Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJack Daniels Silver Select
Bottled ByJack Daniel Distillery Lynchburg,TN
TypeTN Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Not Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Available Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 24749
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2267, Created:20131021085058, Updated:20131021102007) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Frankfurt Airport Duty Free, current purchase
Nose:Light char and nuts, distinct cherry
Taste:Bright cherry notes, elegant despite high proof, slips off the tongue hardly noticed but leaving a rich impression
Finish:Similar to the taste except the distinctive Jack Daniels wood notes come through
Overall:Probably the best bottling I ever had. Mike's review of the 2011 Holiday Select could apply virtually unchanged to my bottle. I find this interesting since Silver Select is single barrel presumably - it still says that on the packaging although no longer are the specific barrel and warehouse numbers mentioned on the neck - and Holiday Select 2011 was batched from 187 barrels. I always thought the cherry notes in a lot of Silver Select come from careful barrel selection but perhaps not, unless the 187 barrels were all the same barrels chosen individually to make a run of Silver Select, that is possible. Anyway, Mike's might be better than mine since you would get added complexity from mingling so many different barrels. Yet I appreciate the singularity of mine (and it does taste like a single as best I can tell). Two ways to present a drink at its very best.

In contrast to the above, the regular SB, good as it is, seems heavier and often more banana-like (although I like this now). Not sure why this is. Either the Silver Select/Holiday Select 2011 were chosen differently, or, the higher proof perhaps brings out different notes.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2178, Created:20130405184704, Updated:20130405185003)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$60
Info on this bottle:Jack Daniel's 2011 Holiday Select - 100 proof
Nose:The aromas are light, there is a hint of maple syrup, some char, some oak, a whiff of cherries, some rye, leather, and at times an organo/vegetal aroma breaks in. The alcohol remains calm and indifferent to my nosing.
Taste:The subtle but insistent sweetness has distinct cherry overtones, along with vanilla, oak, and some char. At mid-palate the rye interrupts with its cinnamony/spicy notes that persist along with some heat.
Finish:Quite long as the spice and rye bite slowly take over from the cheery cherry sweetness.
Overall:This interation of JD is the sweetest I ever remember having, and the highest in proof. I suspect that many might find it too sweet...... but it recovers to deliver a more than mild dose of spice. Does it regain its American Whiskey legs? That is for the person who buys it to decide, but I am a quite content with it and even find it, when sipped and passed along the mouth and throat at a slightly accelerated pace, almost delicate...... and, dare I say it, maybe the best JD I have ever had? I could sit here and sip this whiskey until it (make that me) enters into oblivion, but experience tells me how foolish that would be of it (me). P.S. As for the famous bananas (which I know from my own experience in JD whiskey), yes we have no bananas, we have no bananas today.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2173, Created:20130328205132, Updated:20130328205352) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:see below
Purchased for:$60.00
Info on this bottle:Bought at Boston, MA Logan Airport Duty-Free
Nose:Very light, a little dark caramel
Taste:Rich and silky with a teak-like undertone, cherry tones. Zero banana. Sweetish and elegant. Very similar to a fine bourbon of similar age.
Finish:Even-flow, a little wood and heat
Overall:Excellent, better than the regular (domestic) SB I reviewed earlier today and that was tops too. Jack SB is really - or can be - a different animal.

Gary

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1103, Created:20080601211708)
Purchased at:
Nose:Light, and I mean very light bannana, vanilla and corn
Taste:Light liight bannana with a good balance....
Finish:Longer, better finer than teh other JDs
Overall:THe best JD I have had by a long shot. Good stuff....

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 619, Created:20061026180550, Updated:20061027111624) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Schipol Duty Free Amsterdam
Purchased for:? (gift)
Info on this bottle:bottled in April, 2006
Nose:Sweetish wood, some ethanol, light candy, corn, light char
Taste:Sweet oak flavors predominate, the alcohol is not very noticeable, the banana/acetone accents of regular JD hardly in evidence
Finish:More wood again with a long, slightly perfumed aftertaste and some faint tangs which may be the rye.
Overall:Very high rating. It is not quite as refined as the Silver Select I had earlier and lacks the black cherry notes of that one. But it is a solid drink of high quality whiskey. Perhaps it is a little less balanced than the Single Barrel (regular North American release) I reviewed recently but that might be too the effect of dropping proof in the former by 6 points. I note even less of the tangy aromatic "Jack" taste than in those other two (and they have less than regular Jack Daniels). I think filtration and lower proofs must accentuate that anise/perfume quality. This is excellent whiskey and close I believe to pre-Prohibition Jack Daniels. This is coming with me when I see Mike Veach and Gayle in mid-November.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 506, Created:20060514095539, Updated:20060514100207)
Purchased at:Aruba duty free
Purchased for:?
Info on this bottle:Bought by a friend in Caribbean last month and gifted to me half-full
Nose:Cherry-like with refined barrel tones, only a faint hint of the typical JD "banana anise"
Taste:Similar to the nose, lightly fruity, refined and more bourbon-like than the other JDs. Faint anise in the background. The high proof stands out, to the evident advantage of this drink.
Finish:Relatively short and here I think is where the Lincoln County Process finally shows its stuff.
Overall:By far the best JD I ever had. I don't know if this is just a particularly good bottle, because I read on SB that Silver Select is bottled at the same time Single Barrel is, i.e. there seems no differentiation other than proof. Yet I wonder whether Silver Select isn't chosen from their very best barrels. This surely is close to the barrel whiskey that made the renown of Old No. 7 before 1910 in Tennessee and far beyond.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews