Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Grand Dad
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoHigh rye
Views (since 20080612) 166566
Bottling InfoBottled in Bond

Review from BlueGrass_BrownWater (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2363, Created:20160218011443) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$16
Info on this bottle:Bonded
Nose:Surprisingly delicate with vanilla and floral aromas being most prevalent.
Taste:Dry, well-balanced and the right amount of spice. Leather pops up mid-run and I seem to get a little black pepper as well. It is an unexpectedly smooth whiskey but I wouldn't quite describe it as "creamy" in texture due to its mouth-feel being a little on the thin side.
Finish:It finishes a little too short. I like how it starts but it doesn't leave you much of anything.
Overall:I am impressed with Old Grandad's Bonded bottle. It is well-crafted for smoothness and balance and there is no way you would ever guess that this is a 100-proof drink. For the price, it is hard to beat. It is one of my everyday bourbons but I would celebrate with it, no question. Thumbs up!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2324, Created:20150201144001)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago south loop
Purchased for:$19
Nose:Mint with strong floral scents. Some vanilla, caramel, and liquorice, and a little smoke and burn from the alcohol.
Taste:Predominantly oak and leather with some fruity sweetness. It's got a little spice and burn as well that seem to get stronger as it sits in the mouth.
Finish:Moderately long, mostly cherry and oak. Quite warming but the burn lingers and seems to rise in the back of the throat.
Overall:Better than I anticipated; the burn was somewhat stronger than I'm used to but I expect that from a 100 proofer. Overall it actually goes down quite smoothly. Not one of my favorites but it's a good value and I will probably buy another bottle in the future.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from DrBob (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2217, Created:20130710004808, Updated:20130710005255) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Albuquerque, NM
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Bond
Nose:Sweet , Slightly floral, slightly spicy, hint of orange; After an ice cube was aded, floral and citrus changed to cloves
Taste:Mild sweet up front, followed quickly by spice, very light; cloves or maybe cinnamon with some dilution (melted ice cube)
Finish:Short finish with a touch of rye spice, some lingering burn/heat; after ice cube melted finish still short but a clove aftetaste
Overall:A very smooth and mild whiskey, has the noticeable Beam aftertaste, short finish dissapointed me after the teasing nose. Have to
admit this one surprised me since it is generally well liked. A very "sessionable" whiskey. For the same money I like Fighting Cock. Rating 6.5/10. A good value bourbon.

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2190, Created:20130426060723, Updated:20130426063614) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:UK import
Purchased for:Lots.
Info on this bottle:11-Z405 SL
Nose:Beam core but cleaner and no off notes. Corn and Hay-like notes.
Taste:Hot at lips but no burn! Smooth. Orange Carmal damp malty note. Then Loads of Sugery Barrel Char and sticky grain that burst into Orange Juice and Pepper concentrate.
Finish:Sugery char residues and sticky rye. Warm pepper. Refine. All juicy. No burn.
Overall:I will differnetly look to get the 114 somehow. A must! 100 had none of those alcohol notes that I struggle with so 114 will be fine and even more filling. The wood is not pricky rather sugery and plenty of it. I actually put off 114 cause the current Beam small batch -Basil and Bookers C04 - were way too burn and strong for me.

Review from JLH3 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2120, Created:20120930235809)
Purchased at:BevMo
Purchased for:$18.00
Nose:Corn and oak. Some rye. Maybe a little vanilla in the back.
Taste:Sweet corn with a rye backing like the nose. Some orange peel and oak. Just a touch of heat.
Finish:Much smoother than I expected. Not overly long but a nice flavor. Spice.
Overall:Impressed. Well worth the money and will buy again. The high rye content is very nice.

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1550, Created:20090428070255)
Purchased at:Virginia ABC store
Purchased for:17.95 750ml
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Vanilla, citrus fruit, spice, with a hint of alcohol.
Taste:Vanilla, corn and smoky oak. mildly sweet.
Finish:medium soft finish last maybe 30 seconds but it leaves a sense of spice and sweetness on your mouth.
Overall:This was my first ever Bourbon and even though it was always mixed with coke in the beginning it will always have a place in my heart. Now straight it is just as good as I remember it. It does not disappoint at all. For me it is at the top of the "affordable" bourbons.

Review from Smedley (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1387, Created:20081216001658)
Purchased at:Jane, MO Wal-Mart
Purchased for:$16.00
Info on this bottle:Bonded
Nose:Not sure if it's the label enforcing the color but, maybe a hint of tangerine citrus. mature drupes such as cherries or persimmon, whiskey may not be old but my nose remembers something old such as tannin.
Taste:I let this brut open for at least 2 hours while sipping every 10 minutes. Spices such as ginger unfold and keeping with the nose, aged fruit. The bitterness of early persimmon can't possibly escape
Finish:This finish never ends. Paired with a full bowl of luxury navy flake in my pipe, I couldn't force this bourbon to relax any earlier. The sweet mature fruit flavors blended perfectly with this mild tobacco. This could never be a favorite bourbon but the finish lasts forever.
Overall:This whiskey needs to open up before you can give it an honest review. The whole demeanor of this bottle could be easlily misunderstood if naught a bit of patience. The rough and rugged alcohol nose and first sip toughness is actually enough to drive a newby away for good, but, upon investigation there is a redeeming quality about this pour; so sweet and dry at once. The sides of your tongue will detect some sour. Don't bother eating granny's fruit cake if you hate it like i do. You can receive the raisiny goodness with this 100proof bottle and catch a nice crazy buzz along the way.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1277, Created:20080908011947) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Info on this bottle:Old Grand Dad
Nose:Honey, allspice, oak, and straw. Honeysuckle? It's tempting. I like this 86 Proofer better than the 100. Granted, it has seen some air for a while and perhaps it settled down.
Taste:Smooth. It's like a cousin to Basil Hayden. I like it... easy drinking. The predominant note is Straw and Hay. Slightly leathery... glove leather. Vanilla. Good viscosity, comes across hefty. Good legs. Wildflower Honey.
Finish:Quick and dry.
Overall:I wouldn't throw it out of the line-up. It has its place... and tonight I'm impressed. Good nose. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1257, Created:20080822005352)
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Purchased for:$19
Info on this bottle:Old Grand Dad BIB
Nose:Hollow. Alcohol and more alcohol. A citrus edge. Grapefruit? Grainy. Some underlying brown sugar and orange peel. Ever so slight honey tone. Clove.
Taste:This is where it leaves me saying eh! It's unidimensional... and doesn't go anywhere.
Finish:Linear... hot burn, no fireworks. Quick on the way up into a plummeting nose dive.
Overall:Use it in a Rock and Rye? I dunno... the orange label works well around Halloween Festivities. We need to make this bottle useful.

Fire starter. BB

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1218, Created:20080731184411, Updated:20080731184747) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Virginia ABC Store #338 - Waynesboro, Virginia
Purchased for:$20.28
Info on this bottle:Distilled DSP-KY-230. Bottled DSP-KY-14
Nose:Ruddy copper hued amber. Good viscosity in the bottle with oily slow legs.
Sweet nose overall. Cornbread; vanillia, and nugat, on a backdrop of tobacco smoke and charred oak. Some sharp florals.
Taste:Prickling (not pickling) spices with a mildly tannic tongue assault. Sweetness arrives mid-palete. Not as complex as the nose. Good solid bourbon flavor overall with a ragged start.
Finish:Tannicness continues, but not as strong. Plenty of warmth that should be called 'heat'. Drying oaken decay. Semi-sweet/tart. Smoke on the water.
Overall:AC/DC belting out Highway To Hell slightly out of tune and way too loud. I guess that's why I like it!

Glass - What glass??? I just slugged this shit down straight from the bottle.

It's better that way! Now hop on a Harley-Davidson and put something exciting between your legs!

Review from Everman75 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1054, Created:20080405201647)
Purchased at:Corners Beverage Shop
Purchased for:$17.99
Info on this bottle:750ml
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:A little alcohol on the nose. Maybe slight berries? Candy cane.
Taste:Has a slight sweet taste at the begining, and then it disappears.
Finish:Medium. Not too short, not long enough. Kinda dry.
Overall:Honestly, this is my very first review, and I wanted just a good middle of the road SOLID bourbon. And this has been the case with OGD 100 all the time with me.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 972, Created:20080109135132, Updated:20091016104948)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$18
Nose:A good 'stiffen your backbone' bourbon aroma. Wait a moment for the alcohol to melt, then poke your nose in the glass and gather the corn, rye, leather, pecan pie, coconut pie, cream and nutty aromas as ye will. A twist of orange, a tweak of rye, a tinge of corn, and a touch of oak........bourbon. Alcohol and rye jump right up yo nose and warm it up, warm it up. T'aint shy, don't hole back, ready to fight, put you back on yo heels and you ain't ready. And you think I don't like it?...........naw, man, it got bourbon in its very bones!
Taste:Corny sweetness, orangy citrus, cinnamon and pepper........mighty fine y'all. Surprisingly sweet corn that is thick,........then follow that with a spicy rye bite and you got some ying and yang that can dance. A nice combination of spice and sweetness derived from corn and rye. A creamy thick sweetness and speciness march in tandem across your mouth dancing a little jig that is quite entertaining and inspiring. For the person who wants an inexpensive introduction to what real bourbon is about, there is none better, in my opinion!
Finish:Moderate to long finish that is very balanced between the spice and the corn sweetness. A smooth and pleasing mouth coating is left behind as OGD's calling card. This old man, he played one, he played nic nac on my.............you know this story!! Hangs on and hangs in. I still hear it and I am way over yonder by now.
Overall:Never get tired of OGD BIB. Get you some before they mess with it. I was raised in the canebreak by an old mama lion..........she drank Old Grand Dad and as long as I be a bourbon drinker, so will I!! Now, do you want a stronger reckymendashun or will that do? I liked OGD the first time I sipped some. I still like it.........a lot. It is a fine bourbon in my opinion and one that should never be overlooked or underestimated. If you like bourbon in its diversity, I cannot imagine that you would not have some OGD on hand for a sip once in a while!! I hope it is available 'til the very last day!!!

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 732, Created:20070321161558)
Purchased at:Sam's Wines in Chicago
Purchased for:18.00
Nose:Very musty, recalls the smell of boards being sawn in an old basement. (This is exactly the image I got in my head.)
Taste:It comes alive once tasted. Very sharp, biting, lots of oak, earth and a certain "greenness." One might call it bracing.
Finish:This is a burner. Yow! Otherwise, it's rather short and what lingers is rather reminiscent of the nose.
Overall:Whew... Not for the faint of heart. I have to admit, I think this bottle is gonna be around for a while--and not because I want to save it for a special occasion.

Review from artfag (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 541, Created:20060720233651, Updated:20060728004044)
Purchased at:state liquor
Purchased for:17.25
Info on this bottle:Bottled in Bond 100 proof
Nose:mmm, like bourbon. Sweet, fruit, some vanilla, im not very good at picking out scents. Let's just say it smells good. Good with some alcohol which wears off after a few minutes in the glass.

**Having not had this for a few days I decided to try it again for kicks and, well, just because I wanted some whiskey. Strangely it seems as though most of the nose is gone. The bottle was at a little over halfway and I've had it for around a week. I don't see why would lose its character so easily. Let me know if you have any ideas or similar experiences.***

*alright alright. I'm done after this. After a few glasses of some rather cheap and mellow blended scotch (Lauder's) grandpa's nose had made it back home. Maybe it was just the lack of comparison. Anyway. Still the same sweetness. I need to identify this. I want to say molasses but since I've never smelled molasses I can't say. Anyway, it's far better than cheap scotch, which isn't saying mch. I feel my 6 year old brother could drink that. Anyway, it's delightful.
Taste:Very warm in the mouth. spice, smokey charcoal, yet still some hints of sweetness, especially towards the front of the mouth. Caramel apple perhaps?
Finish:medium finish. not the longest. enough to enjoy though. goes down easy. unfortunately i cant taste much in the finish besides some spice. less heat than in the mouth.
Overall:decent pour. not sure how often i'll be revisiting as I'm a cheapskate. From what I remember I prefer Old Overholt. Maybe even Ancient Ancient Age. Still a very good whiskey to have on hand for day to day needs. Trying to bring myself to making a 30 dollar purchase for rare breed or woodford or ridgemont. enjoyable, flavorful drink though. Especially for all of you with the money to drop on single barrels.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 527, Created:20060616214309, Updated:20060616214349)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:200ml, BIB
Nose:Aromas of cinnamon, orange soda, circus peanuts candy, cotton candy. More alcohol than the 114.
Taste:A good body with a full fruity flavor. Thick chewy caramel, rye, circus peanuts candy. Creamy and buttery. Again, more alcohol bite than the 114.
Finish:Candy sweet finish fading to dry with a hint of sweetness.
Overall:Old Grandad has a personality all its own and cannot be mistaken among other Bourbon. This is a very enjoyable pour for reasonable money. I do prefer the 114 version, I feel it has a lot more going on in the nose and taste, but there is nothing wrong with the 100.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 431, Created:20060318083808)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Citrus fruit with vanilla and spice - cinnamon and nutmeg, with fine leather and tobacco.
Taste:Rye spice, caramel toffee and citrus fruits.
Finish:Sweet caramel and spice that lasts.
Overall:Very good bourbon to have with a meal.

Review from Blue (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 291, Created:20051003205249, Updated:20051003205331)
Purchased at:Local PLCB
Purchased for:18.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:The nose is an effervescent mix of ethanol, rye, and smoke.
Taste:Very true to the nose, a smokey rye taste with a good ethanol burn dominate the entire palate.
Finish:The finish is on the short side with more smoke and ethanol but with clear barrel impressions: charred vanilla and tobacco.
Overall:This is a decent bourbon for everyman and I always have it on hand.

Review from Squire (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 234, Created:20050803174643)
Purchased at:Jackson, MS
Purchased for:$15.39
Info on this bottle:BIB
Nose:The alcohol is most evident at first nose but after aireation for about 20 minutes the barrel notes emerge with caramel and vanilla predominate accented by rye spice.
Taste:Upon entry barrel char is the first taste sensation. Mid palate the thick, rich body carries the flavor of caramel, vanilla to a lesser extent, an undertone of a mildly herbaceous nature that reminds me of newly cut oat hay and a rye accent that is like just the right amount of hot sauce in a perfectly seasoned gumbo.
Finish:Slightly short with rye predominate. There is something apple like that seems to be an aroma/taste combination. Uncut the alcohol heat covers some of the nuances.
Overall:This is an expression I have kept on hand for the last three decades but do not use daily. For reasons that have passed from memory it has become my official hunting whiskey and accompanies me to South Dakota each October to open the phesant season. Usually the empty bottle is left there only to be replaced in August when I think to buy another. I had to dig around a bit in the cellar to find a bottle for this tasting and have concluded I should visit this old friend more often.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 193)
Purchased at:Buffalo, NY
Purchased for:$10.00
Info on this bottle:Recent buy, pint bottle
Nose:Light but clean pure bourbon scents (corn, smoke, ethanol)
Taste:Like the nose but more intense, concentrated, some roughness in the palate, quite reminiscent of other Beam bottlings such as Knob Creek (but "lite"), Beam Black, etc.
Finish:Fresh wood with hints of smoke and corn sweetness, improves with ice (knocks some of the edges off)
Overall:Very good whiskey. I wish it was more estery (fruit-like flavors) but otherwise it is very good, a classic. When I read of disappointment with an 11 year old whiskey being sold for 3 times the price, I know which I'd buy. I just hope this doesn't get dumbed down as the small batch phenom gathers pace.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 139)
Purchased at:Sigman Spirits, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$17.99
Nose:An effusive nose, at 100 proof, one would expect a bit more alcohol........it didn't jump out as I expected. It must be hiding behind something. Lemme see, pecan pie is my favorite pie, maybe that's it? I like vanilla, maybe that's it? And, I remember my own Granddad bringing me corn candy, could it be that? Nothing like the smell that comes with splitting oak, maybe that is what hides the alcohol. Maybe it is a new pair of long desired boots, with that leathery smell that says solid quailty? On the other hand, maybe this old grand-dad just plain smells wonderful!! Yeah, that's it!!
Taste:Because I didn't trust myself on this one, I am sipping it alongside a much more expensive and superb bourbon. OGD is goooood, very damn good!. Being still an amatuer, I don't even know if it is the product of some buyout or consolidated distillery, or what.......says Old Grand Dad Distillery on the bottle.... but in terms of taste, it don't ride in the back seat. This Grand Ole Daddy wants to drive, and says he has been around long enough to do it!!!!
Finish:A smooth drink, start to finish. Satisfying, very nice moderate length finish where the balance is maintained. Did I mention that this bourbon is balanced? No characteristic has a megaphone with this bourbon, it is well mannered and a class act all the way.
Overall:Not being timid........let me say that for $17.99 this is like being at the right place, at the right time, for a fantastic bargain. If you think I am wrong about OGD 100 proof Bonded Bourbon, get yosef a bottle, nose it at length, have a sip, and challenge me! Ima telling you this bourbon is way better than good. Do I like it? Yes indeedy!!!!!!!!!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 68)
Purchased at:Liquor Outlet in Louisville
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liqor store
Nose:Corn and spice - allspice or nutmeg. A hint of oak and floral tones.
Taste:Smooth with heat, but no burn. Corn sweetness and vanilla on the sides of the mouth. A bust of spicy rye at the back of the mouth.
Finish:Long and spicy sweet. Very nice going down the throat.
Overall:A very good bourbon for after dinner with a cigar or pipe full of tobacco. The flavor will not be lost with the flavor of the smoke. Compliments my pipe tobacco quite well.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews