Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameBlack Maple Hill 20 year old
Bottled ByKentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content96.7 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age20
Views (since 20080612) 23960
Bottling InfoA new 21 year old BMH is available but it is different whiskey from a different distiller now.

"scents of black pepper, moss and seared oak...a complex, multi-layered bouquet..the palate entry is succulent, ripe, and honey sweet..the midpalate is corny sweet and also tastes of ripe apples, honey, brown sugar, and maple; the finish is very extended, oaky sweet, and intensely honeyed...a decadent potent Bourbon that's IN THE PRIME OF ITS LIFE." Spirit Journal Rating 4 Star

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2037, Created:20120127220001)
Purchased at:Sampled in Tallahassee Florida
Purchased for:Free Sample
Info on this bottle:21 Years Old
Nose:Pleasant smell with ripe fruit and oak. Well balanced.
Taste:The front end was somewhat dryish but the middle pallet exuded freshpeaches and sweetness, decaying to a dryness. No alcohol burn.
Finish:A medium length finish, still showing fresh peaches in the middle. Medium long finish decaying to dryness.
Overall:I suspect this was a very old bottle and I loved it

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1820, Created:20100312214449)
Purchased at:
Nose:Nosed BMH 21 YO. Wiggled my toes........they work.
Taste:Tasted BMY 21 YO. Looked in the mirror..........its me........I look like my brother, a better man than I.
Finish:Subtle and delicate. Look over my glasses.........all is a blur.......so few see clearly, I be not among them.
Overall:Another sip..........so many mysteries.........so much to wonder about............plenty to love...........yes, now, take this gift, small but significant.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from sailor22 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1767, Created:20091129224713)
Purchased at:Lexington
Purchased for:worth every penny
Info on this bottle:this is 21yr barrel 7
Nose:OH man, leather first then the chocolate and caramel emerge, vanilla is next accompanied by rye, toffe, a little oak but no char. Later mellon waltzes in. Damn this is good - it makes your mouth water in anticipation.
Taste:The first taste is a little surprising because it begins so subtly save for the slight dry and spicy character at mid palate. You don't taste this so much as it slowly takes over your mouth and pulls delightful sweet sensations from every nook and cranny. It's doing the dance with your mouth that it's been doing with the barrel for the last 21 years.
Finish:With this Bourbon the taste and the finish are one in the same, just an evolution of the same candy and fruit dancing with a little dryness that it started with slowly fading and leaving you craving more.
Overall:I was going to sip this slowly and see if different flavors evolved over time. It's a testament to the delightful character of this Bourbon that I proved incapable of the task.
I think this barrel might be a touch dryer than some of the previous ones reviewed but I don't think it's in any way diminished for it.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1489, Created:20090216162913, Updated:20090216190651) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$109
Info on this bottle:21 YO - Cask 4
Proof Of this Bottle:95
Nose:Lots of leather, grapes as in white wine, pecans, maple syrup, sweetish oak, mild char, floral elements, along with a twist of mint, all conspire in a symphony of aromas that absorb the alcohol and tease the nose with great finese. I rubbed a skosh on my palm and the oak/char/leather arise first and then a touch of mint and at last some sweet/corn/oak wafts up (an interesting combination almost like sniffing a green twig broken off from a small sweet sapped tree).
Taste:Luxuriously rich corn and caramel entry that is thick and deeply penetrating in its intensity, yet soft and subtle in its effects. Oak plays softly but insistently in the background .............until.........a spicy mid-palate demonstration opens the back of the throat as if it were a flower opening to the sun. It is a refreshing minty/cinnamony duo that pulls the sweetness right with it, taking full advantage of the back of the mouth as it innocently and unconsciously opened for the faux attack of the spice.
Finish:Long, rich, deep. spicy.............the oak, ever present, dries out the remnents with a feathery softness.
Overall:The nose, mouth, and throat remain at risk because they have been seduced. They gape in a relaxed and vulnerable attitude, stunned and surprised by the truly exceptional........giving themselves completely over to their devinely sanctioned tasks. The mind (which often gets in the way of unalloyed enjoyment) has been mercifully sedated and rendered impotent by the immediacy of the moment.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1485, Created:20090213234050) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:do notremember
Purchased for:around $100
Info on this bottle:21 yr
Nose:ooooo this is good. This has a wonderful nose of chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, aged corn and just the right touches of alc.

As this opens up fresh leather and aged charred oak begin to appear. I could seriously crawl in the damn glass. I cannot get my nose in far enough???
Taste:Nice little burn with brown sugar, aged corn, vanilla cream and a plethora of other wonderful candy shop tastes in a drink made for the gods.

This is so smooth with just the perfect alc growing over time that nothing compares to this. The flavors are just enhanced by the length of time you are able to keep this in your mouth.
Finish:A light touch of citrus to go with the long piercing brown sugar, perfect alc burn and cream that ends this great finish.
Overall:I bought this based on Mike's notes a yr ago... good call.

I can understand the great reviews that this whiskey has gotten. So much depth and complexity??? I only wish I had a backup, and now I might have to go find one.
Other:
I am going to want to know the name, year and proof.

Review from J.King (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1242, Created:20080820120155, Updated:20080825142246)
Purchased at:Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$116.00
Info on this bottle:21 years old- from barrel number 5
Nose:[Olfactory impressions]Lots of maple, caramel and oak-get ready to eat the glass when you are finished!
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]Smoooooth!! Just like 21 year old is expected to be. I think it is better over crushed ice, but that mostly depends on my mood.
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]The lasting impression is of the maple and carmel -This bottle was a pleasant surprise!
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]I unfortunately ran out of my 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle, but fortunately live in the heart of bourbon counrty, Lexington, KY. I saw this bottle near the Van Winkle display and thought to give it a try due to the good reputation of the distillery it came from. WOW! What a nice surprise- I went back the next day and bought another bottle to set back for a rainy day. Now I have two different choices of bourbon on my top shelf.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 233, Created:20050803132627, Updated:20050803145133)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$109
Info on this bottle:Actually this is the 21 YO
Nose:A superb nose with honey, vanilla, clover, mint, leather, corn, rye, peaches all blended into an uncommonly rich and smooth aroma. Only a slight hint of oak or char.
Taste:Extremely smooth and satisfying. The taste is full bodied and creamy with well rounded character. It coats the entire mouth with wonderful bourbon essence. The rich flavor does not attack, it permeates and coats your mouth and reminds you what master distillers are put on earth for. This gives you that remarkable sensual experience that comes only from a limited number of the world's spirits. Makes me want to dance my pants away baby!!
Finish:This bourbon is great start to finish. There is nothing different about the finish from the upfront taste. It is completely consistent and utterly satisfying across the entire palate. All is in complete harmony, nothing needed, nothing lacking.
Overall:Dear bourbon friends, would I lead you astray? I don't know what prompted me to buy this stuff, but may I be so bold as to say that until you try this bourbon, something special is not in your bourbon world that should be. I had to break out the Pappy 20 and the WT Tribute to make sure my senses weren't being deceived. Happily, I can say that they ain't deceived. This is the real thing! This is an incredible bourbon. I wish all bourbon lovers could have a slice of this pie. Is it worth it? It is expensive to be sure, but I have zero regrets for having spent the money. Anyone who lives near enough to me to come for a free sample of this is welcome to a taste. I will gladly absorb the cost to see the pleasure spread across your face as you sip it! If you love bourbon (ain't leaving nobody out, am I?), beg, borrow, or steal a taste of this stuff! It belongs on the shelf above the top shelf!!! Some of you bourbon experts, go the freight and challenge me!

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews