Bottled ByDavid Sherman/Luxco St. Louis,Mo
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoHeaven Hill Wheated Bourbon
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 69973
Bottling Info

Review from fenderbender4 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2366, Created:20160411041510)
Purchased at:Mendota Liquor
Purchased for:14.99
Info on this bottle:Tasted neat
Nose:Grain-iness (more associated with wheat). Usual brown sugar, toffee, and corn sweetness. A hint of fresh fruits, probably more pre-ripe. Not a robust nose-level.
Taste:For me, mostly corn sweetness. The taste kind of followed nose but not much. I will say I didn't catch a lot of alcohol taste/acetone note, so that's a plus.
Finish:Fast, like a firecracker. Dissipates quickly. Whisps of cinammon and toffee. Maybe mint-iness? Doesn't last long.
Overall:For $14.99, it's serviceable. As to the notion that it's a "diamond in the rough" kind of thing, I would disagree. I prefer Old Fitzgerald BIB, JW Dant BIB, and Very Old Barton at this price range. However, I've found I like the woodiness and dryness that comes with aging (some might even call it bitter). With that said, it might be a good "cheap" whiskey for people who really don't like the oak-associated flavors/sensations in bourbon.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Tim Gorden (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2143, Created:20121219205939) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:NC
Info on this bottle:NC ABC
Nose:Not much to it.
Taste:Watered down bourbon
Finish:too easy
Overall:I wanted to review this bourbon because I read a favorable review and took a chance, a big mistake. Don't buy this unless you are using it as a mixer. I had some friends over that requested bourbon, I actually had to apologize for serving them this stuff as it is in my opinion the worst bourbon I have ever had.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1741, Created:20091103155917) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Idaho State Liquor Dispensary
Purchased for:13.95
Info on this bottle:New two crests instead of four
Nose:Here is where my surprise began. Nice honey, alcohol, a little citrus and old leather.
Taste:Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be good. It is pretty good. Nice sweet citrus, with a little smoldering smoke on the backside.
Finish:Way better than its cost, color, or proof would imply. This is such a light colored bourbon, I was expecting a nonexistant finish like on an Old Crow or Ten High. Not here a little subdued wheater finish. Very nice
Overall:I was very impressed. This is actually good. Nice nose, followed by good flavor, and a small, but pleasant finish. For the cost this is a very good value.

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1614, Created:20090626065330)
Purchased at:Virginia ABC
Purchased for:16.45
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Light oak, vanilla
Taste:soft vanilla oak
Finish:none, there and then it is gone
Overall:not much to say on this one...... I don't know can you even call this bourbon. More like corn whiskey that had an afternoon in a barrel

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1244, Created:20080820190015)
Purchased at:
Nose:Young bourbon nose. Corn, little vanilla,
Taste:Sweetcorn and vanilla. not a lot of complexity, but good
Finish:corn finish. sweet, but not really vanilla.
Overall:Fun bourbon. GOod, but definitly the tail end of the SW line...

Review from Anonymous (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1075, Created:20080508200208)
Purchased at:House of Liquor, Richmond Ky.
Purchased for:9.95
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:does it have one? Light wood is all I can detect.
Taste:sweet,
Finish:very easy,
Overall:Nothing to brag about. Not bad but nothing to brag about. Maybe for a beginner?
Would give to a drunk friend, but not a sober one.
I am trying to write something good but nothing about this bourbon stands out.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 461, Created:20060426083412)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Citrus fruit and vanilla with some oak wood and leather.
Taste:Thin and watery - caramel and oak with very little else.
Finish:Short and hardly existant - very dissappointing.
Overall:Bourbon and Coke bourbon

Review from Squire (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 238, Created:20050808211717)
Purchased at:Jackson, MS
Purchased for:$10.59
Info on this bottle:recent expression
Nose:Bit of caramel, some vanilla, oak but not char,High notes of grass and flowers, more bay leaf than lavender, blending into apple tones.
Taste:Very smooth on entry, no alcohol burn, mid palate displays a lower middle to thin body with char apparent, some vanilla but tannins take over and there is little else that was present in the scent. Obviously a wheat and a young one.
Finish:Short and hot, virturally none of the attributes that were in the nose. Just to make certain I tried again after letting the pour air for about 25 minutes so as to to make sure my nose and palate hadn't mislead me. Some of the barrel and vanilla remain but are killed by the hotness.
Overall:30 years ago when this brand was 6 years and 90 proof it was a very good whiskey. My bottle was purchased locally and recently and it is a pale shadow of its former self. It is a very good general use bourbon but I cannot recommend its purchase at this price. If general is the highest use I can recommend Evan Williams 10 yr old is available in our local market for a dollar less a bottle.

This child needs to go back into the barrel and grow up.

Review from tlsmothers (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 36)
Purchased at:LeNell's
Purchased for:$13.50
Nose:Sweet cream salted butter, dried fruits, particularly dates), slight orange peel, smoke and a bit of raisin.
Taste:Up front is burnt butter, a woody weightiness, with a bit of lemon peel and licorice. Mid-palate reveals clove. Second passing with a drop of water shows somewhere between cumin and caraway.
Finish:Slightly minty with clove and smoky charcoal, a tad of clove on the end.
Overall:I never would have guessed that this is a wheated bourbon. It's more robust than expected from a wheater. While some have described Rebel Yell as a "nasty" bourbon, cutting with water reduces any rough edges and brings out subtleties this whiskey has to offer. Drinking neat does make you want to let out a "rebel yell." Good for drinking around a camp fire on a chilly night.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews