Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJack Daniels Single Barrel
Bottled ByJack Daniel Distillery Lynchburg,TN
TypeTN Whiskey
Alcohol content94 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 63621
Bottling Info

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2312, Created:20141018170954, Updated:20141018173115) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Hyannis MA
Purchased for:$49
Info on this bottle:JDSB L-08 13-2673 Bottled on 5-3-2013
Proof Of this Bottle:94
Nose:Sandy upon opening, salted peanuts, light fruit off the top. The color is tremendous, golden amber. Super tight, needs time to open...
Taste:Parfait of flavor coming to a medium to slow delayed burn. Toffee, loads of orange peel, opening to pineapple and apricot. Symmetrical legs, medium to slow drip. Reminiscent of older bottles from 2008-09 yet a tad lighter. Dry oak without the char.
Finish:Comes to a bone dry finish leaving a slight after taste, sandy.
Overall:I give it 4-Stars. I have had better and I have had worse. Salted Peanuts and Toffee with an easy going mouthfeel and lengthy burn. Ultimately, it reminds me of very old Gentlemen Jack... good! Not overly complex, rather simple, elegant, give it 30 minutes to open. I'm going back for another??? BB

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2214, Created:20130705213603)
Purchased at:Mega Liquor Warehouse - Hemet, Ca
Purchased for:$45
Info on this bottle:Rick No. L-07 Barrel No. 10-1589 Bottled 4-6-10
Nose:Smoke, Oak, caramel and vanilla, light hints of fruit
Taste:Peppery, caramel, vanilla, oak, smoke, little bite
Finish:Very nice smooth sweet finish
Overall:Everyone always puts down Jack. This is an excellent whiskey, one of my favorites.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2191, Created:20130426084415, Updated:20130426235729)
Purchased at:Australia
Purchased for:$85AU
Info on this bottle:12-3973. 1-13-12.
Nose:Sweet Cherry Cola. Sweet confectionery.
Taste:Actually too Smooth. Tingles front of mouth. Taste of Icing Sugar, Creamy White Pepper and Cinnamon. Shallow after. Nothing grips or explodes. No noticable alcohol burn in single. Not robust like No 7.
Finish:Stays at the front of mouth and wood in the stomach. Something went missing in between!
Overall:Mixxing made no difference in ginger ale or cola. But leaving in Gingle Ale over night Single became like a Sappy Red Gum Tree. Nice. Had a slight grip a sap to it! Dickel Select is way superior. I think No 7 is better and has a more pronouced dry charcoal rush to it. Shame it can be a tad flabby in too many bottles. JD has these Gold Medal versions in cool bottles. Wonder what there like?

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2172, Created:20130328154228, Updated:20130328154431) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Toronto
Purchased for:Circa $50
Info on this bottle:Rick No. L-15, Barrel 12-6714, bottled 12/1/12
Nose:Light alcohol/woodsy scent, similar to many bourbons
Taste:Lightly sweet and with zero banana taste. Very mellow and elegant taste despite the high proof. Perhaps a light orange zest background. Very bourbon-like again.
Finish:Drying, light creosote, some sugars
Overall:An extremely good iteration of Jack SB. The color is very light and I bought it for that reason, just to see what a light-coloured whiskey would taste like. The flavor is not overwhelmed by the red layer gums. Also, the characteristic JD earthy/old wood taste is completely absent from this barrel. Next up: a JD Silver Select bought in Boston, MA duty-free.

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2150, Created:20130201192929, Updated:20130201192957)
Purchased at:LCBO Stoney Creek,Ontario
Purchased for:$53.00 CDN
Info on this bottle:Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Tennessee Whiskey...Bottled on 12/01/12...Rick No.L-15...Barrel No...12-6713
Nose:A bit of charcoal (I shoulda figured..)Caramel,maple sugar,...Hints of banana's...Wood (but not just oak...I'm getting cedar also!!!..Weird!)...Overall,fairly interesting...
Taste:Sweet corn,caramel,and,prickly rye spice...Then oak and just a bit of charcoal...Thankfully,just a bit of charcoal..
Finish:Fairly smooth...It lingers nicely...The spice is notable during the lingering...The wood hangs in there the longest but so does the sweetness...Nice!!
Overall:This is pretty good stuff,all things considered.I'm usually one to say that JD Old N0.7 is basically charcoal juice flavoured paint thinner,but this is definately an upgrade!It's a little pricey,no doubt because of the name,but it's an acceptable sipper...But honestly,George Dickel simply does better Tennessee Whiskey than Jack does...

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2036, Created:20120127201215)
Purchased at:Layton, UT
Purchased for:$44 750ml
Info on this bottle:JDSB - Rick No. L-5/Barrel No. 11-5415/Bottling Date: 10-21-11
Nose:Nice dark golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla note, bananas, caramel, nice oaky scent, with some very nice spice notes.
Taste:Slightly sweet, very nice oak note, nice caramel/maple, spicy.
Finish:Medium finish, with a slight sweetness and a slightly dry finish. Pretty smooth, for a higher ABV whiskey.
Overall:A very nice looking bottle and box it came in. Definitely way better than the Black Label. I'm really enjoying this one tonight. Highly Recommended.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1908, Created:20101226153634)
Purchased at:NH
Purchased for:$40 at the time. Two years ago.
Info on this bottle:JDSB - R-17 / Barrel #8-2252 / 7-7-08
Nose:Sandy. Fruit and rind. Best in a Riedel Tulip. Dry Spices. Complex. Mellow honey tones waft through the center. A tad sweaty.
Taste:Beautiful on the palette. Rich, succulent, and a tad hotter than I expected.
Finish:Butterscotch and medium dry heat surrounding the entire palette. It lingers with a light ethanol twist. Medium length...
Overall:This is my last bottle that was purchased by a case lot of 6 and the first time I've tasted JDSB in 15 months. I was in love with this whiskey for a long time and it will be missed. Sparky, somewhat of a pungent sulfuric charcoal overtone. Yeasty. 4-Stars BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1770, Created:20091204202535) View discussion on this review.
Purchased for:$40
Info on this bottle:Rick L-09 / Barrel 8-4347 / 11-10-08
Nose:Upon opening it's beautifully deep and rich. Toffee, lavender, orange peel, and very mellow. Brown ripe fruit. Ash. Woodsy. Chestnut color, unusually brown/orange. The legs are off-the-charts. Huge beaudaceous viscosity? Sandy.
Taste:Huge. Round. Long. Very long... climbs, and climbs, climbing. Softly supple. Grain, apricot, spices... allspice. Big on texture. Leathery.
Finish:Goes on forever... the longest of long. Never had a bottle like this... and a tingling burn lasting into the minutes. Wild! Dry ending... not bone dry, but medium-to-extra dry. Lasting and lasting. Wow! Lots of apricot. Neither like a cognac, more brandy-like viscosity. It's a charmer!
Overall:Thanks to Bunghole... I went hunting for the closest rick. Big on fruit with a consistent balance. I give this 4 Stars. BB

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1762, Created:20091121145522, Updated:20091121151046)
Purchased at:LCBO, Toronto
Info on this bottle:Rick 28, barrel 9-3621 bottled August 10, 2009
Nose:Toffee like, some maple notes perhaps
Taste:A killer taste! Rounded and sweet, the wood not dominant like a couple of June bottlings I had, with the rye quite noticeable, oddly since the JD mashbill uses not that much rye. Complex creamy, flowery tangs, a big fat Jack Daniels, surely close to what old man Jack would have approved.
Finish:Long and bright, the flavour elements mingling and dancing on the palate, a happy dance.
Overall:Very, very good, probably the best Jack Single Barrel I've had and an exemplar of American straight whiskey.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1725, Created:20091015150721) View discussion on this review.
Purchased for:$4
Info on this bottle:JDSB 50ml #G5xxxx
Nose:Fruit compote. Peaches. Wine. Dried Apricot. Big, round, and brassy.
Taste:Integrated from start to finish. Like a fine brandy (not cognac), huge and vsicous.
Finish:Finished rich and round, dry around the edges.
Overall:Sweet. 4.5 Stars. A-1 Quality. One of the best I've had... BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1724, Created:20091015150058)
Info on this bottle:JDSB R-24 5/08
Nose:Baby powder and isopropyl
Taste:Hottest bottle I ever had...deemed undrinkable. Fire water.
Finish:Vapor.
Overall:Junk. Returned to NHLC.

Review from ProfessorB (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1693, Created:20090916144556) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:PLCB
Purchased for:35
Info on this bottle:Rick 27 - Barrel 9-3530 Bottling date 8-31-09
Nose:Sweet caramel with overtones of faint leather and oak. As it open the oak comes through more with hints of pear fruitiness. Well balanced.
Taste:Vanilla, caramel, wood, and some mildly sweet peppery spice at start. Mid way there is a hint of dryness - a bit like walnut. Yet it all remains pleasantly sweet.
Finish:Finish is strongest just after the mild bite starts to decay and comes across as woody, corn and caramel. Not a terribly long finish but well balanced for its duration.
Overall:I was expecting more (perhaps unfairly so). That is not to say that this isn't a good pour. It is, and I wouldn't turn down the offer of one. I've heard so many folks rave about this, that I wonder if it's more about JD having a single barrel available. I'd put it in the top third of all the bourbons I've tried.

Review from Anonymous (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1687, Created:20090912214052) View discussion on this review.
Purchased for:$50.00
Info on this bottle:New-shape bottle, bottled in June '09 Rick l-24
Nose:Much like Mike V's notes above but no banana, plus some wintergreen
Taste:Smooth and dry, the wood coming to the fore, some maple notes as well
Finish:Drying in a pleasant way
Overall:Really top-class work, this whiskey has improved some much in the last 2 years

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1683, Created:20090911183831, Updated:20090911185432) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Softly complex. An understated and subley interesting mix of complementary aromas. Char, maple, rye, leather, all sing in a chorus that is truly harmonic. Just delightful in its sophistication.
Taste:Just as harmonious as the nose foretold. Delicately balanced with sweetness that remembers the barrel, but makes a definite nod to the rye grain and its American Whiskey Bite. Better (if you can believe that!) than advertised.......the JD marketers don't have a clue how good this whiskey is, and neither (I suspect) does the average JD drinker (not that I disparage those SOBs.....some of whom I have known and felt enormously superior to........with so little justification........but such are we flawed humans...........meaning, by way of the left hand, my own sorry self).
Finish:Moderate..........did you think a delicate whiskey would have a long finish?..........surely not! Completely in keeping with its balance and sophistication.
Overall:This must go on the ARK with us last survivors as an example of the greatness of Tennessee whiskies (I did not always think this of JD Single Barrel Whiskey............but, live and learn, say I!)

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1486, Created:20090214163755) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from Mike
Purchased for:Brotherhood.
Info on this bottle:Barrel No. 8-4031 Rick No. L-06 Bottled on 10-20-08
Nose:I always like to look at the color first. In this case a nicely honey toned amber, and when held to the sun it glows with firey orange copper. In the Glencairn Glass used for this review this whiskey exhibits good coating viscosity with thin slow legs.

On the nose topnotes are; banana pudding on vanilla wafers, and candy corn. Sweet charred oak fills in the midsection. There is a fruit component that at one nosing says pears, and at the next limes. There seems to be some nutmeg deep in the mix. All-in-all this is a complex whiskey.
Taste:Mouthfeel is something I find important in the totality of whiskey enjoyment, and this whiskey does not disappoint. Soft and coating with lots of tongue tingle!

On the palate the banana pudding and vanilla wafers convey directly from the nose. Oak is diminished. Spice tones step up a notch.
Finish:It's in the finish where the finesse and complexity of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel truely shines.Excellent sustain with a slow decay. The dessert elements give way to the nutmeg and it also becomes a tad more citrus during the fade out, and to me it is limes. There is some warmth, but no real heat and no burn whatsoever. It's a very polished finish without flaw like a finely finished and highly polished facet of a gem stone.
Overall:I freely admit that I have a special love for Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Mike sent me this bottle because he thought it extraordinary, and I concur. I find it supurb in every way, and may very well be the very best bottling of this expression that I have ever tasted. I am eternally grateful to my good brother Mike from Georgia for sending me this perfect gift.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1449, Created:20090130185612, Updated:20090130195120) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$41
Info on this bottle:Rick # L-06, Barrel # 8-4031, Date 10-20-08
Nose:A bit of time in the glass reveals maple syrup, vanilla, leather, walnuts, char, oak, clover, rye, nutmeg, anise, bugglegum, light rye fruitiness, floral elements, and some indistinct organics a bit like rich loam. Complicated, rich, deep, evolving and superb.
Taste:A surprisingly sweet/corn/vanilla AND nutty/oaky AND spicy AND fruity (light sweet fruits like pears AND citrus fruits) combo that is subtle and unique in its complexity and strange balance. The rye cinnamony spice jumps in mid way through the adventure........and this is most certainly a gustatory adventure. Was this TN whiskey finished in a cognac barrel for a few months? It is quite delicate.........like a fine cognac..........and makes its way gracefully across the mouth with a lushness that is almost obscene in its Siren call........I am completely seduced......it will be a while before I go back to my wife and family!
Finish:Perfect harmony. Not too short, not too long, not too dry, not too sweet..........the lamb and the lion have lain down together, even if, as Woody Allen says, the lamb won't get much sleep.
Overall:As fine an American whiskey as ever I have had the pleasure of consuming, approaching perfection. Incroyable, mes amis! Tomorrow, I go back to the liquor store to purchase more bottles of JDSB from the same shelf in hopes that they too are from the same barrel. Ole Jack and the MD at the distillery can be more than proud of this one!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1432, Created:20090118141410, Updated:20090118195855)
Purchased for:Circa $50
Info on this bottle:August 12, 2008 bottling, from rick L-18
Nose:Flowers, some wood and char, some medicinal and yellow fruit hints
Taste:Rich and sweet, silky all the way down. Full integration of the flavors in the nose.
Finish:A little drying and puckering with wood more prominent, spices. Some pleasant charcoal decay.
Overall:Outstanding bottle of Jack Daniels! The whiskey has a full and lush quality in contrast to the more taciturn (but also fine) winter bottlings of 2008 (I had sampled various ricks, all a February 1, '08 bottling).

An American classic returned to full glory. Keep it up, B-F.

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1429, Created:20090117202501, Updated:20090117202620)
Purchased at:PLCB store in Broomall
Purchased for:3.99
Info on this bottle:50ml
Nose:alco-char; sweet notes of ripe tree fruit (the kind with pits); catching a little more intensity not expressed in GJ; dried fruit marmalade; of the above senses, they are neither overpowering nor simply subtle.

one last sniff and there's a core aroma i can't quite pin down...like smelling leather in a taffy store. ok, i like that accumulating assertion.
Taste:wow. JD that actually has a little punch of spice and verve. 94 isn't hot to me, but i admire the amped up attack. yes, SB is an individual and wants to be known that it is NOT one of the old #7 borg-bots. yes, the mentioned woody/smokey sense is there along with an almost dry (woodiness?) 'sweetness' NOT suggesting bananas, but rather grilled butterscotch somethin'...nothing thick or (quite) watery here. almost oily?
Finish:ok, there's that ghost of a banana i was paranoid about (and wanting to sense)...maybe that WAS a grilled banana with butterscotch (Brach's) melted and drizzled on it. again, i sense a nice cayenne bite. i like.

glad, though, i bought a wee bottle...
Overall:right when it hits the tongue and you inhale, there IS something i can't pin down and thus intrgues me...but then, same experience (in another universe) when JB Rye hits the same olfactory/taste matrix. this is good. very good. not sure i can say great. i think, maybe, i actually enjoyed the old bottling of 80 proof/pound weakling GJ a bit better. it was at-one-ment with its low proof. with SB, it simply needs to play the big boy game of 100 proof and up up up. i guess that's what the SSelect is...i am intrigued by JD (and dismayed i have to filter out the marketing, bottles, etc). i have spent some money here and there to educate myself on what IS good and bad whiskey. but i don't know if i will shell out $40 for a bottle of this. i'd rather spend less than half of that for a dram sitting square in the middle of the universe, i.e., Wild Turkey Rye. neither are bourbons. but one comes much closer to the real amber/straw manna that IS american whisk y!

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1413, Created:20090107171757) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gardner, MA
Info on this bottle:JDSB / R-15 / bottled 1-10-08 / Barrel #8-0142 (almost a year to date)
Nose:Upon opening it's beautiful. Creamy vanilla custard and cooked pudding aromas meet a rich pipe tobacco (Captain Black) fragrance.
Taste:Balanced to perfection. Some spice upon first tasting, with a slight orange peel and unique citrus overtone. Rare flowers meet citrus and spice. Good char... smooth and bright to the nose, once swallowed. Tingles the very tip of my tongue and mid-palette. Semi-Dry. The fruit keeps on coming after a lengthy whiff of toffee. Very unique and captivating. It sustains a very fine citrus edge off the top end. Good wood at the bottom. Less midrange.
Finish:Long and sultry. Warming... all the way around your gums. Again, it's a one-of-a kind. Doesn't have quite the viscosity or the legs of the R-17 bottling.
Overall:4 to 5-Stars. This just keeps getting better... it's like a combination of the R-17 and R-30 bottlings, vatted. It has similar characteristics, although unique unto itself. Perfectly balanced. Nothing harsh, no peanuts, no salt, no ash, little-to-no banana. Now I'm getting a perfume essence, gone. Wow! Fun bourbon. More toffee and fruit, less the caramel. This rocks without the Rock & Roll. More elegance, graceful. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1349, Created:20081111232100)
Purchased at:New Hampshire
Purchased for:$39
Info on this bottle:JDSB R-30 Barrel 8-0778 3-12-08 (NH Bike Week Anniversary Bottling)
Nose:This particular barrel is on the lighter side of JDSB and not all all robust, very delicate. Light banana (yellow) toffee in the nose. Golden butterscotch/amber color. Not overly complex or a burn to the nose, although - balanced with vanilla and oak, light spice.
Taste:Peanuts in the shell. Golden raisin. Ethanol. It features bright Scotch-like notes reminiscent to Dalwhinnie. If you like the texture of Dalwhinnie Scotch = you'll love this barrel. A light summer bourbon of fine quality with a clean extra-dry finish and little burn. A light butterscotch essence...
Finish:Extra-dry. Polished leather lingers at the very bottom of the glass.
Overall:3-Stars. I'm hoping it will further open with time. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1345, Created:20081109114231)
Purchased at:NH - 50ml (miniature)
Purchased for:$4.29
Info on this bottle:JDSB #G60648
Nose:I could assume this is an 06' version via the bottle code, but it's a guess. All three miniatures sampled G8, G7, and now G6 have been different. This G6 is not in the least impressive. Thin, hot, and unremarkable. Zero caramel, more corn and with a slight honey essence.
Taste:Burns to the 9's. Little flavor profile in comparison, somewhat astringent. Young oak and fire.
Finish:Nil. Sharp and cutting to a quick close.
Overall:Not a version I would be happy with, and fortunately it's not a 750ml bottle. There is nothing here that interests me. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1335, Created:20081031172447)
Purchased for:$4 50ml (miniature)
Info on this bottle:JDSB #G80137
Nose:Caramel, toffee, tobacco, a good dose of vanilla, some charcoal and char; fruit that is reminiscent of Pappy 15. A tad sandy, very rich and balanced. No off notes, good wood.
Taste:A mild burn, very round, full, and exceedingly rich for JDSB. The richest I've had to date. It's a friendly bourbon (more like an 80 Proofer) with a huge nose and great viscosity. Thick, huge legs. Very comforting and easy to drink for 94 Proof. Excellent.
Finish:Not as long and complex as the R-17 bottling, more linear and warming.
Overall:A favorite... very rich and silky. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1334, Created:20081031095016)
Purchased for:$39
Info on this bottle:JDSB R-17 Barrel 8-2252 on 7-7-08
Nose:Unusual legs with a fine slow drip. The color should be in the Bourbon Hall of Fame. It looks like Liquid Copper. The Nose = corn, caramel, and dry spices.
Taste:Highly complex. Initially it reminded me of Glenmorangie. Bourbon with a Scotch-like slant and Rockn'Roll Whiskey style. On second tasting it came alive, featuring the rich mouth-feel of a fine Cognac juxtaposed by Kraft caramel, apricot, dry spice, tobacco and ash. A hint of bubble gum along with a complex floral undertone began to surface with English Toffee in the background.
Finish:The finish is extremely long and again complex, clinging to the roof of your mouth for several minutes. A symphony of flavor modulating to a higher octave. This is artful bourbon with an organic sensibility. Echoes of Hirsch, Michter's, and Weller Centennial come to mind. It's a chameleon in a Tennessee Jacket. I have to say that it's outstanding.
Overall:Saddle leather, caramel, fine pipe tobacco and ash, linger at the bottom of the glass. Exceptionally long. It gives a huge delivery. Organic qualities. Outstanding and unique color. This is not for the beginner, more suited for an experienced palette. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1325, Created:20081022144129)
Purchased at:New Hampshire
Purchased for:$4 50ml
Info on this bottle:JDSB #G70892
Nose:Banana Split Sundae with Caramel Topping. An amazingly rich nose... like a fine dessert.
Taste:Creamy as in Creme Brulees with a soft burn. Very rich and satisfying. Smooth and silky, like drinking a Parfait without being overly sweet, fine balance. This particular bottle (a miniature) is sensational and the best JDSB I have ever drank.
Finish:Almost like a Saz 18 in the bouquet and finish. A great barrel.
Overall:I took it neat in a plastic Solo Cup! Incredibly full, rich, round, and toffee to the hilt. I love this bourbon and my hat comes off to the folks at JD. Incredible TN Bourbon.

BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1290, Created:20080909222828) View discussion on this review.
Purchased for:$3.50
Nose:I'm with Mike and Spun on this one. Pardon me for looking back on the archives - but the Peanut essence and residual Banana come through. Not a problem...
Taste:It's ok. Is it worth the money of a 750ml? You answer that question... I think it's a great name.
Finish:It's about stepping up to the plate - and JD needs to step up with a better Single Barrel. Period!
Overall:Step out of the show, and up to the plate! BB

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1284, Created:20080908171853) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Give to me by Jack his own self
Purchased for:Nada
Info on this bottle:50 ml bottle
Nose:The alcohol is fairly assertive........I will step back a few moments in hopes that it abates.........Now, that is more better.......vanilla, rye, and char in moderate amounts......not a lot more to this old nose.
Taste:Better than the nose offered. A dollop of sweetness that is thick, quickly balanced by hot spice. The char backs up the whole affair, but is not intrusive. There is a smidge of the JD signature off note that tweaks my palate, but I won't mark it down much for that.
Finish:Respectable and good
Overall:A nice sip of a late summer afternoon. Thanks Jack...........and me athinking you was dead!

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1003, Created:20080123151015, Updated:20080123153212)
Purchased at:Wally's WIne on line
Info on this bottle:Ducks Unlimited edition
Nose:First Scent was strong of circus peanuts... then a little char and standard JD scents...
Taste:Well, after the WT 101 bad/off bottle I had this is great... might be jaded on this one...

Very light overall... almost like water in my mouth.. no burn...
Finish:Light banana, oak, spice, full... pleasing for a JD product.
Overall:Best of the JDs I have had, but now that I drink bourbons... not one I will reach for...

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 932, Created:20071205162259, Updated:20071208060008) View discussion on this review.
Purchased for:$41.99
Nose:Charcoal, rye, vanilla, apricots, leather, and oak greet you while the alcohol prances playfull around your nostrils as if it all were a game. A nice and impressive nose that changes with even only the passage of a few moments. Of course I like it, why wouldn't I?........even though I have not had Dack Janiels Bingle Sarrel in probably 8 or 9 months.
Taste:Quite sweet upfront, with the corn giving over to some spicy rye early in the game. This particular bottle's taste does not live up to the nose, and while decent tasting does not justify its cost. It is only mediocre and is easily surpassed by many, many, less expensive bourbons.
Finish:Moderate, reasonable, engaging, but far from memorable.
Overall:I just hate to pan something that I wanted so to like, but this is in the same category (to my taste) as Basil Hayden's............it is way, way, overpriced for what you get. While it is not 'bad' whiskey, it is not one I would put forth as remotely representing the best of American Whiskey. Listen folks, while taste is certainly subjective, some whiskies just don't make the grade (cost factored in) and this one ain't there. It is NOT complex, it is NOT balanced, it is NOT interesting, it is NOT deep, it is NOT rich, it cannot pass itself off as first class whiskey. Jack Daniel does NOT produce whiskies that rank with the best, PERIOD, END OF STORY. If you want a GREAT whiskey experience, don't look here! They are about marketing, not whiskey. If you doubt me, try JDSB against any number of middle or upper shelf bourbons (e.g. Rock Hill Farms at about the same price point) and see for your own self.........the game is over quickly.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 721, Created:20070224115928)
Purchased at:Green's Liquor, Ponce De Leon Ave. Atlanta, GA
Purchased for:$4.95
Info on this bottle:50 ml bottle
Nose:Oak, vanilla, char, peaches, corn, leather, and that beautiful warm rye aroma that I happen to love so much, all are here for the start of this party. This whiskey is well dressed for the occasion. Does one 'bask' in whiskey aromas? If so, I am 'abasking', cause it is a great nose.
Taste:Candy corn comes upfront in a thick and creamy taste that is wickedly good. Toward mid-palate a measured dose of mild pepper and rye spice add more life to the party without insisting on undue attention. Very, very, good whiskey!
Finish:An understated but not short finish that seems just the right complement to the nose and taste.
Overall:A sophisticated and delightful whiskey that is simply delicious. I tried this particular expression of JDSB against a previous JDSB bottle and they are not at all alike. And, this 50 ml bottle is clearly the superior of the 1954 JD commerative that I liked before, also tasted in a side by side. I would like for other BE members to review JDSB and see what their experiences with this whiskey are like. I recommend that you try it!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 611, Created:20061021130942, Updated:20061022080909) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Guelph, Ontario
Purchased for:$40.00 +
Info on this bottle:Bottled February 2, 2006, barrel no. 6-0568.
Nose:Mostly soft wood char, some fruit and corn as well
Taste:Frankly, sensational. The mouth feel is soft, the whiskey is corn-rich and smoky but without the "banana acetone" I get in most other expressions of JD. The body is full and sweetish; very bourbon-like but refined.
Finish:Lingering and vanilla/flowery. The flavors are well-integrated, there are no harsh or obstrusive elements yet a satisfying "whiskeyness" results.
Overall:This shows that you can't generalise about a single barrel. Serendipity perhaps has resulted in a masterful bottle of whiskey, it must be the particular barrel, aging location, perhaps the time of the year it was bottled. Can it be that cold weather reorients the contents of the barrel to optimum pitch? (Maybe this is why Dickel chills year round its leaching tubs). There was one next to the bottle I bought bottled in January '06. Would it be as good as this one? I don't know, but the February 2, 06 bottling from the barrel mentioned is a winner and certainly the best JD I have ever had.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 537, Created:20060718120701) View discussion on this review.
Nose:The smokey charcoal hits the nose first, followed by corn, leather, rye, and some caramel.
Taste:The char greets the front of the mouth, then corn sweetness spreads across mid-palate. A bit of spice and pepper comes on toward the back of the mouth, along with oak dryness. The alcohol appears last and has its say.
Finish:A nice finish that lasts moderately long. The dry woody flavor takes over at the back of the mouth, but there is still a residual sweetness that is pleasant.
Overall:By my lights, a decent enough pour, but it won't win any of my prizes. Personally, I just do not find the char adding to the complexity or interest of this whiskey. I wanted the Single Barrel version of JD to perk up my taster, but alas, Dickel 12 does it better for less than half the cost. Sorry, Jack.........me and you just can't seem to be buddies like me and George are!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 400, Created:20060318063222)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:8.00
Info on this bottle:Single Barrel (5-0547 2/9/05)
Nose:Wood smoke and caramel corn with banana fruit and cinnamon spice.
Taste:Caramel and spice - pepper and cinnamon with charcoal smoke and oak wood.
Finish:Very nice - very smooth and sweet.
Overall:Nice sippin whiskey but would also make a nice manhattan.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews