Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Available
Age9
Views (since 20080612) 195045
Bottling Info<From their site>
History
Named after Abraham Lincoln's boyhood home in Kentucky, Knob Creek is truly bourbon at its finest. Created to represent whiskey before it was mass produced, Knob Creek embodies the look, feel and taste of pre-prohibition bourbon. This full-bodied, flavorful bourbon takes classic cocktails to a new level.

Distinctions
Knob Creek Bourbon, bottled at an honest 100 proof like all good bourbons were a century ago, is aged nine years in wood, giving it the distinction of being aged the longest of the Small Batch Bourbons. This extra aging allows it to absorb more of the sugar in the wood, giving it a slightly sweeter taste and nose.

Tasting Notes
Proof: 100
Color: Copper to medium amber
Aroma: Toasted nuts, grain oak
Taste: Rich, sweet, woody, full-bodied, almost fruity
Finish: Long, rich and glowing
Award: National Champion Whiskey - Wine Enthusiast
Comments: "At 100 proof, Knob Creek is as close to perfection as any bourbon on the market." - The Book of Bourbon

Pretty medium amber/russet color. Opening inhalation detects voluptuous, deep aromas of toasted walnut, cereal grain, and dark toffee; aeration serves to stimulate even deeper scents that include honey, hard candy and overripe peaches. There???s a burst of palate entry heat; midpalate features mature flavors of kiwi, key lime, raisins, plums and grapefruit. Aftertaste is rich, textured and sweet. One of my favorite muscle-bound tipples. - Paul Pacult - winemag.com
Events for this bottling:

Review from dave5422 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2285, Created:20131221204202, Updated:20131221205941)
Purchased at:Celebrations
Purchased for:$25.99
Info on this bottle:750ml
Nose:[Olfactory impressions] heavy oak, strong vanilla and carmel,
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression] good oak char, dark carmel, vanilla, sweet corn/fruit
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression] very satisfying long finish with heavy oak, almost dry
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling] first opportunity to try this spirit, found it to be a very proud bourbon with a complex offering of nose and taste; too complex to say it all

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from TonyW (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2269, Created:20131026003647, Updated:20131026003812)
Purchased at:Wine Works, Springfield
Purchased for:$33
Info on this bottle:9 year old Small Batch 750 ml
Nose:Butter, vanilla, sweet corn, almost delicate but with a little pepper.
Taste:Sweet vanilla on the front of the tongue, pepper and oak towards the back of the mouth.
Finish:Smooth clean finish, not as dry as some other bourbons, nice heat that doesn't overpower the taste. Taste of butterscotch left in your mouth.
Overall:An excellent bourbon. Flavorful, smooth with enough kick from the alcohol.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2222, Created:20130727194822)
Purchased at:Mega Liquor Warehouse
Purchased for:$27
Nose:Sweet vanilla and fruit, slight oak
Taste:Immediate hit from the tongue numbing proof of the alcohol quickly gives way to the spiciness of the rye. Nice rich corn and vanilla sweetness with a touch of oak.
Finish:Long oak tast subsides to a lingering tobacco finish.
Overall:Excellent Bourbon. Highly recommend.

Review from GBrough (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2218, Created:20130721212359)
Purchased at:liquor store
Purchased for:25.99
Nose:Spice, oak, caramel, vanilla, candied fruit and a nice sweetness
Taste:Very thick and chewy vanilla, caramel, oak, spice, lovely bit of candied apples and spiced peaches. Good balanced flavour, one of the best bourbons in this price range.
Finish:Thick vanilla, lingering caramel, spice, oak and fruit.
Overall:Very balanced flavour, good price I highly recommend it

Review from karloff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2126, Created:20121125135721, Updated:20121126061950)
Purchased at:newcastle
Purchased for:35 Pounds
Info on this bottle:Birthday Present
Proof Of this Bottle:50
Nose:A wonderfull oily feel with chocolate, honey and vanilla
Taste:So thick you can almost chew it. Nutty with spices
Finish:Longer than a frait train. I remember laying in bed at four in the morning and still been able to taste it off the night before.
Overall:At the time it was the best bourbon i had tasted

Review from deepwoodskentuckian (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2125, Created:20121111143904)
Purchased at:hub city liquor Mount Pleasent UT
Purchased for:35 US Dollars
Info on this bottle:Knob Creek Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey
Nose:sweet , alcohol ,woody
Taste:sweet then woodsy
Finish:very light alcohol bite sweet woodsy
Overall:well worth what i paid I am impressed by this bourbon

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2063, Created:20120323201914)
Purchased at:LCBO Hamilton,Ontario
Purchased for:$45.95 CDN
Info on this bottle:Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Nose:Sweet vanilla with charred oak...Fruity..
Taste:Vanilla/caramel with spicey oak...The fruitiness from the nose is lamost not here at all.There is the "yeastyness" that Beam whiskey is famous for...
Finish:The oak lingers and takes over from the fading sweetness of the vanilla and caramel.It's moderately long but not never ending...
Overall:This is very good whiskey.Not as sweet or full of caramel flavour,like Old Forester,but it is simply solid all the way through!Not overly sweet,not overly dry...Worth the effort!

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2018, Created:20111225155206, Updated:20111228184628)
Purchased at:Layton, UT
Purchased for:$33 750ml
Nose:Very nice deep golden amber color.

Vanilla, oaky, slightly spiced, with some caramel notes.
Taste:Full Body, Very nice oak notes, sweet, with some nice spicyness.
Finish:Very nice, slightly dry and still oaky, with some sweetness. Kick ASS finish!
Overall:A very tasty bourbon, quite different than Gentleman Jack (my first). Highly recommended, worth the price.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1872, Created:20100907161818) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Purchased for:Low $30s
Nose:Vanilla, nuts, dried hay, rye, yeast, oak, and a slight amount of barrel char provide an excellent bourbon nose.
Taste:Excellent thick and deeply sweet opening that spills over into a spicy/cinnamony/yeasty/peppery mid-palate zest. The spicy glow trails off toward the back but does not wipe out the sweetness. Balanced, robust, and rich. A shade of oak walks its way through to hold the lot together.
Finish:Moderate and lively.
Overall:Just good bourbon...........very good bourbon!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1615, Created:20090630074639, Updated:20090630075033) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Toronto
Purchased for:around $45
Info on this bottle:Standard current
Nose:Light nose of roasted peanuts, some elegant florals, cured alcohol (maybe light creosote)
Taste:Rich-bodied, sweet, with evenly distributed flavours of medium-roasted nuts, mild grains, wood, rose-like florals. Little charred flavour in evidence, it works in the background to knit together the other flavours.
Finish:Refined, good length, hardly showing its proof
Overall:Very good - at its best, Knob Creek is top drawer. I like it as in this sample, where the pungent Beam yeasty-like character (which may be rye grains in action, or some other effect) is moderated or aged out.

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1611, Created:20090623062052)
Purchased at:Virginia ABC
Purchased for:32.95
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Corn sweetness, leather and lite brown sugar
Taste:Sweetness with a good amount of pepper and hints of soft fruits
Finish:Nice finish, the alcohol disappears fast leaving a sweet and spicy tang in the mouth. The finish stays in the front of the mouth not reaching the throat.
Overall:With all the sweetness from the nose the taste kind of disappoints in the fact that the sweetness is not there like expected. A good bourbon and one that is available everywhere.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1499, Created:20090223172225)
Purchased at:NH
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:Knob Creek (375ml)
Nose:This is an unusual bottle of KC. Browner. more chestnut in color. it's taking longer to open and showing great caramel-apples and brown sugar. A slight perfume, younger wood.
Taste:Clove, vanilla, and big heat. Perhaps the hottest KC I've ever had to date, less round than the last 50ml tasting but flavorful. Explosive attack. Candy Corn. Lean...
Finish:Not as long a the last. Quick to drop on flavor with lasting heat to the surrounding areas and upper palette.
Overall:I'll give this some time to air and get back to it. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1487, Created:20090215184053)
Purchased at:NH
Purchased for:$3.29 50ml
Info on this bottle:Knob Creek #L82531493CLL
Nose:Deep, rich, thick layers, flowers meet spice, violets, with a perfumed quality.
Taste:Exceptionally smooth along with more viscosity than usual. Thick. Good honey tones and good grain. Nothing sharp. Soft yet firm with mid-palette sustenance... you wouldn't think it was a 100 Proofer.
Finish:Medium.
Overall:Possibly the best KC I've ever had. Soft and well integrated flavors, layered. I'd buy this anytime, it's top shelf. Too good for ice... drank it neat in a Glencairn. High quality pour... BB

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1483, Created:20090211193703)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$15 for 375 ml
Info on this bottle:Knob Creek KY Straight Bourbon Whiskey Small Batch
Nose:Oak, vanilla, rye, barrel char, caramel, corn, and clover provide an excellent bourbon nose that is rich in aromas. Alcohol is suitably subdued.
Taste:Thick, rich, corny sweetness with a slight, and very nice, oaky dryness nipping at the edges. The rye spice slides in toward the back with a bite of cinnamon and some allspice and mint. Excellent taste, balance, and complexity.........not really subtle, but not suffering from it.
Finish:Moderate in length with the sweetness holding on (as it should) and maintaining a counterpoint to the spice.
Overall:An excellent whiskey, well worth the cost! Some folks, for various reasons, discount Beam bourbons...........not me!

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1131, Created:20080612001718) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cape Cod
Purchased for:$3
Info on this bottle:Knob Creek 50ml Nip (glass)
Nose:Thick caramel, orange peel, leathery, some citrus, a slight herbaceous note, balanced tones with nothing overpowering.
Taste:Good Wood. Some good complexity. Integrated.
Finish:Lean and not too long, subtle. Lots of leather left in the glass with the slightest hint of Butterscotch Caramel.
Overall:Never thought I would ever write in a posting for a Knob Creek Nip, but this particular 50ml bottle blows away any KC I have ever had, including the 750ml I have on the shelf in the line-up. Amazing KC!!! Go figure... I would buy this all the time. It's the Best of Beam.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 882, Created:20071104142057)
Purchased at:San Diego Airport
Purchased for:9.00
Nose:Orange, light mint, vannilla, with a very light touch of leather
Taste:Nice burn with orange and leather
Finish:0-15 secs was lighter than expected. Moved right into citrus
15-30 secs faded to soft leather with the citrus almost gone
30-45 seconds near nothing to report
Overall:Lacked the depth I remembered from previous drinks. I have a bottle at home I will have to try.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 824, Created:20070822125513)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop Conyers, GA
Purchased for:comp
Info on this bottle:50 ml
Nose:Corn, vanilla, rye, nuts, and a slight whiff of wood and char. As it opens up, I get more nuts and leather, but none of the citrus that I was expecting. I also pick up a bit of mild spice, something like nutmeg. A very nice nose, but not extraordinary.
Taste:A sweet corny entry that has some weight and viscousity to it, with a shade of citrus in the taste. There is a combination pepper and alcohol burn at mid-palate. A very nice bourbon taste, but not extraordinary.
Finish:This particular incarnation of KC finishes rather quickly, a decent finish, but not extraordinary.
Overall:It seems to me that I have had better KC. It is a better than good bourbon, but not extraordinary. In my opinion, it pales in every way compared to Baker's..........but then, so do most other bourbons!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 730, Created:20070320143318, Updated:20070320144200)
Purchased at:Ontario
Purchased for:$40 (CAN)
Info on this bottle:Standard bottling
Nose:Deep, rounded nose of roasted peanuts, old flowers/old books, alcohol, something mellow and "creamy", too.
Taste:Full-bodied, clean, sweet, tangy, with the flowers and mint in the background
Finish:Kind of tingly on the palate (the proof, probably), some char and tannic oak, but a little thin and incomplete.
Overall:Very good. Better than the last KC I reviewed. This one has more depth and savour. It isn't as well-knitted as it could be (I am sure some batches or minglings are) but is very good indeed. I also like its semi-reddish colour. What I find fascinating is the trademark Beam "funk/licorice" is completely absent or almost so. There is the faintest hint of it but well-buried. This shows this flavour can be aged out in Beam whiskey, to the profit of the marque IMO.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 692, Created:20070123050021, Updated:20070123050854)
Purchased at:LCBO, Ontario
Purchased for:$40.00 (CAN)
Info on this bottle:current offering
Nose:Light, very light aged violets (that I didn't notice earlier in the week), mild caramel/vanillin
Taste:Medium-bodied, quite dry (both from drying oak as Mike put it earlier and the specific small grains or Beam yeast), something a little "chemical" which I notice in all Beam products to a greater or lesser degree, it might be a mash characteristic
Finish:Quite clean, very little char.
Overall:To me, and I might be completely wrong, I get the taste of a bourbon aged in a well-insulated, large, "clean" warehouse. My sense is this bourbon, when first released many years ago, was sweeter and richer and had less of the modern Beam signature then.

Review from warhawk (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 685, Created:20070114234935)
Purchased at:Target, Omaha NE.
Purchased for:18
Info on this bottle:Nothing Unique
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:nutty, oak?
Taste:I pushed this aside for the premium bourbons but the intrigue of the taste keeps me popping the cork on this one. This bourbon has a lot of personality. My favorite mid level.
Finish:punchy and flavorful
Overall:again, for mass produced whiskey, pretty darned good! A- I can't believe Jim Beam (which I hate) makes this stuff!

Review from daniel (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 645, Created:20061117140124) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Bag N Save, Omaha, NE
Purchased for:$20
Nose:Strong, sweet, satisfying.
Taste:Sweet and smooth.
Finish:Very clean.
Overall:Best of the mid shelf bourbons I have tried. This is one with good, strong flavor for mixed drinks and great straight. A good buy.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 617, Created:20061025130210)
Purchased for:comp
Info on this bottle:50 ml
Nose:A classic bourbon nose with all the trimmings........vanilla, oak, corn, buttler, rye, oranges, caramel, maple syrup. nuts, leather.........the real thing!
Taste:Sweet and spice joining hands as they waltz across your mouth trailing a bit of orange tang. A wonderful viscous mouthfeel that is just over into the spicy side of hearty.
Finish:A long spicy finish that is all bourbon. It gets your attention as it goes down the gullet.
Overall:Robust, balanced, rich...................a high quality product all the way. I used to think Booker's was Beam's best (and, it is good), but I now prefer the lower alcohol Knob Creek. KC is a worthy bourbon in anybody's cabinet. I bet Tom Mix (you don't know who he was, do you?) would drink Knob Creek!!

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 538, Created:20060718122742)
Purchased for:$28
Nose:A nose that begs for time and teases. As it opens in the glass KC yields its treasure of citrus, caramel, light brown sugar, fine leather, and hay. A faint skosh of oak creeps out to make the game even more interesting.
Taste:An overall sweet corn taste washes over the mouth. A very mild pepper and spice combo appear toward the back of the mouth.
Finish:A short to moderate finish that is very pleasant.........is this a 100 proof whiskey?
Overall:A very good bourbon with no serious flaws. It has a nice nose, good flavor, a decent finish and is worth what you pay for it.......................and yet.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 409, Created:20060318071158)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:8.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Corn and vanilla/caramel (creme' brule) with a little mint spice and oak char.
Taste:Caramel and oak wood with a little peppery spice and alcohol heat.
Finish:Dry oak tannins with a little sweet caramel.
Overall:Nice neat but also good for a manhattan.

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 311, Created:20051120195335)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:26.99
Info on this bottle:Sherlock's, Marietta, GA
Nose:A nice mix b/t vanilla and caramel on this on, tempered by a hint of oak. The bouquet is sweet, almost candied.
Taste:The nose is almost deceiving. I thought this was going to be very sweet. It's not overly sweet. In fact, I think it's rather complex. There's a heavy dose of rye here, the burn makes for that "real bourbon" taste ya look for. The oak is subtle and this is a spicey bourbon.
Finish:The burn is not so bad. Wet leather seems to come out most in the finish. This is a nice medium bodied bourbon toward the end.
Overall:You can't go wrong with this bottle. It's affordable and it's quite good. I often stay away from the hype machine bourbons, but this one sells well 1) b/c it's got HUGE financial push behind its marketing and 2) b/c bourbon drinkers know its good. I say get on the bandwagon. This is a nice bourbon to bring a newbie into the fold.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 175)
Purchased at:Given to me at a bourbon function
Info on this bottle:50 ml bottle
Nose:Corn with a hint of dark fruit - apricots with some oak lurking in the background.
Taste:Corn sweetness and vanilla with apricot fruit with some spicey cinnamon. There is a bit of fire in the mouth but it quickly dissappears in the throat. The fire leaves behind a smokey oak tannin that leads into the finish.
Finish:Dry oak tannins with a little sweet apricot and spice. What is suprising is the lack of vanilla or caramel in the taste or finish.
Overall:A very good bourbon for many uses. It has flavor enough for cooking and using in an old fashioned cocktail or Manhattan, but can easily be enjoyed as a drink with dinner neat.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 143)
Purchased for:$28
Nose:Subtle, gives the nose time. Corn sweetness, clover, freshly sliced non citrus fruit, touch of vanilla, but surprisingly, no wood. This bourbon is a delight to smell.
Taste:Corn and vanilla sweetness that is just right, not cloying. A hint of pepper that emerges just at the right moment to offer a surprise. You think you ate an apple a few minutes ago and believe its flavor is still trying to assert itself.
Finish:I would describe the finish as moderately long. It lingers, but not powerfully. Alcohol is there to be sure, but so are other flavor components. There remains a touch of the corn sweetness.
Overall:You are not playing 'go fish' with Knob Creek. You are playing 'poker'. Your senses and skills as a discriminating bourbon drinker are fully engaged. My opinion of this bourbon is that the novice bourbon drinker will know this is better than most, but the advanced drinker will know he is in his element. I will say this about Knob Creek, "If it ain't on yo top shelf, pick it up and move it there where it belongs.' This stuff is one of the best reasons to drink boubon. Don't underestimate it!!

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 135) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Virginia ABC Store #338 - Waynesboro, Virginia
Purchased for:$27 per 750ml flask
Nose:Great deep amber with glinting gold highlights.

Vanilla and sweet char topnotes rush up your nostrils. Candied apples; oak, and a hint of pears are layered complexly - a bit perfumey with a splash of water.
Taste:The tip and sides of the tongue tingle with oak and proof with a goodly amount of corn and vanilla sweetness. Not much of the candy or fruit carries over from the nose and is rather indistinct.
Finish:An explosive attack (not unlike Booker's but nowhere near the heat) with a reasonable sustain and drying oaken decay. Nothing new arrives. The party is over and the revelers stumble home.
Overall:Knob Creek is a party in a bottle, and it has soul by the train load. Excellent overall nose; flavor, and finish make this the number one selling small batch Bourbon. Be careful, as it will make you dance your pants off! Highly Reccomended.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews