Bottling NameJim Beam Black
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age8
Views (since 20080612) 139148
Bottling Info

Review from Augmister (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2309, Created:20141002213209) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Haxton's
Purchased for:$25.99
Info on this bottle:Jim Beam Black 1.75 8 Yr. Old
Nose:Butterscotch and Vanilla w/hint of spice/oak
Taste:Bites the tongue and lips with a quick alcohol burn Smoky and Oaky All sense of sweetness in the nose is gone
Finish:Long smooth finish Some of the vanilla and butterscotch comes back Lingering flavor which needs to be regenerated with a second sip
Overall:@25.99/1.75 this was a steal and bought three bottles. My current everyday pour. Started with the white and when ready for something with less burn and bite, found this sitting next to the white on the store shelve. The "8" caught my attention so I figured it had to be smoother and richer than the white. Yup. This is nothing fancy and just a nice bourbon for a weeknight nightcap. I understand the "8" is coming off the bottle to be replaced by a mystery age...perhaps why it was purchased at such a great price point. Shuddah bought a case...

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from dave5422 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2293, Created:20140118202630)
Purchased at:celebrations
Purchased for:$25.99
Info on this bottle:jim beam black label
Nose:nice caramel then oak with a hint of vanilla and spice
Taste:the spice-pepper hits first then the heavier caramel and oak at the back of the tongue with a hint of sweet fruit
Finish:rather quick finish but good lingering of oak and caramel
Overall:never really a fan of the white label, however this offering is far and away more pronounced with flavor and body. very nice feel on the tongue. a very good spirit for the price so it will maintain a space on my shelf

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2245, Created:20130916165056)
Purchased at:Layton, State Liquor Store
Purchased for:$24 750ml
Info on this bottle:Double Aged
Nose:Nice dark golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla note, caramel, nice oaky scent, spicy.
Taste:Sweet on the lips, very nice oak note, spicy.
Finish:Lasts pretty long, with a dry finish. Pretty smooth.
Overall:A very nice bourbon for the price, would recommend.

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2223, Created:20130728001341)
Purchased at:Mega Liquor Warehouse Hemet, Ca
Purchased for:$11.50 on sale
Nose:Sweet corn scent with hints of vanilla and caramel
Taste:Nice peppery spice from the rye with sweet corn and vanilla. More complexity than white label. Nice similarities to Knob Creek.
Finish:Nice lingering oak finish leaves you wanting more
Overall:Overall a fine Bourbon, nice addition for the whiskey enthusiast. If you like Knob Creek you will like JB Black. Do not compare to white label, this has a nicer full flavor complexity to it.

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2184, Created:20130413175550)
Purchased at:Layton, State Liquor Store
Purchased for:$18 750ml
Nose:Nice dark golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla note, caramel, nice oaky scent, spicy.
Taste:Sweet on the lips, very nice oak note, spicy.
Finish:Lasts pretty long, with a dry finish. Pretty smooth.
Overall:A very nice bourbon for the price, would recommend.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2083, Created:20120614165732, Updated:20120614165849)
Purchased at:Who can say?
Purchased for:Can't recall
Info on this bottle:Made in Beamville
Nose:Corn, vanilla, oak open Beam Black's taste gambit. A whif of rye makes its move, moderated by some caramel and brown sugar. A very nice bourbonic nose with some alcohol wafting up as a reminder that this is wanna be Big Boy Bourbon........
Taste:Hearty, thick sweetness plays a mellow tune on the tongue before yielding to some soft spice. A bit of corn, a bit of brown sugar, a bit of maple syrup, a bit of oak precede the gingery rye bite...... not too soft, not too hard.
Finish:A nice moderately long finish of a piece with the Beam Black sipping experience.
Overall:I ain't had nare sip of Beam Black in most on to over 4 years now. You can't go wrong with this bourbon, it is an excellent middle of the road bourbon with no flaws and many fine qualities. Cranks my tractor, but won't pull no heavy load, nor make me leave the tractor to dance. This Big Boy Bourbon, while certainly good, ain't (in my opinion) Knob Creek.......... and I don't 'speck it was ever intended to be, do you? Just the thing for many folks, but I will probably let it rest another 4 years or so before getting some more.

Review from Rickdaddy (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2051, Created:20120225021647)
Purchased at:topeka ks
Purchased for:22
Nose:Strong Alcohol smell at first. But gets better quickly. Slightly sweet, not too complex.
Taste:This is a straight forward Bourbon. A little caramel a hint of vanilla simple Good flavor not harsh at all. I have drank more of this than any other. It is my go to everyday drink.
Finish:Crisp finish with no linger to it. A little bite at the end but not much.
Overall:this is my every day drink it's what I will break out for my friends at a card game. I find it much smother than JD black (although I liked the original 90 proof JD more). Overall a good value. I have tried woodford reserve, Knob Creek, Bookers, Jefferson Reserve, Basil Hayden I keep going back to My Beam

Review from robchess66 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2040, Created:20120203230244)
Purchased at:Hy-Vee
Purchased for:19
Nose:Caramel, honey
Taste:Very strong alcohol, then a nasty cough syrup flavor.
Finish:Cough syrup
Overall:I poured it out. I tried to like it 5 or 6 times. I hated it every time. With all the other reviews, I would guess that my batch was bad, though it will be a very long time before I purchase another bottle.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1992, Created:20111005174444) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cape Cod January 2011
Purchased for:$29
Info on this bottle:Distillers Series 7 Years
Nose:[shot glass] Sandy. Good leather... Reidel XO = Complex, herbaceous, caramel, incense like, mellow fruit, grass, spice, grain, lavender, powdery, butter caramel, mushroom, dusty old corn, old books, old barn clapboards, light oak, enough perfume in the mids to keep you guessing. Mellow ripe brown fruit medley and citrus.
Taste:Allspice at the top, smooth, round, buttery, edgy, rolling down to a honey like trance and holding. Midrange beauty. Front teeth. Butter, butter, butter.
Finish:2 minutes and gone. Nothing harsh or dry, succulent. lovely.
Overall:If you drink this, try it in a Reidel 4400/70 Cognac Xo. I let it air with nitro for 9 months and it evolved into a classic beauty. Good things take time...

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1991, Created:20111005170027) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cape Cod
Purchased for:99 cents!
Info on this bottle:JB Black
Nose:Allspice & Fruit.
Taste:Cinnamon, Kraft caramel, herbaceous eucalyptus, glycerin, mushroom, mellow dark syrup with a citrus edge, fruit compote, and more.
Finish:Medium. Great mouth feel.
Overall:I found an exceptional box of 50ml's [nips] that rock socks. 4-Stars BB

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1978, Created:20110701004641, Updated:20130126213844)
Purchased at:LCBO Hamilton,Ontario
Purchased for:$28.95 CDN
Info on this bottle:Jim Beam Black...Triple Aged (6 years)..Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey...I live in Canada,and I'm told that this version is the International Export version of JB Black.In the US,this Bourbon is an 8 year old version...
Nose:[Olfactory impressions]

Fairly heavy Vanilla/Caramel (in comparison to the standard Beam White Lable)...Some oak...Some spice...A tiny bit of char...Very nice!
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]

Vanilla and Caramel...Far more pronounced than standard Beam...A heavy dose of toasted oak...Spicier than White Lable...A nice burn (more of warming heat) because of the increased proof..Sweeter than White Label with the genuine Beam aftertaste...Excellent!
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]

As I said...Excellent!

Vanilla/Caramel,corn sweetness at first...Then toasted oak...Lingering spice...It's fairly lengthy ,but it's clean and crisp like it's less expensive cousin.Not complex,but definately satisfying!
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]

At this price point,I'm a huge fan of this Bourbon!This is atleast a dollar cheaper than JD Old No. 7 and simply blows that swill out of the water!It's only about a dollar more than the 80 proof Wild Turkey and it's substantially better than that WT version.I've been told that the 8 year old version of Jim Beam Black is even better than the 6 year old offering available here.I'll definately be checking that out!I guess that extra 2 years makes quite a difference...Overall,this is a very good value buy.It is'nt top shelf Bourbon,but it definately is very good for under $30.It's very flavourful if not complex...Dare I say...Jim Beam Black is a Poor Man's Woodford Reserve???

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1951, Created:20110404112452, Updated:20110702133020) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor Barn on Hurstborne, Louisville
Purchased for:$18.99
Info on this bottle:8 y/o
Nose:Sweet, a bit floral
Taste:Mainstream sort of taste. Medium viscocity, mild rye kick comes in late.
Finish:Nice finish, no bad after taste.
Overall:Nice mid grade bourbon. Anyone that likes bourbon will like this one. $18.99 isn't a bad deal, and I like this better than Jack, which obviously cost more than JBB 8y/o. Reminds me of more expensive Buffalo TRace bourbon. This stuff drinks easier than WT101; but WT101 is more fun and higher proof.

No doubt about it: Beam makes good bourbon.

Review from samsonite2101 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1898, Created:20101203174016, Updated:20101206171441)
Purchased at:Bay State Foods - Brookline, MA
Purchased for:$2
Info on this bottle:50ml, aged 8 yrs
Nose:very sweet and smooth w/ scents of caramel and something floral
Taste:as sweet and smooth as it's scent, but less complex and very little kick
Finish:expected flavor lingers, nothing new to note
Overall:the most powerful thing about this bourbon is the scent... the taste is simple and sweet. Good neat or w/ little ice so it doesn't get too watered down. It's a good bourbon... nothing amazing, but goes down easy!

Review from bigfishdan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1851, Created:20100703123915, Updated:20100703124138)
Purchased at:woodmans
Purchased for:$22
Info on this bottle:aged 8 years
Nose:Light caramel, honey and spice.
Taste:Caramel, spice.
Finish:
Overall:I have been drinking regular beam for years and in the last few years began drinking the Black label. i like this much more than the regular beam. i typically mix this for pool nights at the bar. i have recently starting trying some more expensive bourbons in search of that neat drinker. got a taste of woodford recently and bought a bottle and cannot wait to open it. I will always have a place for my Jim Beam black label on my shelf for those nights i want to drink alot!!!

Review from bradlikesbrew (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1690, Created:20090914144113, Updated:20090914144815)
Purchased at:
Nose:Light caramel, honey and spice.
Taste:Caramel, corn, spice.
Finish:Warming booze.
Overall:Better than JB White, but I don't think that is a huge endorsement. It is good, simple, light bourbon. I bought some shooters to try it out and was pleasantly surprised. Looking at the price tag though, I would rather grab a bottle of something else.

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1469, Created:20090207160414, Updated:20090208095519)
Purchased at:PLCB store in Media
Purchased for:on sale for $18.99
Info on this bottle:BLACK, metal screwtop (not plastic as pictured)
Nose:sweet-n-sour caramel and, i admit, something banana-ish (i don't mind); also, a hint of something floral, but i admit the 86 proof can't hold it up high to my nose...yet, i do catch alcohol waves that carry little burn...little daggers of yeast and fresh corn stalk
Taste:not thin. last night, as i opened and tasted it, it seemed to have this heavy yeasty/sour sense...something i really like alot. i still catch it now, but there is a truly, almost perfect blend of mellow sweetness and sassy sourness. i don't know what to compare this to other than...it's JB white with a tux on...hmmm. it really is what it is and doesn't try to be more than that. no fancy knob creekish label. none of that. i can see this as an everyday pour...if ONLY it were a few bucks LESS! i don't know, it's just about worth the asking price.
Finish:continued yeasty/sour monster mash consistency that i really respect (going from nose to taste to finish)! now granted, i am one who can take Stagg straight (but prefer it dosed down a bit to make it speak, not yell) and i like it 101 proof and above...but i really find this compares to many a 90 proof burn...it's not about pain, but balanced heat. the heat i get here after 40 seconds or so is a pleasant spiciness.
Overall:intrigued enough to choose this over the other (better whiskey) on sale (and a dollar less!), WT Rye...but glad i got it...it gets better as it goes down. wish it was 90 proof at least...but it is a charming 86! and to be honest, it's a perfectly balanced whiskey for what it is and for who made it. this isn't a fireworks whiskey. it doesn't claim to be. i've never been a summer (neat) whiskey drinker...but i am becoming one...i think this might be an easy late summer/early fall sip.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1254, Created:20080821022526) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Purchased for:$2 = 50ml
Info on this bottle:Jim Beam Black - 8 Years
Nose:Good wood. Honey and Oak. Earth. Corn. Some real depth and good legs.
Taste:Creamy. Pleasant. Good viscosity. Honeysuckle? Bee Pollen. Straw-like, cut Hay. Although, not at all grassy. A very light scent of Lavender comes through... nice.
Finish:Moderately long. A good sense of dryness... comforting and smooth. It doesn't leave you parched while standing in the middle of Yuma AZ without a water bottle.
Overall:I like this enough to keep it on-hand, and it blows EC-12 out of the water. Nice bourbon. BB

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1094, Created:20080601194855)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:AA flight to the UK, 50 ml
Nose:Vanilla, leather, corn, very light in general
Taste:Leather, some mint, vanilla... smoth .. no real burn
Finish:The finish continues with some mint and just has a soothing finish to it... light vanila and corn. Diffrent than the other beams I have had
Overall:I could see a bottle of this on teh shelf for a simple light bourbon.

Review from Luv2ryd2002 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1064, Created:20080411212635)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:Dont remember
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Decent Oak aroma
Taste:good taste. moderate oak flavor, can taste the alcohol
Finish:nice prolonged taste after the swallow
Overall:Middle shelf. Ive had this bottle at my girlfriends for a couple of months. Ill try something different when this runs out but wouldnt hesitate to get this again some day

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 940, Created:20071212140631)
Purchased at:Roadside boiled peanut stand - bootleg bourbon
Purchased for:a one-legged chicken
Info on this bottle:200 ml bottle
Nose:A heavy jolt of rye, barrel char, and alcohol on first nosing. The nose seems on first approach to say that this is a 100+ proof bourbon. A couple of minutes in the glass, the nose grows much richer with corn, leather, some pecans, and, to borrow from Saint Bunghole, toasted marshmellows. The alcohol still remains and the aromas are not able to work themselves completely free of it.
Taste:Corny sweetness and an earthy oaky taste that is slightly reminescent of turnips!. There is a moderately rich mouthfeel that totes the flavors on their appointed rounds. There is a dose of rye spice that, like the rest of this bourbon's flavors, is understated to my palate.
Finish:The finish is neither short, nor is it long. It is respectable.
Overall:A decent and 'good' bourbon in my opinion, but not one that takes me toward cowboy song territory. I wanted to like it more than I did.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 741, Created:20070407153757, Updated:20070409124646) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:50 ml gift
Nose:Robustness that takes time to unfold. I sniffed it, was disappointed, then had to leave for a few moments (saw my dog in my truck cutting doughnuts in my pasture), which proved to be fortuitous for the Beam as it opened up nicely in the glass as I chased the damn dog round and round. Nice aromas of rye, oak, char, vanilla, nuts, and straw, all humming a little bourbon ditty. Yo nose and yo ears aren't that far from each one another, now are they?
Taste:Crackerjack! No, silly, it don't taste like CrackerJacks, it is a crackerjack bourbon. Sweetness and spice play footsie in your mouth. The corn sweetness, the rye, and the moderate alcohol bounce around in your taster in a nice lively way.
Finish:A moderate to long finish that is quite satisfying. Eighty six proof bourbons can be allowed to stay up late with the big folks sometimes.
Overall:Just out of the bottle, I thought it was going to be a poor bourbon. I was composing a funeral speech in which I was thinking very hard for good things to say given that I have found this to be a very respectable bourbon in the past. Enter that damn teenage dog and his tricks, and it is no longer a funeral speech but a pep rally. After a while in the glass everything came together nicely.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 540, Created:20060718133030)
Purchased for:$18
Nose:A lively nose that has a nice sweet combination of vanilla, brunt brown sugar, tinged with a slight char. There is a mild citrus aroma that adds to the complexity. She smells good!
Taste:A smooth, sophisticated, refined taste that is very balanced in its sweet/spciy mixture. While not highly viscous, it has staying power on the palate and leaves a nice taste across the whole palate.
Finish:A nice moderately long finish that is quite satisfying. All the flavors play for a while.
Overall:An excellent bourbon that you would be glad to take anywhere. She is quite good and if she were the only bourbon in town, you could hardly claim that you were bourbonally abandoned!

Review from BourbonSteve (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 488, Created:20060426163114)
Purchased at:Beverage world, marietta,Ga
Purchased for:$21
Nose:Caramel gives way to some vanilla and toffee bits. Leather.
Taste:medium bodied, easy going in. Lots of texture here...............well balanced with smoky sweet tones. I detect apple, pepper, some heat to be sure but it's also smooth.
Finish:This one seems to linger longer on the tongue. Smooth, long finish. No burn to speak of. Clean.
Overall:A great bourbon for the price. As good as most other, pricier small batch products. This makes for a great "everyday pour." Impressive.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 403, Created:20060318064808)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Corn, vanilla and oak with a little honey in the background.
Taste:Candy corn caramel with a little pepper spice and oak - very clean and smooth.
Finish:Long and satisfying - Vanilla and spice with a hint of oak dryness.
Overall:Very good neat or in a fine cocktail such as an old fashioned or manhattan.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 366, Created:20060311065048)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Corn with pepper spice and oak.
Taste:Sweet corn and vanilla with a hint of pepper.
Finish:Caramel with a hint of oak.
Overall:Nice clean bourbon to drink neat. Makes a good old fashioned or manhattan.

Review from mike stark (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 356, Created:20060222142107)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn Louisville, Kentucky
Purchased for:18
Info on this bottle:Jim Beam Black
Nose:Quite surprising actually. Let breathe for a few minutes. Peppery without choking you. Another true Kentucky bourbon.
Taste:Hot and spicy, best of all the Beam products. Stays on the tongue a good while. Hints of corn and oak, a good one just to pass around with friends.
Finish:Strong heat, just like all Beam products. Will warm your tummy right up.
Overall:Very good bourbon. I rank this with Buffalo Trace and some of the Wild Turkey 80 proof. Not too smoothe, not too harsh.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 181)
Nose:A pleasant nose with a bit of vanilla, nuts, straw, and corn. I miss the oak........
Taste:A very nice up front sweet corn and honey flavor that coats the rest of the mouth. Not a lot of complexity or explosion of flavors, but no serious flaws either
Finish:The finish is smooth, moderate, and nice, but somewhat lacking in character.
Overall:A better than good bourbon, and one you can enjoy. But it is not one I am going to call my bourbon loving friends in to taste. For me, I will spend a bit more to get something better. If I keep any, it will go on my middle shelf.

Opinion only: Old Grand Dad is as good or better for about the same money.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 154)
Purchased at:Farnsley-Kaufman Auction (Bottle Autographed by Jerry Dalton)
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liqor store
Nose:Sweet corn and caramel with a hint of honeysuckle blossom.
Taste:Corn and vanilla with a bit of spicey cinnamon and oak. Mouth feel is a bit oily and there is some warmth in the throat.
Finish:Oak tannins with a hint of cinnamon spice and vanilla, lingering for several minutes.
Overall:A good product. I think I like this bourbon better than any of their small batch products.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 66)
Purchased at:VA
Info on this bottle:8 years old
Nose:Deep Amber With Rich Ruby Highlights.

Well balanced and complex nose of honeyed charred barrel tones; candy corn, violets, and some smokey something - not soot - maybe toasted marshmellows. I'm not sure.
Taste:Straight forward Beam Bourbon flavor. Not as complex as the nose, rich in a foxy yeasty/vanillia with non-descript candy tones. If there is anything that is a malted cotton candy then that is what Beam Black might taste like. Smokey. Is Beam buying slightly/lightly peated malt from Scottish malthoues? Sure tastes like it. Maybe it's the yeast.
Finish:This is the best part of this expression of Jim Beam's whiskey! Nice lingering finish of respectable length. Great depth of flavor keeps on going, but nothing new arrives. Needs no chaser - just another sip. Clean and clear, but not apple crisp. A decent enough finish but nowhere near the best.
Overall:Beam Black has been called both "The Poor Man's Booker's" and also "The Poor Man's Knob Creek". At $18 a bottle the truely poor man cannot afford it. Face it - ALL Beam Bourbon is overpriced in my opinion. I don't drink as much of it as I would like, but that is their fault. I like it, but only buy it as a splurge. Like an old friend that has moved far away - Beam Bourbon has priced itself out of my market. I'd like to visit more often, but the expense has become too dear.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews