flavors are complex and well balanced. Candy tones are well amalgamated. The oak steps up a bit, and some leather arrives. Spice girls sing backup.
Finish:Spice girls sing lead against a drying oaken fadeout. Leather steps up and dances with some late arriving mint. Of medium duration with semi-quick decay, but the natural reverberation is killer.
Overall:I like this stuff! Damn shame it's all gone.

The Glencairn glass was used for this review.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1147, Created:20080615002420, Updated:20080620195928)
Purchased at:Barrel Samples BT
Purchased for:The Cost of One Trip To KY
Info on this bottle:Barrel one of Two of the BD/BE/L&K Barrel Purchase - Barrel Sample #52m Lot 98-C-11, Barreled 1998, March 29
Nose:Spice, oak, some Vanilla malt, rye and sweetness over time. The vanilla and vanilla cream show up in this at 3-5 min.
Taste:MMM sweet, vanilla and some rich chocolate-Vanilla blend.. THis is great. By far the best tasteing ER I have had.
Finish:Wow, this one is great. Vanilla and oak with some light rye and perfect burn??? The vanilla is strong in this one and it is very smooth... yummy
Overall:This one is great. I want a bottle a few of these. Wow??? The other barrel is good, but this one stands out alone???

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1146, Created:20080615001939)
Purchased at:Barrel Samples BT
Purchased for:The Cost of One Trip To KY
Info on this bottle:Barrel one of Two of the BD/BE/L&K Purchase - Barrel Sample #47
Nose:Rye, Vanilla malt, some spice over time, little cinnamon, little pine with the oak. As time passes the vanilla increases??? This goes from good to very good on the nose
Taste:Eagle rare alright. Lighter than most even at cask strength. No real burn??? very nice. As time passes the vanilla increases and becomes very pleasant
Finish:Vanilla and oak, leather and some good burn. There is some rye and corn that tries to dominate. The rye taste in this stands up a little more.

As time passes, this becomes much bigger on the vanilla and caramel peeks up...
Overall:This is good. Best of the ER I have had to date. Over times it keeps getting better??? At least one bottle of this for the shelf

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1133, Created:20080613181848) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Vanilla and oak wood with some sweet spice in the background. There are some fruit notes that open up when the bourbon is warmed a little - cherries or ripe blackberries.
Taste:Berries and othe fruits with some sweet spices like nutmeg and cloves followed by some nice oak wood tanins, drying the taste out a bit but not a harsh dryness at all.
Finish:Long and dry. The oak wood dominates but the sweet fruit and caramel are playing well together in the background.
Overall:This is a very good bourbon. It is a shame that the whiskey shortage has caused a shortage of this whiskey causing BT to take it off the market in favor of their newer version - the Eagle Rare single Barrel. I think the 101 proof adds more flavor than you will find in the single barrel.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1067, Created:20080413000139) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Purchased from a fellow Burbonian
Purchased for:29.99
Info on this bottle:Eagle Rare Old Prentice New Orleans. This was a 1.75 Liter Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:101
Nose:Lovely, soft and caramelly, notes of vanilla, a whisp of leather. Not overly alcholic.
Taste:Wonderful. More full than the new stuff. Great mouth feel. Very little bite. More Caramel and Vanilla. Oak late.
Finish:Finishes very nicely although not overly long. Begs a second sip.
Overall:I enjoy this bourbon very much. Too bad it has been discontinued and replaced by a lesser product at a higher price. But I guess that is MBA Marketing these days.
I will take a case of the old stuff please. I shared this bottle with my bourbon friends both here and in Virginia. Everyone seems to like it.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1018, Created:20080214223129, Updated:20080214223924)
Purchased at:Gift from Mike and Barleycorn
Purchased for:freebie
Info on this bottle:10yt
Nose:Very Rich. Fresh butterscotch and confections. I am already depressed that I do not have more and I have not tasted it yet
Taste:Taste - Vanilla fudge with almonds
Finish:hmmm confection coated almonds comes to mind with peanuts. A wonderful lingering flavor of the bourbon.. ending in a great brown sugar finish to the finish
Overall:This is elegant like a desert wine... fortified aged Muscat... just wonderful
Every sip got better....

Not sure if each of the 101s are as wonderful, but this is in a class of its own for richness. Not as complex as the 2007 B-Day bourbon, but when you want a after dinner bourbon... this is it.. dessert in a glass.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 753, Created:20070424130956, Updated:20070429051917) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Deep dark forest
Purchased for:A sack of peanuts
Info on this bottle:Made in der woods by der elves
Nose:A bourbon nose that hums an outdoor tune. Flowers, vanilla, wood, rye, butterscotch, and honey. Authentic and pleasing!
Taste:A richly sweet entry that is viscous and creamy. Spice is sparce but welcome at mid-palate. Still, the spice grows toward the back of the mouth into a glowing bite. Challenging, but far from overpowering, is Eagel Rare 101!
Finish:ER 101 has a very good finish of moderate to long duration. Not only is it respectable, but it is quite good.

Now, y'all, I am going to be honest here (unlike my usual lying self) and reveal that I like ER 101 a whole bunch. I can get a bottle of this, turn on one o' them TV preachers and have a grand time. Barleycorn (my bourbon loving dog) says I will get mine one day, and he is no doubt right.........but in the meantime...... laissiez les bon temps rouler!
Overall:An excellent bourbon by my lights. Much superior, to my palate, to either of the two ER Single Barrel 90 proof bourbons I have sampled. The plan seems to have been to reduce the proof to make it more profitable, put it in new packaging (I think the glass is etched on the ERSB) and hope nobody notices that it is an inferior bourbon...............well, dammit, I noticed.

I have no plans to buy the ERSB, but did discover a stash of ER 101............hmmmm, I'd best trot my ash over there soon, soon, to see do they still got a couple of bottles. I will bury them in my back yard for the hard times sure to come...........If I put little ER 101 flags where they are buried will anyone notice?

Review from kystraightbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 642, Created:20061112203121) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Red Wagon Shopee
Purchased for:$21
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottling
Nose:The intensity is quite strong. I brought it down to 90 proof before nosing and tasting this one (I was comparing to the single barrel). I found the nose not to be as sharp as my bottling of the single barrel. There was caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, and oak, with hints of roses, ginger, and the smoky smell of sweet pipe tobacco. This one makes promises and delivers.
Taste:The entry was smooth and buttery with some pepper around the edges. I found it to be a bit coating on the tongue. It was sweet with very little bitterness. Flavors of brown sugar and vanilla dominated with some oak char smokiness. I liken the flavor to a dark roasted coffee I brew and flavor with brown sugar and vanilla. Very good.
Finish:The finish was medium in length and leaves a slight bitterness of oak char and tannins. There was a lingering hint of hazelnuts.
Overall:I cherish this bottle. I only learned this summer that it was no longer being produced. I was very disappointed. I know that I am not the only one. This is an excellent bourbon and one of my favorites. Please make more!

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 621, Created:20061030133739) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$20
Nose:A nice nose with all that a very good bourbon nose should have. Vanilla, caramel, a touch of warm rye, cinnamon, nuts, leather, and corn all march into the nose singing 'My Old Kentucky Home' in perfect harmony.
Taste:Sweet and spice, sweet and spice. Thick corn and cream sweetness followed by cinnamon/pepper spice. A very nice bourbon taste leaning slightly on the sweet side of the spectrum.
Finish:A moderate to long finish of the better than average variety. The spice makes a farewell bow, upstaging the sweet a bit.
Overall:I like ER 101 better this time around. It is an enjoyable and excellent no longer produced bourbon...........a shame in my opinion!! The last bottle in 'my' liquor store disappeared today..........because, damn me, I recommended it to a fellow bourbon lover. At least it will have a good home!!

Review from Squire (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 493, Created:20060507163322)
Purchased at:Jackson, MS
Purchased for:$16.95
Nose:Fairly strong nose of barrel, caramel, toffee, char and something mineral
Taste:Hot, good body with typical bourbon touches of caramel and vanillin. Full flavor but not as rich or complex as the nose would indicate.
Finish:Medimun long finish with dry barrel and oak predominating.
Overall:Excellent mixing whiskey, one of the best to impart a Bourbon flavor to a cocktail, and I'm stocking up on this discontinued expression just for that purpose.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 378, Created:20060311075713)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Vanilla and fruit - dates and cherries, with oak wood and molasses.
Taste:Oak wood and caramel with a bit of an alcohol burn.
Finish:Caramel and oak tannins that last a long time.
Overall:Good for a fine cocktail such as an old fashioned or on the rocks.

Review from JoeBourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 280, Created:20050927135137)
Purchased at:Toddy's in Bardstown
Purchased for:20.00
Info on this bottle:Eagle Rare 10 Years Old, 101 Proof
Nose:Hints of cinnamon and slight hint of menthol. Pleasant.
Taste:Mild sweetness on the front of tongue. Fair alcohol burn which faded rapidly after the first sip. Pleasant and easy to drink. Could not pick up any distinct tastes.
Finish:Short to Medium length. Finishes dry. Mildly alcoholic, but not unpleasant.
Overall:I like this bourbon. IMO, it is a decent middle shelfer, not quite reaching greatness. Unfortunately it is no longer made.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 255, Created:20050822114018, Updated:20060508112126)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$19
Nose:A rich nose with vanilla, corn, butterscotch, caramel, citrus, and wild flowers.
Taste:A nice sweet caramel introduction that gently makes its way across the palate without a lot of fuss. Some pepper and spice present toward the back.
Finish:The finish is moderately long and pleasant all the way through. I don't think I would ever guess that this is a 101 proof bourbon.
Overall:I would rate this bourbon as satisfactory for a 10 YO. It is a decent bourbon for the money, and no doubt has its adherents and fans. I find it lacking in complexity and not quite the equal of several other 10 year olds (e.g. Russell's Reserve, Old Rip Van Winkle, and W L Weller). If you like a bourbon where sweetness predominates, this is your baby!

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews