Bottling NameGentleman Jack
Bottled ByJack Daniel Distillery Lynchburg,TN
TypeTN Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoTriple filtered
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 67788
Bottling InfoThe toasty, oaky, oily, smoky bouquet is fat and buttery in the first nosing pass; with further air contact deeper aromas emerge, most notably, honey, old saddle leather and walnuts. In the mouth, there???s a wide range of tantalizing flavors, including loose tobacco, raisins and coffee. The finish bites the tongue at first, then mellows into a Sherried, almondy taste. Complex, multilayered, and luscious.

- Paul Pacult
Events for this bottling:

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2206, Created:20130704175606)
Purchased at:Mega Liquor Warehouse
Purchased for:$20
Nose:Smokey oak, a little rye spice, slight caramel and bananas
Taste:Easy to drink, tastes as it smells, you get the oak, spice, caramel, and fruits with a little bit of corn. Very little bite.
Finish:Short finish, does not linger long, not much of a bite, a little lingering of the corn.
Overall:I was not impressed the first time I tried this (a couple of years ago). I decided to give it another shot and was glad I did. People bash JD but they have grown on me. I think this is a very nice, mellow whiskey. Very good for some one just venturing into whiskey. Don't go in to this thinking it will be like a bourbon, This is not a bourbon and they are not trying to be one.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2022, Created:20111230193309, Updated:20111230193350)
Purchased at:Layton, UT
Purchased for:$15 375ml (Flask Style)
Nose:Nice golden color.

This one is quite different than anymore bourbon/whiskey I've had to date. Hard to put my finger on it. Slight vanilla, pretty spicy, slightly oaky.
Taste:The taste is kinda sweet, spicy, with some nice oak notes, caramel.
Finish:Medium Body, pretty smooth for an 80 proof brew. Slightly dry finish.
Overall:This one goes down pretty easy. Would recommend for someone just starting off.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1999, Created:20111005195340)
Purchased at:Cape Cod [rare]
Info on this bottle:Gentleman Jack tagged 1996
Nose:Light corn, heather, hay, honeysuckle, golden, light, and brassy.
Taste:Best I ever had. Round, beautiful. Viscous. Smooth as silk.
Finish:Medium long to dry.
Overall:5-Stars. ***** BB

Review from LeCarre (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1966, Created:20110601163552, Updated:20110601173100) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Total Wine
Purchased for:$2
Info on this bottle:50 ml taster
Nose:Sweet with a ghost of JD7 resin. As I dislike the full-bore resin aroma, this is a good thing.
Taste:Sweet and mellow like a Canadian whiskey. Light in body and taste.
Finish:Short clean sweet finish.
Overall:Jim Murray called this the cleanest whiskey. I must agree. This is whiskey as vodka. As drinkable as light beer. Don't have sweet tea, have a few of these. Clean, sweet, bland, inoffensive. Dangerously quaffable.

The opposite of some of my favorites like OGD 114, Bulleit and Knob Creek.

Extremely light. I want more flavor in a whiskey that costs more than $20 a bottle. Maybe it's a perfect summer mixing whiskey.

Review from smallfrenchman (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1921, Created:20110131194934)
Purchased at:Local Liquor store
Purchased for:9.50 (for a trio - JD7, JDSB, GJ)
Info on this bottle:Small 50ml gift set bottle
Nose:Odd notes for a Jack Daniel's offering... I expected more... moreness... if you get what I mean. Not bad, just a bit odd for something that normally has so much character right off the nose.
Taste:I was confused and bemused. I didn't really know what I thought of it. As reviewed above, this is most definitely not trying to be another Jack Daniels. Flowery, fruity, missing the bit of bite that I like so much out of a Jack.
Finish:Lasting impression left some grain (a plus in my book), and some flowery notes. I'm still not too sure how I feel about it.
Overall:If you expect Jack Daniels in some form, you will probably be surprised. I don't dislike it, I just don't really have a great handle on what I just tasted. It was good enough, but for the price on a full 750 here in OH ($31) I'd rather have something different.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1910, Created:20101226162125) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:MA
Purchased for:$28
Info on this bottle:Gentleman Jack - Tagged 1996 - Vintage Bottle - Rare Find
Nose:Perfectly balanced. Banana toffee, allspice, and fresh cut hay. Round and simply outstanding. Bright yet not sharp, mellowed.
Taste:Oh baby baby... this has huge legs, rich, thick, viscous, buttery, along with a lot of depth for a little 80 proofer. It has all the great JD characteristics and by far the best Gent Jack I've ever tasted. Christmas Candy!
Finish:Lengthy... long. Comfortable soft burn. Sugar candy with buttery pineapple and spice. Evergreens and soft leather at the very bottom of the glass.
Overall:An unusually fine whiskey. Such a find... Five Stars ***** BB

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1477, Created:20090209184740, Updated:20090209185104)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:A blend (personal) of Gentleman Jack and (3) JDSBs, perhaps about 90 proof
Nose:Candied plaintain as Azoth mentioned with deeper notes perhaps of seasoned oak, some alcohol twanging away there.
Taste:First, the texture: smooth and soft as rainwater. The taste is full, with fermented banana, oak and some earth, but very seamless in taste. Strong in flavor (as Jack can be) but in a very good way.
Finish:Earthy (lightly), light tannin, yellow fruits a little aged.
Overall:I really like this vatting. Good thing I've got a whole bottle. :)

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1427, Created:20090115222617, Updated:20090115222907)
Purchased at:Time-Out (New Castle, DE)
Purchased for:16.99 (375ml)
Info on this bottle:dusty, cork'd older style bottle
Nose:tropical fruit/ripe bananas (no surprise there); cedar box; pipe tobacco (less banana-y than the newer bottle version i had last year...i can only wonder, how old is THIS bottle i have? 2006? earlier? any way to tell?)
Taste:candied plantains; an 'upper' sweetness (meaning, pleasant but not of any depth...not so much uni-dimensional, but yes: short and sweet); warm honey; wheatberry bread; a slight spicey kick (at 80 proof?!)
Finish:something smokey but neatly packaged...not in a burned or rough sense (almost like an 'additive' but well 'integrated'!); pleasant coating of mouth that seems to hang out on the roof; all intensities and impressions fade fairly fast, but a minute later, a nice yeasty/malty sense prevails (might make a nice pour to pair with a quality ale...in a gentlemanly way! sipped, not shot).
Overall:again, a very dense ghost of a whiskey...this isn't bourbon...nor is it pretending to be...a really lovely drink, alot of impressions but the 80 proof keeps it just this side of being really IMPRESSIVE. at the same time, it might be, along with Benchmark, one of the better 80 proof american whiskies. perhaps the Irish and the Scots have the 80 proof market cornered pretty well...but all in all i will return to this or any newer bottlings in the future. never a waste of money and a nice change of pace. in a sense, this might be a nice challenge or tribute to the smoothness of canadian expressions and irish multiple-distilled examples. if smooth is the goal, this is almost a bullseye. but please, 90 proof would at least send a nice flaming arrow. i guess i really need to go ahead and try JDSB soon....

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1384, Created:20081209133620)
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Purchased for:$4 = 50ml (older bottle #G54723)
Info on this bottle:Gentleman Jack
Nose:Pale yellow color. The lightest nose thus far, bigger on taste. Sweet corn and allspice underpinning some butter. Simple, but alluring...
Taste:Ever so mild, light yet rich with good legs and a medium viscosity. Round. Buttered popcorn with a dry oak edge. A scent of perfume.
Finish:No peanuts, no salt, no banana, just good sweet corn.
Overall:Good enough to use as an after-shave! BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1326, Created:20081022151245) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:New Hampshire
Purchased for:$3.50 50ml
Info on this bottle:Gentleman Jack #G66663
Nose:Citrus, spice, butterscotch and vanilla, with huge legs. Lightly golden pale color, serving up wildflowers and honey aromas along with the quintessential banana toffee notes.
Taste:One big burn from an 80 Proofer. Bold, brassy, smooth, and very round. Impressive.
Finish:Bright with a charming warmth, residual honey tones linger in the background. Medium length... fun stuff.
Overall:An excellent 80 Proofer, perhaps one of the best if not The Best I have ever had... from the older sculpted version bottling. I would stock this if I could find it... taken neat in a tiny antique Courvoisier cognac snifter. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1289, Created:20080909221447)
Purchased at:NH
Purchased for:$3.50
Info on this bottle:Gentleman Jack
Nose:Hay and Grain
Taste:Quick drip, light, smooth, but nothing much to keep me occupied.
Finish:Gone.
Overall:Not a Thinker's whiskey.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 758, Created:20070429112805)
Purchased at:Taken home after a bourbon academy
Info on this bottle:early 2007 bottling before they changed to the flask style.
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Bananas and caramel and lots of both. It has the smokey Tennessee whiskey nose but banana fruit and caramel. A hint of spice is found if you warm your glass for a few seconds.
Taste:This whiskey has improved over the past couple of years - it has gained a finish and does not taste of brown vodka. There is a fruity banana flavor with some caramel and lots of wood smoke. It is still light flavors compared to most bourbons, but there is some flavor to be found.
Finish:It has one, which is an improvement over the past expressions. It is sweet and smokey and does not last too long, but there is a finish.
Overall:This is an improved product. I suspect either a little more age or a little less filtering has improved the flavor.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 686, Created:20070116145615)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:Gift 50 ml bottle
Nose:Charcoal/smoke and dry wood. Mild rye spice with a wee touch of caramel. There is also an aroma, not unpleasing, of rich dark soil that grounds the other aromas (pun intended).
Taste:The taste trumps the nose. A bit of a surprise in its overall corn sweetness in that there is little wood or smoke as the nose proposed. At mid-palate there is a nice rip of spice to subdue the sweetness.
Finish:A farily short finish with the rye spice taking a respectable bow on its way out.
Overall:A pleasant enough whiskey with nothing distinguishing to recommend it.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 393, Created:20060315173311)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:7.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Smokey wood and caramel with pears and banana fruits.
Taste:Thin but sweet - caramel apples and a little spice.
Finish:Short and sweet.
Overall:Very much like a Canadian whisky - try it in a manhattan.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews