Bottling NameEvan Williams Black
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 152592
Bottling Info
Events for this bottling:

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2349, Created:20150911191839)
Purchased at:LCBO Grimsby,Ontario
Purchased for:$28.90 CDN
Info on this bottle:No age statement...I get the feeling that this might be the same as Beam Black in that it's only a 6 year old bourbon here and not the 8 year old in the US.
Nose:Corn...Vanilla...Charred oak...Fairly standard stuff
Taste:Corn sweetness with a bit of vanilla and then some rye spice tingle...
Finish:The corn sweetness and vanilla fading into charred oak and slight bitterness...
Overall:Not bad...It's slightly less than a bottle of Jim Beam Black and that's about right...Passable,but,nothing terribly exciting...Beam Black is a better option,though...

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2325, Created:20150201150602, Updated:20150201153309)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago south loop
Purchased for:$12
Info on this bottle:No age statement
Nose:Mostly banana and vanilla, it's got some nuttiness to it. Can't even detect the alcohol, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Taste:Oak and cherry with a little fruity sweetness; the vanilla is still there but just barely, and it's got a little bit of smoke to it. Almost no burn. I would describe it as completely inoffensive but not particularly special.
Finish:Pretty short. Smoky and woody, with some leather and a touch of bitterness. A little sweetness lingers, I can just barely taste banana as the finish fades.
Overall:This has been my favorite cheap pour for a while now; it's good enough to drink by itself but cheap enough that I don't feel bad about mixing it. Not spectacular but in my book it beats Jim Beam or Jack Daniels by a wide margin. Overall, tastes like bourbon.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from ConleeC (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2305, Created:20140922001836) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor store on Cesar Chavez and Rowan in Los Angeles, CA
Purchased for:$9.99
Info on this bottle:750 ml
Nose:Strangely, the first impression I had was bananas, which concerned me, as I'm not a fan of banana flavored confections. Vanilla and maple, too.
Taste:Sweet corn, vanilla, and spice. No hint of the banana nose, in the taste, so disaster averted.
Finish:Not too complex, but more so than expected for a $10 bottle of whiskey. Goes down surprisingly smooth, with a slight burn, and leaves a hint of cinnamon.
Overall:I actually quite like this bourbon. It blows the doors off Jim Beam White, which to me leaves a medicinal taste in the finish. Sweet and spicy. I hate to say it, but it's sort of at the top of my short list of favorites. It doesn't have the complexity of an E.H. Taylor Small batch or a Johnny Drum Private Stock, but it's also 1/5 the price. It holds up surprising well to those top-shelf bourbons, and is now a permanent addition to my cabinet.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2291, Created:20140103112125) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:New York City
Purchased for:$17.00
Info on this bottle:Standard current liter
Nose:Lots of char and some wood
Taste:Delicious sweet smooth and minty. (Didn't The Who have an early compilation called that?). Full aged, no young oily corn taste, no bread dough. Early NAS samples did show that and I stayed away for years, but this current bottling is back on form. Quite honestly, I prefer it to most bourbon at double, triple and six times the price. It is better (this bottle) than almost anything else HH bottles IMO. I am tired of spending two and three times what I paid 10 years ago for brands which don't offer more, and many less, than this bottle.
Finish:Satisfying.
Overall:9 out of 10, all I want in a bourbon, and more.

Review from thomas15 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2276, Created:20131101204219, Updated:20131102074108)
Purchased at:PA LCB
Purchased for:$12.49 750 Liters
Info on this bottle:Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Nose:Alcohol, wood, caramel, corn. Nothing really jumps out even when allowed to breath and a little water did nothing to the nose, except I noticed a slight earthy note emerge from the H2O. It is a pleasant nose, not offensive in any way.
Taste:Smooth, sweet. A mild alcohol taste. Goes down quite easy.
Finish:Short, sweet and delightful. No complaints and actually quite a good finish. It has one of those finishes that makes you look forward to the next sip.
Overall:A good Bourbon that is pleasant to sip neat. Holds up well to other more expensive offerings. In the past when I have mixed this with coke I have thoght it had quite a bite and was prepared to have my timbers shaken but to my surprise this concoction is great neat. I have seen this bottle on sale at around $10.00. Next time it is on sale I'm getting a case for the bunker.

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2234, Created:20130828165048, Updated:20130828165301)
Purchased at:Layton, State Liquor Store
Purchased for:$11.99 750ml
Nose:Nice dark golden amber color.

Nice vanilla note, caramel, nice oaky scent, spicy.
Taste:Sweet on the lips, nice oak note, touch of vanilla, with some spicy notes.
Finish:Lasts pretty long, very smooth for such a cheaper bourbon.
Overall:This one really surprised me also, for being cheaper. Another nice bourbon for the price, would recommend. I do like this better than the Green Label.

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2211, Created:20130705020256) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Mega Liquor Warehouse
Purchased for:$9 750ml
Nose:Spicy corn with light hints of vanilla and smoke
Taste:Spicy, alcohol bite, gives way to oak
Finish:Lingering oak and spice
Overall:Good choice for a well whiskey, a decent cheap mixer, tastes extremely close to Jack in Coke, Sours, and Old Fashions but at half the price of Jack. Definitely not for drinking neat!

Review from karloff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2128, Created:20121126061659, Updated:20121126061741)
Purchased at:Newcastle
Purchased for:28 Pounds
Info on this bottle:Fathers day present off my daughters
Nose:Woody and nutty with vanilla and dry fruits
Taste:Smooth with dark fruits and toffee
Finish:Short and sweet
Overall:Quite liked it, i thought it was better than Jack

Review from deepwoodskentuckian (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2124, Created:20121103012408, Updated:20121103013349)
Purchased at:ephriam utah liquor agency
Purchased for:10 bucks
Info on this bottle:Evan Williams Kentucky straight bourbon sour mash
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:alcohol , char ,rye,mollases,grain,caramel .Good nose for price
Taste:incredibly light alcohol bite short peppery chair and rye spicyiness then sweet finish
Finish:sweet woodsy grainy finish
Overall:extremly impressed as it finishes better then jim beam which is ten bucks more. Evan has became my favorite whisky

Review from deepwoodskentuckian (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2123, Created:20121103012339)
Purchased at:
Nose:[Olfactory impressions]
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]

Review from ChewyLeatherTobacco (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1988, Created:20110916141147, Updated:20110916142119)
Purchased at:Australia.
Nose:mint. sweet.
Taste:rough as guts. prickly splinter oak. not refined. sweet notes. dry.
Finish:made me sick quick. not for me.
Overall:wrote this review only so people that hate prickly oak real rough can avoid.
the 101 from same place i think would be safer choice although it just charcoal and tastless.

I do recommand Evan Willams Barrel Select, i had too long ago. it'd not even the same as this. It's excellent value bourbon. Liquice, sweet, soft brown suger, spices. complex, demanding, oak not offensive, etc.

Review from BarrelProof23 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1867, Created:20100901232018, Updated:20100902230450) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Spirit Shop
Purchased for:$19.95
Info on this bottle:750ml
Nose:Vanilla, Oak, and Hay
Taste:Tastes as if someone put vanilla extract in their rectum and then shit in my mouth.
Finish:vanilla
Overall:overall i would say this is shyte thats not even good enough to mix, dish out some extra money and get something good<-- my initial thoughts on this were decided after taking a couple swigs straight from a brand new bottle, then I tried mixing it with flat coke. But after I let it air out a little in a glass for 10 minutes, with a splash of water, its not bad. However for the price of this in PA, Its still not worth it.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1548, Created:20090427113120) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Boston
Purchased for:$1.79 = 50ml Miniatures
Info on this bottle:Evan Williams Black Label (Charcoal Filtered)
Nose:Sharp sweetness meets allspice, mushroom, earth, and dusty corn.
Taste:Good body. Edgy. Thick slow drip = decent legs. Surprisingly good viscosity for an inexpensive whiskey. Very drinkable with some vanilla and young oak. Leafy. Some forest greens...
Finish:Not much, but a decent burn without being too harsh. Remarkably smooth.
Overall:The charcoal filtering imparts a sandy yet rich texture. Taken neat in a Hine Cognac Tulip. I'd put it right up there with OGD 86. In that class... much better than I expected. BB

..."I'm baaaaaaaaack!!!"

Review from kystormwatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1464, Created:20090206164635)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn
Purchased for:$4 for 200ml
Info on this bottle:Standard Black Label bottle
Nose:Very woody - not only oak, but oddly sort of a hint of pine. Grassy. New leather.
Taste:Initial rush was not that pleasant. Char and smoke were heavy.
Finish:After a light burn, it left an aftertaste that was more reminiscent of vegetables than any fruity flavors. Finish is medium length. That char and smoke flavor hang on too long.
Overall:I just can't say that I'm much of a fan of this bourbon. It can hold its own with some of the less expensive choices, but does nothing at all to rise above them. Not much smoothness. I'd mix it with a coke, or use it in a recipe (as noted by an earlier review), but drinking it neat would not be my choice.

Review from maxthebear (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1348, Created:20081111084231)
Purchased at:Local package store in Montgomery County MD
Purchased for:approx 10
Info on this bottle:750ml
Nose:Classic bourbon nose, slightly smoky, with a hint of spice and vanilla. A slight edge
Taste:Clean, slightly edgy in the 90 proof expression which is, for the most part unavailable. The 86 proof is murkier, and lacks the clean crispness of the 90 proof. An inferior product to the 7 year old. It is watered down
Finish:Short finish, with little character except a lingering heaviness on the tongue
Overall:Evan Williams Black used to be my every day, when it was aged 7 years and was 90 proof. This watered down version is just that, watered down. I was extremely disappointed with the first taste of the "new" expression, and have given up on it. I used to be able to serve it to discerning friends who would be shocked when they learned what it was. Now, I would not serve it, even in a mixed drink

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1118, Created:20080610173131, Updated:20080610210205)
Purchased at:XYX Liquors Tybee Island GA
Purchased for:$1.29 for 50 ml
Nose:vanilla, corn, touch of char
Taste:Sweet corn and vanilla that is robustly thick
Finish:Moderate, decent with an edge!
Overall:I done reviewed the peahawky out of this bourbon and just gives it a go now and again. I still like and enjoy it and consider it way too good for the likes of Coke. Slightly rough in the finish, but folks my age need a easy way to test our manhood.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 850, Created:20071009190105, Updated:20071009190724)
Purchased at:Down by the Riverside
Purchased for:$100 Monopoly money
Nose:The rye declares itself early on along with a smudge of charcoal. The corn pops out with a touch of honey.
Taste:As I imagine that I have spent $100 (Monopoly) for this bottle of whiskey, my mind finds some justification by way of its 'robust' character. It has some spicy bite, but it does not attack you outright. Whatever 'subtle' means, this whiskey does not embody it. It seems higher in alcohol than 86 proof. Still, do you not see me sip, and sip again?
Finish:The finish is extended and satisfactory. It does not die quickly. There is a mite of raggedness that a $100 (Monopoly) bourbon should not have (you could trade it for a hotel)
Overall:This review should disabuse anyone who might think that I know anything about bourbon of that notion. If you need a review to help you find a great bourbon, forget it. If you are in it for the taste, taste all the bourbons available to you and pick a few that fit you, to hell with the rest. Don't do as I have done, trying to be too analytical about it. Fortunately for me, I have liked bourbon more than writing about it (and I have loved writing about it, too). Bourbon IS WONDERFUL because of its unique flavors and its ability to tweak your senses with its effects. We humans have been drawn to the spirits from time long since forgotten, and ever will we be so drawn. But, Bourbon IS DANGEROUS and should always be treated with respect.

As to Evan Williams Black Label Bourbon, I like it well enough. It is worth $100 (Monopoly).

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 704, Created:20070205081832)
Purchased at:Avondale Liquors
Purchased for:$9
Nose:Sweet caramel, malt and corn w/ some background notes of oak.
Taste:Not much to say here. A friend of mine says it tastes like cheap whiskey and I suppose that would be decent way to some it up. Sort of a muddle of corn, oak and leather w/o much in the way of delicacy or complexity.
Finish:Short but smooth despite some unpleasant alcoholic underpinnings.
Overall:Not exactly top shelf stuff but nice enough to drink neat if you're so inclined (especially later in the evening when your palate might be a little ragged). I'd put this on about the same level of quality as Jim Beam white label (though not necessarily that similar in flavor) and would serve equally well as the basis of a whiskey and ginger or a sour.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 444, Created:20060403155600)
Purchased at:Wine and Spirit Shop, Covington, GA
Purchased for:About $11
Info on this bottle:No age statement
Nose:Corn, vanilla, wood, caramel, rye, leather, light char, and spices, come at you as they should in a bourbon. All in all, not an assertive or complex nose, but a good, pleasant, bourbony nose that satisfied while not inspiring.
Taste:The taste is slightly thin, but quite pleasant. There is a nice slug of spice with pepper that suggests that this is a very decent bourbon. There is some rye, vanilla and oak to round out the gustatory experience.
Finish:The finish is fairly long and somewhat alcoholic for an 86 proof bourbon. The spice and rye edge are there, along with a touch of roughness that one could do without.
Overall:Since there is no longer an age statement on this bottle, I don't really know that this is the above advertised 7 YO bourbon. Still, for about $11, I don't consider this a bad buy. It has all the essential bourbon qualities and it is only when that slight roughness comes through that you might wish for something a bit better. In my opinion, the difference between this bourbon and the most expensive is not huge, but it is definitely there.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 383, Created:20060311082248)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Bread Dough yeast with corn and a little leather.
Taste:Corn and spice - ginger and cinnamon, with a little oak.
Finish:Short and sweet with a little oak tannin.
Overall:Good bourbon for a whiskey sour.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 161)
Purchased at:Given to me at a bourbon function
Info on this bottle:50 ml bottle
Nose:Strong Corn with a little smoke or soot. There is a little vanilla and spice - ginger in the background.
Taste:Oily mouth feel with strong sweet corn and vanilla flavor leading into a little of the spicey ginger.
Finish:Long finish with sweet corn at first leading to a tannic oak dry taste.
Overall:Not a bad product. I would use it to mix drinks for friends or cooking more than a drink it neat bourbon, but very respectable at its price point.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews